New Year's day drive with my baby!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiLo Minis

Reaction score
We have this little grey gelding that has been my daughter's favourite since the day he was born. He is 4 years old now, gelded so he can be her's and broke to drive - only just. I started him last spring, left him over the summer and went to work on him again this fall. He is doing really well and I'm planning to get him out in the show ring this summer showing AMHR. Mickey has shown him in the fairs only for the last 4 years as she really hasn't been gung ho about the horses much to my chagrin. We went for our traditional Christmas day drive together at my suggestion and she was ready to turn around fairly quickly once it started to rain
default_no.gif

Today she came to me and asked if I would like to do something with her. I said what would you like to do? She said "Can we take Manny out for a drive?" MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!!!
default_biggrin.png
It was a beautiful winter day here today - nice light fluffy snow falling but not horribly cold. I hitched him up and out we went. He was feeling quite frisky and kept putting his head down and giving little hops and bouncing around, I had to reprimand him several times but Mickey was laughing at him and we had a good time - it was all just good spirits and not anything evil. Once he settled down and started to drive nicely I was really pleased with him. On the way back in I let Mickey take the reins (with me holding the bight) She walked him back to the barn but when she saw her daddy out filling the water troughs she drove over and said "look at me daddy!"

I'm just so happy and excited that she is finally starting to take a real interest in the horses, or at least "her" horses, I had to tell someone!

Once he settled down and started to drive nicely I was really pleased with him. On the way back in I let Mickey take the reins (with me holding the bight) She walked him back to the barn but when she saw her daddy out filling the water troughs she drove over and said "look at me daddy!"
I'm just so happy and excited that she is finally starting to take a real interest in the horses, or at least "her" horses, I had to tell someone!
It's amazing what a little "social pressure" will do!
default_biggrin.png
My son wanted to show last year, but didn't want to practice. He was much more apt to want to practice when he had an "audience".
default_rolleyes.gif
Kids love to show what they can do! It's good that Grandma lives next door.....

Congrats, Milo on your daughter taking interest. I don't know how old she is but I'm waiting for my granddaughter (only 4) to have more interest in showing the horses. Right now she wants to play with them more like Barbie horses. She wants to brush and comb and give them treats and occasionaly get rides but "work" is not in her vocabulary and my grandkids think showing is work!

That's awesome MiLo! Kids make it all so much more fun and I bet the fact that it's her Manny will make it much more enjoyable for Mickey. After all, we all prefer to do things with friends.
default_wink.png

Leia

You are so right about the audience thing
default_biggrin.png
Today she is talking about showing him at driving and how much better he went for her than for me probably because he is her horse and knows her better and he knows I can drive better than her so he had better behave
default_biggrin.png
I think she is giving him more credit and brains than he deserves but I am happy she thinks like that!

Lori, is this your first child planning to show? Don't be surprized if you can't "coach" your own kid like you can other people. Mine is bound and determined that I don't know anything! It is so frustrating!!!
default_wacko.png
He will listen to what Dad says more, which is why we are planning on him showing the big horse in Juniors. Spider will be able to pull Dad's bigger butt around better than Alax will! (I say that with the utmost respect for my husband.
default_wub.png
) Anyway, you might find less arguing if you have another person that you trust with your kid and your horse.
default_biggrin.png
Or maybe your kid isn't as strong willed as mine...but he's a great driver!

It's so much fun watching your kid "grow" with the horse! Congratulations!

This is my first and only kid and you are sooooo right! She has shown him at a couple fair shows in showmanship and "doesn't need me to tell her because they know what they are doing", her and Manny
default_biggrin.png
I have tried REALLY hard not to push her or do anything to turn her off of showing but she really doesn't care for halter much and prefers to ride or drive (she says) Manny really is good with her and I am hoping that he becomes a nice quiet driving horse that she will be able to show. I am thinking of getting a new easy entry so that I can drive with her in the classes to start. The only show worthy cart I have that is a 2 seater is too big for Manny (he is 33") She has driven with me many, many times and it was really neat yesterday when she took the reins herself for the first time, I didn't have to tell her how to hold them or use them - she already knew! But there is no way I would be able to sit and watch her drive in a class without being in the cart with her - at least not for a few years yet!

Don't worry Angie! I am already kicking my own butt that I didn't have the camera out yesterday to record the momentous event
default_laugh.png
I will be SURE to have one handy NEXT TIME!!!

GREAT TIMES!!!! I'm so happy she enjoyed her drive and that she took the reins and enjoyed it!!!! It will be fun watching her and Nick next summer driving.

But there is no way I would be able to sit and watch her drive in a class without being in the cart with her - at least not for a few years yet!

I TOTALLY know what you mean! The first time I coached a younger 4-Her on my horse, I was a NERVOUS WRECK! I so would have rather been in that ring than not, and I am a nervous exhibitor myself, so not having that "control" was AWFUL!
default_ohnoes.jpg

Now I am ready to give up that duty to Chad. I can't stand it when Kyle tells me, "Be quiet, Mom!" BTW, my coaching is pretty much related to, "Get out on the rail so you don't get ran over." or " Get off the rail into the less sandy spot, so your horse can pull." I found out that it helps when your kid knows what a rail is to come off of. I found out after the fact that he didn't know that, "stay off the rail" meant not by the fence. Communication breakdown there. Oops.
default_rolleyes.gif

Myrna

The MHCO allows a parent or coach to sit in the cart with junior drivers so I know where Mickey will be showing for the first while anyway
default_wink.png
But I do have to get a little more presentable cart to use for her and Manny and me!
default_biggrin.png

I would never have even given thought to "on or off the rail" and not knowing what I meant. I will have to keep that in mind when working with Mickey! I bet there are a ton of other things I take for granted that she and half my other students wouldn't know what I was referring to. That is food for thought!

Latest posts

Back