New with questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denali

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new donkey owner and I was hoping to get some help with some questions.

I had planned on buying a gelding or jennet or both as pets, but when I went to look at some jennets, they had been sold and all that was available was some jacks. I ended up buying one, with plans to geld him soon, because he is so sweet and gentle. Evidently he has been shown when he was young by his breeder, but was only hand bred and so has never lived with another donkey, just next to them. The person we bought from said she has tried but he just "runs" the jennets and horses and won't leave them alone. He was used to an old Nubian goat though, and was great with the barn cat and rooster, sharing his grain with them. So I brought him home and pastured him next to our three goats (Nigerian Dwarf's, which for those not familiar and mini dairy goats) until they got to know each other. Our animals are our pets and we use them for 4-H, so my goats are all wethers. After a few days, we tried pasturing them together and this seemed to help Levi, he didn't bray quite as often. He seemed to ignore the goats, who were a big afraid of him. However, the next day, one goat had a wet mark on his neck and was acting funny and I am pretty sure Levi grabbed him. So I separated them again and Levi is so sad. It least he seems sad, as he paces and brays all day and night. The goat is fine now, by the way.

So, now I am thinking I need to get another donkey. Which could be a trick, since I have two pastures and two small barns and am afraid to just stick a new donkey in either. I can easily split a pasture, but may have to build a stall for night, just to be safe for a while. We are looking for a vet that can geld Levi safely but not sure how long before he will be able to get along with another donkey, if ever, or if it would be better to get him a gelding friend or a jennet? Also, a mature donkey or a baby? If I got a baby, I probably could add them to the goat pasture easier because I would be afraid of them injuring a goat yet. However, I don't want Levi to injure a baby or juvenile if we try to pasture them at some point. So, I was just hoping for some opinions and what are my best options.

Levi is 10 by the way, and about 34" tall. He is incredibly with my kids, and so sweet with everyone. He loves attention and I was so impressed how much he seems to like my little ones (2 & 6) and lowers his head for them to pet him. When they are out in the pasture with me, he follows us around but won't move his feet if they are close, like he is being careful of their little feet! I am so impressed!!

I appreciate your help!

Vicki

Hi Vicki!

I am off to to take my guys to soccer and football and will re-read and answer your post better later
default_yes.gif
:

WELCOME!!

Hi, WELCOME to the forum from Wisconsin. :saludando: You said Levi is 10 yrs old right? Gelding him would be a good thing to do, but it is going to take him awhile to settle down, some jacks can be very aggressive especially at breeding season. I had a hinny jack who was gelded at the age of 3 yrs old, he was like that too...he would run my jennys and horses all darn day. He started doing this when he was about 21/2 yrs old, and was pastured with the jennys and horses (hinnys cant reproduce) but I hated seeing him do this, he is the sweetest little fellow out and LOVES anyone. After he was gelded it took him about 2 -3 months to calm down but after that I didnt have any problems at all. I do know some jacks that are gelded late, never do change there behavior habits. I guess if I would be you, after he is gelded, I would get him a gelded friend.
default_yes.gif
: A lone donkey is always a sad donkey, :no: they are herd animals. Sounds like you really do love your Levi. We would LOVE to see a picture of him. This forum LOVES pictures :bgrin :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: Corinne

Hi there & welcome :saludando: Levi sounds awesome...donkeys are so loving and amazing around children
default_yes.gif
: Is it possible that he is still adjusting to his new enviroment? How long have you had him? Ideally a donkey should be with a donkey...but in your case where he really likes the girls
default_rolleyes.gif
: I would get him gelded and like Corinne stated it will take some time for his hormones to settle
default_yes.gif
: Then you might want to introduce him to a donkey buddy.

*I love his name....post pics!! Teri

Levi has only been here a month, so it is very possible he is still settling in. I am checking on local vets right now and got a good reference for one close by that can do his castration. It has actually been quite cool here this week, but it has also rained for 3 days, yuck! So I will check the local weather and make sure we are not going to get a heat wave soon and then schedule him. Then we can move on to recovery and finding him a new friend!!! Yeah, more donkey shopping!!

I am also considering stalling Levi at night in the same barn as the goats, so he doesn't feel so lonely. Right now he brays several times through the night. If he can see the goats, but not harm them, he might feel a little better. I will work on moving things around this weekend.

I am working on pictures. I have done it before on other sites with my photobucket account, but those pics were put on quite a while ago. My computer settings have somehow changed and I can't figure out how to reduce pics and when I tried to post them here, it said the site doesn't accept IMG pics. The old pics do not have IMG in their addy, but the new pics do, so something has changed. The all are jpeg, but something has changed. Don't worry, I will keep working on it!!!

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Vicki

[SIZE=12pt]Welcome!! I'm sort of new to having mini donks too so maybe we can learn together. I will tell you one thing for sure, these people on here are SO helpful and nice!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: You won't find a better post anywhere!!
[/SIZE]

I am just beginning to bond with my little jack Cotton. He is a little over a year old, not gelded yet, and he runs my son's mini horse and one of our full size mares all over. :new_shocked: He loves to play! So I think that is very typical of jacks.

On the pictures, try copying the URL, not the IMG from photobucket and pasting it in the tree icon and see if that works. I had a frustrating time trying to get some pictures on here until Corinne, Julie and Teri helped me figure it out. So please keep trying so we can look at the little guy!!
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
Shannon

DSC00161.jpg

Here is a picture of Levi following us to the barn!! I hope this works!!

Vicki

Levi is SOOOOOO Cute !!!
default_yes.gif
: Give him a BIG hug for me & a baby carrot...he is sweet :aktion033:

default_wub.png
: He is adorable! Thanks for posting the picture :aktion033:

hey there how have things progressed with Levi? his story sounds VERY familiar, i think we may be on a yahoogroup or two together as well...

hey there how have things progressed with Levi? his story sounds VERY familiar, i think we may be on a yahoogroup or two together as well...
Levi is doing well. He now gelded and has 2 buddies, Brady and Zeke. They have been together for about a month now and get a long great unless they are eating!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Funny story. I was out running errands and my 15 year old daughter was home doing chores. She opened the gate, went in, flipped the latch so it wouldn't swing open and took the hay out to the barn. Well the wind was blowing so hard, it blew the gate the other way, and it swung open. Levi, bless his heart had followed her into the barn, but Brady and Zeke seen that open gate and hussled out to mow down on the grass in the yard. She ran out and shut the gate and chained it and then ran to catch the other two. Well, they were fine with being caught, as they were just a few feet away grazing. She had no halters or lead ropes with her and was afraid to leave them, so she tried wrapping her arms around Brady's neck and leading him back to the gate. He was fine with that, until she tried to unchain it and he realized what was she was doing and started backing up!! LOL She had her cell phone with her (never w/o it!
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) and tried to call me, but I was in the store and didn't have a good signal, so she called the neighbors. Luckily they were home and ran over and helped her. I really don't think the "boys" would have gone far, they are far to friendly, they just wanted some of that grass as they have ate most of theirs!!

I am on a couple of yahoogroups, so it is definitely possible you have seen his story somewhere.
default_wink.png
:

Vicki

Latest posts

Back