New video

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy Hogan

Reaction score
Hi gang,

Posted a fun video on training a horse to station. Just got this filmed before the big rains. At least we got some outdoor time.

enjoy!

Totally amazing. I have to pick up a crop before I open the gate to let mine out to the pasture; otherwise they'd run right over me.

Totally amazing. I have to pick up a crop before I open the gate to let mine out to the pasture; otherwise they'd run right over me.
Thanks so much for your comment.

The dinner time crunch is an interesting process.

It may seem simple, but one of my most favorite training accomplishments is the sequence (0:40) where Handsome and McKee are stationing and I let the third (buckskin filly) into the stall. McKee, the one closest to the stall, REALLY wants to get at her to drive her away. You can even see it in his expression but he knows he gets "paid" for stationing and so he does.

I guess it's a matter of what we're used to. Either we use a crop or rewards...whatever we need to do to keep control is the bottom line....

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing this. Rosie will "stand" on whatever I give her, but she doesn't want to stay there if I move away. This will give us something to work on for our "dance."
default_biggrin.png

Tucker doesn't like clippers for his halter path, so we worked on this today--only I use scratches instead of treats due to their age. He'll do anything for an enthusiastic praise and a scratch.

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing this. Rosie will "stand" on whatever I give her, but she doesn't want to stay there if I move away. This will give us something to work on for our "dance."
default_biggrin.png

Tucker doesn't like clippers for his halter path, so we worked on this today--only I use scratches instead of treats due to their age. He'll do anything for an enthusiastic praise and a scratch.
Scratches can certainly work well if the horse considers it "payment."

I have used their regular hay to treat with; it doesn't have to be sweet stuff or treats.

Here's a quick way to extend Rosie's "stand." Ask her to stand, then say to yourself "A, B" click/treat. Repeat and do "A, B' C" click/treat. Add D to the next sequence, then E. Be sure to back up and do an easy one, like "A, B." You don't always want it getting harder and harder for them.

Bet you'll get it quickly!

thanks for your post...

Love your video, really enjoyed it.

What do you use for treats? at a show I have used small dinner mints.

Love your video, really enjoyed it.What do you use for treats? at a show I have used small dinner mints.
I actually train with the pelleted food I feed them. If differs for each horse, but usually it's a combo of

Manna Pro Sr. (very little, it's sweet).

Triple Crown for minis

some alfalfa pellets

handfuls of grass (we don't have much of that here in So. Cal LOL)

carrots, apples, peppermints, applesmacks or whatever they seem to like in small amounts.

Mantra will do ANYthing for a plum...go figure.

Latest posts

Back