New to mini's, new here.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadows Fire

Reaction score
Hi, I have been offered a mini filly 2 years old. I saw her shortly after she was foaled and she was adorable, but its just now that they have decided to find her a new home. She leads and you can do her feet. When she was born I thought she was a palomino that would turn grey. She was palomino but her legs were a dark greyish color. Her sire is white grey.

But my friend owns him and showed me his papers and the picture of him looks like he might have been a silver dapple pinto that turned grey. His name is Sacred Ground Winter Wind. His pedigree is on all breed pedigree. The dam was papered but I don't know what her name was. She is a dark bay (might be a smokey black) One of them was carrying the cream gene cause she IS palomino-or could she be a silver buckskin?

But as a 2 year old I thought she would be much more greyed out than she is. She is still golden with white mane and tail but still has darker legs. I don't know now is she will grey out.

I know these aren't the best pictures but this is Summer. I don't have her at home yet....wanted to ask what you all thought of her. I want to use her at cart eventually. But I am having trouble deciding if I really want her.

will she outgrow these fuglies? Her baby pics are good, but her 2 year old pictures leave something to be desired. I do have experience with large horses, but not minis. She would room with an arab mare that LOVES "babies" and a little goat that the arab treats as if she is her baby. LOL

The first picture is as she is now, the second as a yearling all fuzzy, the third and forth as a 1 day old foal.

:modedit: Sorry....posting photos of horses that do not belong to you are not allowed on the Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
default_saludando.gif
I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I have no idea about coat colors, but there are plenty of folks on here that are color experts. I hope you find this forum as fun and informative (and addicting) as I do. I do think your filly will turn out to be a nice mare. A half shedded out horse is usually, well, goofy looking. Believe me, with my three geldings... I know
default_wink.png
You could body clip her if your weather is warm enough.

Again welcome!
default_smile.png

Welcome to the forum. You will love it here with all the help and encouragement you get from everyone you will learn so much and it will save you tons of time and making big huge mistakes.

She's not fugly she's cute! I'd body clip her up all over real nice, de-worm her out real good, feed her up a nice food and she's going to be very pretty no matter what color she ends up to be ! Wouldn't put her out with a big horse though.

Welcome!

Hi! Welcome from Kentucky
saludando.gif
GET HER! You'll love minis, they are so fun and sneak into your heart fast!

I'm no color expert by any means, but she may be silver bay what with the dark legs and all. Pretty girl!

I was wondering if she was a silver buckskin.
default_wink.png
But she could turn grey all the same. LOL

I am so tempted....She would have to live with my big horse, but I have no fear of her being hurt by her. She LOVES baby's, in fact she will even let the stinking goat nurse. Goat was no baby when she came but to Shadow she was little and cute, she likes little and cute. Should have seen her with the calf or the sheep that was a 4-H project. LOL I have no doubts she will be gentle and kind and let the little one rule the roost like the goat does.

It was funny at one point I had to board her out. I took both goat and horse and after introduction they were turned out with the herd. Because Shadow treated Nana goat as a foal so did the rest of them, including having a "babysitter" mare to watch out for her "foal" when she was ridden. It was so funny. The horses would come thundering in to eat at night (after a day of grazing) and in the midst of them was this fat little white goat with the horses being so careful not to step on her.

I'm going to wait until after the 4th of July to bring her home. We live less than a 1/4 mile from where they do the fireworks in town so don't want to freak her out. Shadow doesn't get upset, but Nana hides from the big booms.

I was wondering, I feed alfalfa pellets and cheap grass hay for fiber how many pounds of pellets should I give her?

default_saludando.gif
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I agree with some of the others comments, there is no bad color for a good horse......

I only had riding horses until 2 years ago, then we met some people with minis. I fell in love with the breed immediately.
default_wub.png

You will never be sorry about including her in your life, just be fore warned, one is just never enough! (we now have five)

We enjoy doing parades, and nursing home visits with them, and they are just incredible to drive!

Well I have decided to take her. But don't want her coming until after the 4th of July. We live too close to town where they shoot off the fireworks and I don't want her to get scared and hurt herself. So probably next week I will have a new little horse in my corral.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back