New to mini horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean A

Reaction score
Hi Folks...

I am not new to the farm, but am new to minis.

I am purchasing a couple (1yr to be gelded, 12yr proven mare due to foal this spring), mostly for my granddaughters, though I am a bit silly over them myself, haha.

We have had horses in the past, cattle, and mini donkeys..honestly the mini mare foaling scares me a little. She (reportedly) has never had problems foaling. The gentleman I am purchasing from is very elderly(90s), and not really able to care for his stock. I won't bring them home without a negative Coggins, and they will need shots and farrier work. No problems there, we have a great mini farrier, and vet.

Sooo..am I headed for disaster? Is fescue hay and pasture really a cause for alarm?

Thanks for your help,

Jean A

Am I crazy???

I would definitely find hay without fescue in it, it can cause pregnancies issues, mostly at birthing time (lack of milk, thick placenta and a few other issues). See if you can find a different grass hay without fescue, the last 90 days (it might be a shorter time) of pregnancy its crucial she doesn't have the fescue. [if she's closer, then you'll want to get some domperidone from your vet to help her milk come in.]

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis; in general they are just like full-size horses with a few differences... Never use Quest (moxidectin) dewormer on them, and be extremely careful of dosage if you must use bute.

Thank you, Chanda!

Here in NC, seems everyone has some amount of fescue..is it ok for other than pregnancy? I'm assuming the problem is the toxins if it molds..the pastures are always groomed, buy local hay can't be guaranteed. Enen what is "god quality horse hay" is a mix.

I'll get something on hand for her..

These horses are unregistered, pasture bred..no vet, nada..

Its not the fescue itself but an endophyte fungus that infects the fescue, and its very hard to find fescue that isn't infested. To my knowledge its just pregnant mares, and maybe growing foals that have a problem with it. I know it would cost a bit more, but perhaps through her pregnancy you can get her bagged chopped hay to avoid the fescue issue, if you can't find safe baled hay. Most TSCs have one of two brands, if not in-stock, perhaps they'd order for you; either TNT chopped hay (alfalfa/timothy mix) or Lucerne Farms (Hi Fiber, its a mix of grass, oat and alfalfa). And, some TSCs have the Standlee hay company compressed bales, I think they have both the alfalfa and the timothy. [Other supply stores might also carry something similar.] If you can get Triple Crown products, they have 3 bagged forage products: Safe Starch Forage (fortified chopped timothy, all you need is in the bagged), chopped timothy and chopped alfalfa.

Welcome to the forum, from Southern Maryland! Pleas don't feed fescue to your mini mare, as others have stated, it causes alot of problems with all equine that are in foal. Your in the east like me, so see if you can find anything else such as alfalfa, lespediza, orchard grass, or bagged hay for your brood mare, it will save you heartache and money in the long run.

We do happen to have a TSC in town (since they built the new WalMart. I miss the small farm supplies, now there are only 4 in the county, and only 2 that bag their own grains. Hay has been a problem in NC..many have sold out of state to get the higher prices, though last couple of years regular hay was $14 a bale. One of my pastures was overgrazed, so i will plan on seeding with other than fescue, gladly.

I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate the help. I wish I could bring all these horses home! I am working with several local folks to get them homes with good care. I just hope I'm not crazy, thinking I can handle a foal, everyone has a first time.

My 5 granddaughters are beside themselves with joy..nearly overdosed on the cuteness, lol. My husband is supportive, and my kids will help. I did shy away fron the younger mares..2yrs is too young, in my opinion. His mares all foal alone and unattended..I will have her vet checked as soon as she gets here, which will ba as soon as she passes the Coggins...

The horses are between 32" and 36", any info on total amount of hay/feed needed each day (mare)?

Thanks much,

Jean

Welcome to minis & to the forum!!!
default_saludando.gif

There are tons of links with info here http://www.lilbeginnings.com/links/info/

Including several pages about breeding (foaling)!!!

I hope you can find out how far along your mare is.

A fantasic book is Blessed Are The Broodmares
default_yes.gif

Everyone has a different opinion on what to feed and how much. I'll tell you what I do and I'm sure others will chime in. For my pregnant mares, two cups of pelleted hay replacer, two cups of mare and foal pelleted feed, twice a day. one flake of hay twice a day. My non-working horses even the "B" size get two cups pelleted hay replacer, two cups 14% grain, pelleted, and one flake of hay twice a day. I'm not sure on feeding the bagged hay, as I'm just now trying to figure that out myself. My show horses get the same grain ration as the non working horses but I add a cup of black sunflower seeds and the hay is half a flake of alfalfa and half a flake of grass hay. I only feed pelleted feed because a couple of mine get really lose stools on sweet feed, also I feed my show horse soaked beet pulp, here again two cups or one mini scoop. I bought my mini scoops from Star Lake Tack. (Not sure I'm allowed to post that) Good LUck

She appears to be well along, due within the next two months, is my guess. I know what to watch for, and can see the barn from the house..don't have to 'go' anywhere.

I spoke to my long time supplier..Timothy is $13/bale. TSC has coastal orchard for $8. I hate that for the family stores, not easy for them.

One note..don't worry when I spoke of cattle, we have all high tensile wire fencing. Not an inch of barbed wire on the farm! Have 3 box stalls that will be fine for foaling. And a wonderful vet!!!

Hello from Raleigh, NC. Where in NC are you located? Coastal is pretty popular around here. If you have any questions feel free to ask. There are lots of mini people here in the state and on LB.

She appears to be well along, due within the next two months, is my guess. I know what to watch for, and can see the barn from the house..don't have to 'go' anywhere.

I spoke to my long time supplier..Timothy is $13/bale. TSC has coastal orchard for $8. I hate that for the family stores, not easy for them.

One note..don't worry when I spoke of cattle, we have all high tensile wire fencing. Not an inch of barbed wire on the farm! Have 3 box stalls that will be fine for foaling. And a wonderful vet!!!
be sure to compare the weight of those bales, small squares can vary greatly in size from only about 50# to over 100#; so while the $13/bale hay might sound expensive, if its a heavier bale, it might be the better option economy wise. [The small bales I get are around 70-75# each.]

Depending on the weight and cost difference (for same weight); I'd be inclined to go with the timothy hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Four..

I am near Albemarle..between you and Charlotte. These horses amount to rescues, they will be show quality only as far as my granddaughters are concerned (case in point, mini donkey geldings with braided tails, and bows in their manes, lol!!)

Years ago, the horses here were mostly family, and quarters with the cattle on pasture. In the past few years, we have gone to huge operations with beautiful barns and homes..gigantic trailers pulled by semis. Not many of us left with a few beef cattle (one for the freezer, 3 to sell), an old pet Angus heifer, and either a couple of horses or donkeys. It's mostly polo ponies and show. It's fine, but the prices of everything has gone sky high. Worse south of Charlotte, I hear.

I just want the grandkids to understand where food comes from, and how life 'works'. One son ran across these mini's, and my daughter made me look.This is all her fault!!!

Hoping the test is good, and we'll have them home on Saturday. Then I start hoping all goes well for the foal.

Hi Chanda..

I have had loose bales before. It is amazing how much difference there can be. Unless I know the supplier, I always check the bales for temperature and moisture as well. Sometimes a heavy bale is damp in the middle, and will mold (or burn!).

Right now, I need to figure up what we'll need for a few months, so I can buy enough. Shortages always happen here in winter. And I was so smug last Spring, with 150baales in the barn, lol..

Calling the horse owner now, fingers crossed..

We feed our guys coastal and they do fine on it. I would definitely stay away from the fescue. Once your mare had foaled and both are doing well it's OK but not at this point in time.

Congrats on you new kids, and you KNOW pictures are required once you get them!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back