New to driving!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I get the word that I'm cancer free I intend to pamper myself with a driving lesson. So now, I need to find a teacher who knows what they are doing and doesn't look down on minis. I found one a year or so ago but she referred to minis as brats and not a horse of quality so left with a sour taste in my mouth.
That is so sad, but I've dealt with that the whole time I've owned the Shetland ponies (since 1995) and also with the Arabs (they are "flighty", "mean", "unsafe for children" - don't 'ya know? ) I've proven many vets, farriers AND trainers WRONG about both breeds - but yes it's been an uphill battle! And folks remember the bad ones LONG before they remember the good ones... Part of the problem is that Shetlands and Minis are SMART - and they can/will often take advantage of the unwary or someone who doesn't know or anyone who isn't paying attention. A lot of Shetlands/minis will make you pay attention or they will go off and do their own thing - at all the wrong times,
default_smile.png
. And trust me - combining the Shetland and the Arab (we've done many such Xs and will again in the future) - tried my patience at times...

Persevere! Maybe even call that same trainer back and see if you can talk to her (?) about the basics. Trust me, when I approached several different trainers/instructors for lessons/training - they backed up in a hurry when they found out that I had Shetlands. Then I didn't have the proper gear either, when I first started out! WOW, that got interesting. A lot of people have been amazed at how I've done and how the ponies do and how well that "inappropriate" harness has worked/lasted...

OR look around some more - there are drivers in NY. I just don't really know where in relation to you.

We are here to be a sounding board if/when you need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Original OP - I see that I also didn't mention a tack store that advertises right here on LB - Mini Express. They have several of the books that I mentioned as well as a good video series to get started with.

Sorry, that I missed them - sure didn't mean to!

Hahaha I was laughing too, it's ok I know it's hard to know where places are. Yeah new York (any part of it) is still at least 3 hours driving. So still too far but I will look into some of those books etc and see what I can find! Maybe even a chapters run if they have some (what a shame that would be ?)

I was out working with Seven this afternoon, we are still working on his walking and not putting on the breaks because "he doesn't want to", then after awhile I brought out the lunge line and proceeded to try to get him started. As usual he did a lot of rearing up at me and since I didn't give in he then took off at a gallop and after a few turns pulled the line out of my hand and took off. I know I was starting to get really mad at him so when he stopped and I could get near him, took halter off and left him standing there and went inside. Spent a half hour cooling off, then went back out with halter in hand and with a lead started walking him, when he put on the breaks I started turning him in tight circles to see if he would cross over both front and back. Was looking good so did both directions with him and practiced his back-ups along with some more walking and stops. He did good so praised the dickens out of him. Ended on a good note instead of listing him on craigs list like I was about to. I want to be able to walk him outside his pen but he just isn't ready. Will try that with snow on the ground and he can't see grass. A standardbred trainer told me the best way to get his attention was to put a bit in his mouth, what do you all think about that? Paintponylvr, you are correct they are way too smart for their little britches.

Lmao lucky seven that sounds like fun! I have a little colt whoa the same...but I have been walking him outside the paddock in thr bunch since he was a couple months old...that's resulted in a couple escape attempts but he learned. I also found that being away made him uncomfortable and more willing to listen to me when I ask him to do somthing. That's the only way I could get he and his sister halter broke they were terrible foals to break!

I was out working with Seven this afternoon, we are still working on his walking and not putting on the breaks because "he doesn't want to", then after awhile I brought out the lunge line and proceeded to try to get him started. As usual he did a lot of rearing up at me and since I didn't give in he then took off at a gallop and after a few turns pulled the line out of my hand and took off. I know I was starting to get really mad at him so when he stopped and I could get near him, took halter off and left him standing there and went inside. Spent a half hour cooling off, then went back out with halter in hand and with a lead started walking him, when he put on the breaks I started turning him in tight circles to see if he would cross over both front and back. Was looking good so did both directions with him and practiced his back-ups along with some more walking and stops. He did good so praised the dickens out of him. Ended on a good note instead of listing him on craigs list like I was about to. I want to be able to walk him outside his pen but he just isn't ready. Will try that with snow on the ground and he can't see grass. A standardbred trainer told me the best way to get his attention was to put a bit in his mouth, what do you all think about that? Paintponylvr, you are correct they are way too smart for their little britches.
I have had horses rear up at me. A very effective way to stop this unwanted, dangerous behavior is to rush TOWARD the horse, shouting and yelling, and make him back back back back back BACK

O brother. I hit something that sent my message before I was finished with it!

Anyway, make him back up from you and don't waste any time making him do it. Smack his chest or knees with the whip and MAKE him move away from your space. Charge into him like a ferocious bear! Mean it! It only takes a couple of times of this to cure that behavior. Scare him good.

Always carry your whip when you work with him. I call it my arm extender. I can reach parts of his body that are too far away for my arm. A tap on the rump with the whip will get him moving beside you on the lead. I use the butt of the whip for our backing exercises, tapping a shoulder to steer him straight. The whip butt also works well for scratches on the shoulder and rump as rewards.

Don't be afraid he won't like you if you are in charge. He will be a better companion if he is respectful. And if he is not a good companion, then that is when one is tempted by Craigs List. We are doing them a favor to teach them respect.

As for the bit advice, a bit is like a whip--a tool. Used appropriately, it is an excellent tool. If you are ground driving him, certainly you need to introduce the bit.

Training is a lot of work. But if we don't do it, it will never get done. Where are the Driving Brownies when we need them? I would gladly leave a bowl of milk out if Brownies would come and magically train my horse in the night...

Worked today so not able to work with him, I do use a whip when I lunge but not when he's on a lead, will do that next time. When he nips at me, I use the flat of my hand and his jaw feels a little smack, just to let him know I won't accept his bad behavior. He's learning that rearing doesn't get him anywhere but the next time he will think I turned into those dreaded mini eating deer he's afraid of! That's why I don't walk him in the open, his lack of respect. Looking for a harness now so that I can start this winter or spring if I think he's ready. I really want for the both of us to companions that want to be together. Glad you got a laugh out of my training experience with him, be both learned a lot from it, just not sure his was a positive one. lol

Latest posts

Back