New to driving!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinchesterGirl30

Reaction score
Hey all, I have 5 minis, two mares I have had for 8 years, one 5 yer old born with me and two new foqls this year. But I haven't done any driving with them! So I'm starting to try to get into it now, but I need any advice you all can give me. Any tips on getting started with training and how to do it would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance.

O, boy, a new driver!!! YAAYYY!

So, driving can be the most fun you've ever had. It is also considered the most dangerous of equine activities. Anything you can do to add to your safety is good to know, learn and practice.

The best way to learn is to take lessons with a REPUTABLE driving instructor. Doesn't have to be with minis. Next would be to get good books and DVDs.

A great basic book is "Breaking and Training the Driving Horse" by Doris Ganton.

Another would be "Train your Miniature Horse to Drive" by Pat Elder. She is supposed to be doing a companion DVD for this, but I haven't seen it yet. I WILL PURCHASE it when it becomes available.

DVD - Basics -

Teach Your Horse to Drive - Lesson 1 & Lesson 2 by Mary Ruth Marks

There are many, many others - some address safety, some address nothing but ground or line driving, some are meant for pairs, some are for certain competitions. They would all build on the basics and you can pick and choose what to utilize that helps you learn. I've purchased several books and DVDs that I consider a waste of money - either due to my being past what they are teaching and I felt I could have used the money elsewhere or I felt that the "teaching" was wrong for me (a well known trainer, who was recommended to me to watch/get if I could - put me to sleep. Those DVDs were expensive!!)... I no longer have all my links/lists thru my website (down and in-accessible) and since our move 9 months ago, we still haven't gotten all the DVDs and books unpacked yet.

I personally like the website Rural Heritage and their links to driving info. YES, most of it is only farm related, but they do carry a vast amount of books and reading what is meant for Draft Horse driving folk is eye opening and covers a tremendous amount of info - amazingly a lot can be used by the pleasure horse driver of single horses. LOVE, LOVE LOVE - Training Horses, Training Teamsters and The Work Horse Handbook both by LR Miller; Farming with Horses or the new edition called Driving Horses: how to harness, hitch & align your horse for work or play - by Steve Bowers.

I'm still working on my list of books/DVDs to learn from... I've invested in many over the last 15 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thank you that's amazing! I'll definitely look into some of those and see what looks good for me! Thank you!

Also - google "equine DVD rental" or some such. I believe there are 2 DVD companies that specialize in renting, thru the mail, DVDs for horse folk. You could rent them in succession and decide which ones are relevant to you (you will start picking up on that, trust me) and then could purchase your own so that you can watch them again and again whenever necessary.

I haven't tried that out yet.

What I like about the 1st two books I mentioned as well - they are both under $20. The others I mentioned - are substantially more but also have many, many more pages of detailed info and pictures, pictures, pictures.

WOW!! Just went out to Amazon and they have a WHOLE BUNCH of "new" driving books I haven't seen and I don't remember coming up on my searches in the not so distant past!!

They also have that Doris Ganton book for $10.90 if you have amazon prime (which I do)... Low enough you might be able to do more than one book at a time. (We have a vast & varied LIBRARY - our whole family LIKES getting books. We all drool over whatever anyone has ordered - well my family not so much when I get the driving books, LOL)

OK instead of listing books right now, I'm just going to do links to pages/sites that have books for sale - some the same and some VERY different. LOTS of driving books out there these days. I don't favor the Allen pictorial books (drawn) - they might work for children, but some of the concepts to/for me are dangerous and there just isn't that much info in them. They aren't expensive, but I'd personally recommend saving that money and applying it to some of the other books instead. I haven't seen the Allen pictorials done with photos before...

The first two are advertisers here on LB -

Ozark Mtn Mini Horse Tack - Driving books

Star Lake Tack - Books

Mischka Press - Part of Rural Heritage, but lots of GOOD DRIVING books, videos and DVDs.

Big Black Horse LLC - Driving books - good selection of all types - some I haven't seen before

Carriage and Driving - Books

Driving Essentials - I have been to a clinic that featured him as a clinician and have been on several driving forums that he writes on when he has time. VERY informative, answers questions etc. The clinic I saw/went to was more advanced and much of what was discussed and worked with was "way above" where I was at the time, but I DID take some info home from it and that little bit made a HUGE difference in the response of some of my driving ponies. If/when I can, I will attend other functions he instructs at!!

Wild Horse Books & Art - Driving Books - some I haven't seen before! Nice selection.

Mini Horse & Pony Tack Guide - Has a harnessing video using a mini horse - but doesn't actually cover placement of the harness, breeching or any adjustments for correct fit...

In MHO - the two most important "gaits" and words you can teach your horse are "WHOA" and "STAND". And that starts long before driving does.

A simple "Rein Board" goes a long way in teaching you how to handle the lines and a whip BEFORE you handle your horse(s). Can be as simple as using small water bottles filled w/ water or sand, attached to some type of lines to practice with and draped over a fence rail to use. The lines from your harness (if you already have one), leather reins from "biggies"/riding, leadropes for minis that match in type, weight and length. The leadropes I favor (longer, thicker w/ heavy duty snaps are too heavy, imo, to use for practice -well they WOULD strengthen your arms/hands!!

I am not a show horse trainer and if your eventual goal is to show in AMHR or ASPC - you really should get together w/ a trainer/instructor that teaches that from the beginning. There are differences - in what/how you drive and in training/presenting your horse.

Yay I'm Not the noob anymore haha! Welcome
default_smile.png

Once I get the word that I'm cancer free I intend to pamper myself with a driving lesson. So now, I need to find a teacher who knows what they are doing and doesn't look down on minis. I found one a year or so ago but she referred to minis as brats and not a horse of quality so left with a sour taste in my mouth.

Once I get the word that I'm cancer free I intend to pamper myself with a driving lesson. So now, I need to find a teacher who knows what they are doing and doesn't look down on minis. I found one a year or so ago but she referred to minis as brats and not a horse of quality so left with a sour taste in my mouth.
Very unprofessional!! A true trainer would know how to help an owner with behavioral issues. And that assumes that there are no full size horse brats... Big or little, horses are still horses.

You should have some options in your part of the world. Check the American Driving Society or contact AMHA for someone in your area to help with training.

I was lucky enough to find a CDE trainer willing to give me lessons on the dressage side of things to help me continue to move my boys forward in our driving efforts. I actually just googled and searched till I found someone semi-close and sent out an email. I come from a Eventing and Show Jumping background so I understand the concepts but not how to do it without being seated on a horse.

Lessons can get pricey depending on the trainers accomplishments etc but if they are one of the best then its definitely worth the money spent.

Yeah the money is why lessons may not be in the cards for a while yet. I'm just starting out in my career in the trades so my pay isn't great. Unfortunately paying for what they need might be all I can do right now. I don't really plan to compete or anything more just for my own fun around home qnd take my little cousins for rides. So we will get there just might be slowly.

Just a thought but some places will let you work off lessons by doing chores around the farm, cleaning stalls, bringing horses in etc. Lessons are always good even if you are not competing; you can develop habits that are not good to have and a trainer can clue you in on that.

I just started driving this spring and it is a lot of fun especially with the right horse
default_smile.png

Yeah I know some places will bUT unfortunately again due to my job I don't have much time to do my own chores and someone else's on top of lessons and work etc. Lol. Paying for lessons would be much more reasonable. The other thing is there isn't that many mini farms in my area. I know one lady who does lessons who I found through Facebook but she lives 2 hours away and the closest she travels is still an hour and a half from me. So first I'll have to try to fond someone closer to home to help me out.

My avatar horse and I learned with each other. It can be done. Then you can tweak your skills with lessons as you go along. That is not ideal, but plenty of people start driving that way. I know I made lots of mistakes, but we both survived them and enjoy our drives together. Go for it.

A good driving trainer should be able to give you lessons no matter what breed of horse you have, doesn't necessarily have to be a mini trainer; those are few and far between, most will only train your horse and not you.

I can understand the time issue; I am right there with you, I barely have time for myself
default_smile.png

I'm near ottawa Ontario Canada lol yeah Marsha it might have to be training myself for the first bit anyway, I hAve already started doing some of that with my horses and me ?

Lmao oh only about a week of driving or 6 hours flying ? Edmonton is the other side of the contract from me lol

Latest posts

Back