new TINY kitten

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Mia showed up last night from visitation with her Dad with a BABY kitten!~maybe 3-4 weeks old...maybe! They heard them in his garage and DUG them out, literally, with a stick...Mia said she wanted to take one home and of course her Dad said OK. I couldn't really say no
default_sad.png
I did tell Mia AND her Dad to their FACES that I'd take this one home, but NO MORE ANIMALS, PERIOD!

So we had to go to the grocery store and get kitten formula & food. Mia was filthy from crawing around on the shop/garage floor, so she had to have a bath when we got home. She finally got into bed a little after 10.

I hope this poor baby girl makes it. I got her to pee this AM by rubbing her butt...what fun @@. I've tried to prepare Mia for loosing her, but I still HOPE she makes it...she's a beautiful baby.....long haired grey with calico spots and blue eyes.

Oh and Zac wants to eat her head~LOL She had to have to have a bath, as she's been crawling though her food too, as well as just being dirty from being a wild kitty. I got her dry before I put her back to be though. She was ticksed and biting me with baby bites. I think Zac will learn to crawl, just so he can get to her kennel faster! Scootching on his butt and rolling over there just isn't fast enough for him!

Do ya'll have any advice on raising itty bitty kittens? She has kitten formula in a small, short, heavy shallow (Fiesta Ware!) bowl, same with about 1/2" of water and watered down dry kitten food. Goodness knows what Steve's Grandma would have thought about her dishes being used for a kitten
default_rolleyes.gif
: I got her to lap up a little kitten formula this morning and she peed a LOT for me in the last hour or so.

Oh, I bet she's sweet! Would love to see a photo of her when you have the time to take one.

I wouldn't have any more advise than what you are already doing, maybe someone else will chime in. Do you see the kitten eating and drinking anything?

I found a tiny white kitten out in my horse pasture once, burried in some hay in front of my horses feeder. It's amazing she was never stepped on! I took her to the vet, but it was already to late for her, and the vet recommended putting her to sleep peacfully. It was very sad, so I really hope for you daughters sake, that your little kitten hangs in there. Sounds like you are giving her a wonderful chance though!!

Laura,

She may not eat out of a saucer. But I succesfully syringe fed a week old kitten and she lived 16 years, just put her to sleep. She never would suck on a nipple for me, butI would squeeze a few drops at a time into her mouth and she would lap it up that way. After a few weeks, I started her on warm kitten formula slightly thicked with baby rice cereal, warm but not hot(same with the formula) Can't be cold. It CAN work with a little luck.

Good Luck!

Robin

Hi Laura,

I handfed 3 kittens from about 1 1/2 weeks old. What a chore, but worth it. I'd do it again. But, since yours is about 3-4 weeks, she should be pretty easy. Mix canned food and kitten formula (Walmart has it) together to make it soupy. If it don't take too it, put the food on your finger, popsickle stick, or syringe and put it in her mouth. If it's soupy enough, she shouldn't really need water. As she gets a few days to a week older, you should be able to start thickening the food up, then maybe trying to get her to drink water. I think it's really important to make sure she stays warm all the time. I think that hand raised kittens are different from parent raised ones, in that they are more attached and not the typical cat. I hope this helps and she turns out to be a good cat.

P.S. Cuervo sends kisses and hugs
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Edited to say that this has been my experience, but it may not work for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Laura,

I handfed 3 kittens from about 1 1/2 weeks old. What a chore, but worth it. I'd do it again. But, since yours is about 3-4 weeks, she should be pretty easy. Mix canned food and kitten formula (Walmart has it) together to make it soupy. If it don't take too it, put the food on your finger, popsickle stick, or syringe and put it in her mouth. If it's soupy enough, she shouldn't really need water. As she gets a few days to a week older, you should be able to start thickening the food up, then maybe trying to get her to drink water. I think it's really important to make sure she stays warm all the time. I think that hand raised kittens are different from parent raised ones, in that they are more attached and not the typical cat. I hope this helps and she turns out to be a good cat.

P.S. Cuervo sends kisses and hugs
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Edited to say that this has been my experience, but it may not work for everyone.
[SIZE=12pt]Thanks everyone. I'm feeding her from en eye dropper right now, mixed kitten formula & kitten food. She's still peeing well and is way p i s s e d, which has to be good.
default_yes.gif
: [/SIZE]

Shauna, how is that boy of mine doing????

You've said a couple of times that she's peeing, but is she pooping at all? You may have to wipe her hiney to help her go.

I think you've received good advice from all above.........

Years ago we took in a tiny kitten who's eyes weren't even open........momma cat had been run over.

We eye-dropper fed him kitten formula, added the Gerber rice cereal to it gradually, and taught him how to lap out of a dish by dropping the eye-dropper down into the dish. Once he discovered his tongue <LOL> we started thickening his food up even more until he was eating regular canned food and moist kitten chow.

And yes, we had to dab his hinney with a warm wet cloth to encourage him to go potty.........

I think you'll do fine!

MA

PS: Our fellow lived to be 17 years old.

Latest posts

Back