*new* show cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyborFarm

Reaction score
I've had a show cart since I bought my mini about 7years ago. It was in pieces when I got it and this year Im going to use it. Didn't have the nerve when I first had it and I didn't want to sell it. Im working on putting it together and repainting it. It looks like a Jerald show cart, but it looks much bigger (wider) then a Jerald. The seat of the cart itself is 43inches. with a 42inch wheel-to-wheel span. Also, does anybody know where to buy a basket for one? Ive looked on the Jerald website but they dont seem to sell the basket seperately. Im making a poplar wood floor for it, but I would like to find a basket for it as well. There are also no stirrups on it.

Please note that the blue things on it are zip-ties that are holding it together. I have to go hardware shopping this week.

The back view.

newcart005.jpg

An angled view.

newcart003.jpg

Front view.

newcart002.jpg

Overall view.

newcart001.jpg

Thanks all.

I do not know where you can get a basket for it but can give this a bump and maybe someone who knows will see your post!

Can't wait though to see your finished pictures of it!!!

Let me know if oyu find a wayt o achive this I have my Eye ona cheap roadster cart I could Fix up.

Are those metal shafts? It doesn't look like a Jerald to me but it does look like the cart I use to train in. Its a good cart. You could build a basket yourself, I know I was going to do one for the little cart I have because I needed one more show cart. Of course with all my spare time I haven't done it yet. However, if you need some help "building a basket" I can get the metal framework for you. Linda B

Hot stuff! It looks just like Mary Lou's training cart. So Im going to assume that's exactly what it is. Yes Linda, those are metal shafts. Thanks also for offering the metal framework ^_^ I dont know if Im going to need it yet, Im working on building a wood floor in it out of poplar. Also, Mary Lou thank you for posting that picture. Now I can see how to put it together right!

it is indeed a training cart. I have a few identical to that here that i use to break my horses with. One i put new hardwood slats on the basket. I THINK she means the "boot cover" not the basket. the basket is the actual part your saying that you are making out of poplar..the boot cover is the black vinyl cover... is that what your looking for?

Here are my before and after pictures. Hubby rebuilt from the old frame. The cart has worked well for a starting cart.

P9020022.jpg

P9020023.jpg

P9110006.jpg

it is indeed a training cart. I have a few identical to that here that i use to break my horses with. One i put new hardwood slats on the basket. I THINK she means the "boot cover" not the basket. the basket is the actual part your saying that you are making out of poplar..the boot cover is the black vinyl cover... is that what your looking for?
Ok, boot cover, yeah, that'd be what Im looking for. Yep, the floor is being made out of poplar (which Im buying tonight). I've always driven with an easy entry cart (which I wish I could find another one. Its a Pensbury Enterprise). As soon as I get wood and hardware Im going to hitch my guy up. Wish us luck.

you would probably be best off having one made specifically for your cart. the baskets on those carts are not made the same as show cart baskets ( i beleive they are wider too) and probably you will not be able to buy one off the shelf that will fit it. I ended up making some for mine (this was before i had show carts to show in). I also took the seat off it and made a flat seat so that it looked better for showing.

Boinky, how did you make boot cover for your cart? I dont know if it would be cheeper to make one or buy one.

FoalFan, nice cart! Your hubby did a good job on redoing it for you.

i used nylon fabric for mine..but now that we make show carts i use a vinyl fabric instead. you will just nead to measure once you make the basket and do the dimentions.

Well here is my show cart for next year! it is custom built by the Amish up here in Canada, just finished doing our Santa Parade using it and just dying to post pics! my friends going to download onto CD and then I can go through them! so hopfuly I get them tonite! Dang my guy looks great hooked to it!!!

ShowPics062.jpg

ShowPics058.jpg

If you are at all handy, a vinyl boot cover isn't all that hard to make.....However, if you are not a talented sewer, or your machine cannot handle the thickness of the material, any upholstery company can make one for you.

There are several types of snaps and toggle bolt type fasteners available that will enable you to easily put the cover on and off of the vehicle. You can also do this with Velcro straps that wrap around the frame. Upholstery companies have access to these fasteners, and your finished boot cover will fit your vehicle perfectly and will be well worth the effort of finding someone to do this for you.

Good luck!

Meg, it's looking good. Take plenty of pictures and you can use it as a 4-H project at the fair.

I think for when I make a boot cover I'll have either my mum or grandmum make it for me. Im not that good at sewing. The machine doesnt always like me.
default_wacko.png
:

CitySlicker thats an awsome looking cart. I really like the fact that its wood, and easy entry style.

Diana: I didnt even think of using it for a 4-H exhibit at the fair! Thanks for reminding me! ^__^

Back