New Shetland Owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People out here where I live stake their horses out on the side of the FREEWAY!!! I honestly believe that God takes care of stupid people...if I tried that my horse would be dead! I tried to use a cotton rope to tie my big horses to a fence once...it was the no-climb horse fence with the "V" and I just slipped the large end of the lead into the "V" I knew it would pull out if necessary. My gelding got it around is hind leg...got rope burn (Cotton rope?) and has a scar there now. I don't know how those guys get away with tractor implements in their grazing fields and staking the horses out without any harm...but I can't do it!
default_giveup.gif

My new mare is very spooky, and had some trust issues. My dentist does not sedate , and does not tie a horse either, for some strang reason they all just stand there..ok he danced a bit with the new mare . She was also very afraid of the clipper. I will clip a small section of her in the morning while she is eating breakfast with a lot of phrase, and loving words. I don't tie her , I just let her stand there . I do enough until she is quiet , once she is still and accepting it , I turn off the clipper and she is done for the day. It's working , you might want to try. This method .

My new mare is very spooky, and had some trust issues. My dentist does not sedate , and does not tie a horse either, for some strang reason they all just stand there..ok he danced a bit with the new mare . She was also very afraid of the clipper. I will clip a small section of her in the morning while she is eating breakfast with a lot of phrase, and loving words. I don't tie her , I just let her stand there . I do enough until she is quiet , once she is still and accepting it , I turn off the clipper and she is done for the day. It's working , you might want to try. This method .
A good idea! That is one reason she is not wholly clipped, as I wanted to keep the session short. My electricity source is not convenient for my quiet clippers, and my cordless clippers are rather noisy, so I sort of have to plan and prepare for the clipping session.

It was imperative to get her teeth done so I was fine with the sedation. By the time she was ready to climb into the trailer, the sedation was almost worn off. Next year, she might be able to get the work done without sedation.
default_yes.gif

I'm pleased with the way Tipsey is coming along! She is taking the bit pretty well now, and also the harness. Still a little uncertain of the crupper, but she's getting better. I hope to begin ground driving very soon now. Not a good photo, but it's hard to do it by yourself.

The harness goes to my sulky. I like to use it for training, as it has a little breast strap that snaps to the saddle. No extra straps to bother with, and I can put the reins through the terrets or through the quick hitch rings down lower.

Hopefully this week will be warm enough for a bath. Her skin is looking so much better, just having the heavy coat off and letting the sun shine on her. She still has a little dandruff, but I'm hoping the bath will clear that all up.

http://www.cassphoto.com/tipseyharness.jpg

I took Tipsey to a friend's place this morning for a little outing. The friend is so good with animals, and always has insight and training tips. We did halter work at first. Tipsey walked on a narrow wooden bridge without a problem and impressed my friend with her soft turns. Then we ground drove. It was good to have someone ground drive her so I could see her move, and any equipment tweaks. She needs a narrower bit, I found. But she is carrying the bit pretty well so far and moving out very well.

My friend pronounced her "awesome!". So we are on the right track with our training.

Latest posts

Back