New riding horse problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I bought this horse about a month ago.He is a 10 year old gelding.Very wel broke and was on the shows.He has rested for about 2 years now.I was tod he was gelded as a 4 yr old.made 2 foals I believe.My problem is when I ride in the ring and he passes a horse or a horse passes him. He puts his ears back and sometimes lunges at the horse.he gets quite nasty.I have only riden with mares so far.Some in heat some not. treats them all the same.I need to try and figure what I can to do to over come this problem. I would like to show again after many years out of riding let alone showing.Besides that he is a dream to ride.Any ideas would help

I don't know if you're riding English or western, or what kind of bit you're using--I'd put him back into a snaffle & ride him on contact--put him on the bit and then when passing or being passed by another horse, be ready to direct his attention elsewhere just before he pins his ears or lunges at the other horse--bend him away from the other horse, even leg yield him away. Make him focus on doing something besides crabbing at the other horse. I would expect that after some work this way he would progress to where a simple half halt would get his attention on you & off the other horses, and then from there--even if he's a western horse that you'll be riding on a loose rein--you can progress to the point of just giving him a bump with your leg, and that will remind him that he is not to threaten a passing horse.

That's how I would handle it--that's how I have handled it in the past when I had a horse doing this sort of thing.

I don't know if you're riding English or western, or what kind of bit you're using--I'd put him back into a snaffle & ride him on contact--put him on the bit and then when passing or being passed by another horse, be ready to direct his attention elsewhere just before he pins his ears or lunges at the other horse--bend him away from the other horse, even leg yield him away. Make him focus on doing something besides crabbing at the other horse. I would expect that after some work this way he would progress to where a simple half halt would get his attention on you & off the other horses, and then from there--even if he's a western horse that you'll be riding on a loose rein--you can progress to the point of just giving him a bump with your leg, and that will remind him that he is not to threaten a passing horse.
That's how I would handle it--that's how I have handled it in the past when I had a horse doing this sort of thing.

default_yes.gif
I come from an English background. If your horse is "on the bit" and working he won't even be thinking of those mares. If he actually lunges at them, whether you're riding Western or English, correct him; leg yield, bending, "kick" him away... all that. Distract him and or make it an unpleasant experience when he does do that. He'll learn very quickly not to do it. And don't forget to reward him when he does pass and is a good boy and keeps his mind on the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonny did that too for a while when I first bought him; he was on the track as a young horse and that is probably where he got it. That's pretty common in a ring sour horse to do that. Right before we'd get ready to pass another horse, I'd give him a little rein check or extra leg and tell him "uh uh" so he knew he had better not. Since this boy is new to you and been doing a lot of nothing for the past two years, bring him back very slowly. I would take baby steps. A few minutes daily in the round pen tacked up, then mount him up in there and go again for just a few minutes. But as others have said, you have to correct him in the split second he does something. Try not to work him in the ring much at all. Work him in the open whenever possible, not tons of circles all the time and do a lot of straight lines. I tell you horses get sick and tired of going round and round, can't blame them! And you can practice doing straight lines with other horses on each side of you. When you do ride in the ring, do the unexpected and change it up a lot. There's much you can do to break his monotony. Ride the INSIDE for a while too, not kissing the rail all the time. Stop, dismount and mount, use your imagination. Another thing, when you are going to pass another horse, don't tense up for dear life and grab his face. Just remember to give him that friendly reminder, re-direct him while talking to him.

The most safe thing you can do, is take lessons with him. Find a Certified instructor and have he or she help you out. Right now your horse doesn't think your the leader so he can do what he wants. Not safe as you know.

I could tell you here, what you need to do but it doesn't work as well has having a really good instructor helping you both in person.

Just curious...do you turn him out with others for his turnout? If so, how does he react to them if the rider is taken out of the equasion?

Latest posts

Back