New PMC rule - does this bother anyone else, or is it just me?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
So going through the new rules, found the new PMC rule that defines eligibility based on the ADA definition. Does this bother anyone else as being too open? I understood the purpose of PMC was especially to give a fair chance to those who otherwise may not be able to compete in open division. I understand that some folks showing PMC are also showing open, and think that's perfectly ok, but I believe that the restrictions on PMC should limit the class eligibility based on the purpose of such classes. The ADA definition states:

Physical or mental impairment includes, but is not limited to, such contagious and non-contagious diseases and conditions as orthopedic, visual, speech and hearing impairments, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, mental retardation, emotional illness, specific learning disabilities, HIV disease (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic), tuberculosis, drug addiction, and alcoholism.Major life activities are functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working. Having a record of such an impairment means a person has a history of, or has been misclassified as having, a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. Being regarded as having an impairment means having a physical or mental impairment that does not substantially limit major life activities but being treated by a public entity as constituting such a limitation; having a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits major life activities only as a result of the attitudes of others toward such impairment; or having none of the impairments defined above but being treated by a public entity as having such an impairment

So whether or not you have any limitations, essentially, if you have a diagnosis you can show PMC. By the way, this includes emotional and mental illness (think depression and ADHD).

Now I understand trying to be inclusive, but it seems to me that under this criteria, especially when there does not have to be a limitation because of the impairment, nearly everyone I know could show PMC.

Am I totally reading this wrong? I know I have debated in the past whether to show PMC, but didn't feel I was "limited" by my disease to the point that I felt it was appropriate.

I wonder if this definition had to be adopted out of concerns about litigation? I've seen a very able bodied person compete against the truly disabled in PMC classes and it wasn't a good feeling
default_sad.png

Oh, boy, since I had breast cancer last year I can do PMC?
default_thumbdown.gif

Um....no. I do NOT think that's fair at all. I feel that class is for people who may not be able to show in a open class comfortably. Whether physically or mentally challenged it is THEIR class.

I also do not think this is fair. I have a sever hearing loss so I could go into those classes too. Hopefully those of us who are able to show in regular classes wil not elect to show in these classes and let it for the ones who really need it. I love to watch these people show and have a lot of respect for them for getting out there and doing what they can.

I, too, think this is pretty broad, but how does the show manager police this? There needs to be something--like the amateur card--that PMC exhibitors need to get and have a signature for. As a show manager, it was asked of me to question someone and that is really hard to do because of so many privacy laws. I know that it would be added work for the office, but I feel they should need a special card to show those classes just like the youth and amateurs. I also think there would be less abuse that way.

On the other hand, I know someone that showed that class some years back. He looked normal to most and some even commented on the fact that he was in the class. His disability was that he had an implant in his brain that helped control seizures and high stress would even override that implant. He did PMC classes because of his fear of having a seizure during a class because of stress. He is on total disability so who is to say he didn't belong in that class--or that he did for that matter.

Yeah that is pretty vague. Does that mean since I have asthma can I enter in PMC now? That I have dislocated my knee 2 years ago and still not the same can I go in it? Since then I've been scared to go into jumper, can still go into hunter but feel limited sometimes.

Not that I feel I should be able to go into it, I don't understand why they changed the old rule, or has it always been this way and they just changed the wording of it?

I am not sure, maybe Michelle or Greg will chime in on why this has been changed. But - I would think most people think pretty clearly and won't abuse this.

So Obesity is a medical condition and can be debilitating. So now obese people would qualify for this class?

Wow. I think that the sanctioning body (AMHA, AMHR) should indeed issue cards similar to amateur cards. They could charge a $5.00 fee just like amateur cards.(After all these folk still have to be a member of the organization to show.) Since folks in the class obviously aren't professional trainers, perhaps the PMC card could in this instance replace the amateur card.

In order to receive a card, it would be just like getting a handicapped parking placard, you have to have a doctor certify that you are indeed disabled and eligible for entry into this class. I have a differently abled son and I have jumped through the hoops of getting certifications for one thing or another. Well worth it if you indeed are qualified for the benefits it provides and I think those who are honestly entitled to these classes would be willing to obtain that certification.

It's been awhile since I looked at my outdated rulebook, and I don't have a current one, but if I remember correctly you had to have a doctor sign a form to present. I also think cards would be a good idea.

Looking at the local parking lots (both Sam and I are chair users) and the abundance of placards..doctors seem all too willing to do as patients ask. Always amazes me to see a carload of teenagers spring from a car, or the number of folks in HC spots who go in the mall to walk the mile, several times. Can't walk three spaces..my personal pet peeve.

The rules do seem to take advantage of the spirit of the ADA. What possible accommodation does someone with alcoholism or depression need? Seriously..?? And TB? I don't think I have ever heard that before.."infectious"..could be a cold or flu..

Thanks for posting the link!! I thought PMC was AMHA so that was where I looked. For anyone else, here is the new rule: This makes a lot more sense to me now: I was quite interested because of our 4-H Club so this is very helpful.

Section III - Part 5 - General Rules - PMC Classes

Deleted 2008 eligibility - added:

5.1 Eligibility

A. For horse show purposes, persons competing in this division must have a disability in compliance with the

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

B. A disability is defined by the ADA as: “A physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or

more major life activities; or a record of such impairment; or being regarded as having such an impairment.”

D. Reasonable accommodations shall be granted on a case by case basis. A reasonable accommodation is any

modification or adjustment that makes it possible for an individual with a disability to enjoy equal opportunities.

E. Direct any questions regarding eligibility to the Show Management.

I can see where this could go to the extremes. Hey, I'm old, overweight, and have a bad memory. Can I get an obstacle course or jumper course that's short? LOL And don't say that's Golden Age. Not with the "golden age" starting at 55 --HA, that was so long ago for me I've forgotten it.

I understand that the board really didn't have any option but to change them because the previous rules were an ADA and Privacy Act lawsuit waiting to happen. By listing disabilities that we accepted for PMC we were violating the ADA. By having show managers ask questions of potential PMC exhibitors we were violating the Privacy Act. (Most show managers weren't asking because they realized that if they did they could end up being sued!) The only legal way to go was to use the ADA's definition. It is very likely that a PMC card would also be an ADA violation and I'm pretty sure it would be a Privacy Act violation. You really have to realize what a slippery legal slope there is when dealing with anything ADA and Privacy related!

Keep in mind that many disabilities are not outwardly visible. I'm very limited in my vision, but you certainly would not know it until I tell you or when I fall over something...:)

I can do halter just fine, but I would NEVER enter a large driving class due to my lack of peripheral vision -- I would never put others at risk. (CDE is a different story, since no one is near me when I'm driving.) So I can hear the criticism now...she sure doesn't look disabled, and she was in the open halter class where she didn't have any problems.

Would I enter PMC driving? Nope. I do not consider myself disabled, although I have vision challenges. I would never go for an award that was not deserved.

I can only guess that most are like me and would MUCH prefer to compete at the highest level possible and not limit themselves to PMC classes.Anyone who would enter PMC classes when not really disabled just to get an unmerited ribbon or trophy would have to be truly desperate for attention.

My suggestion:

Encourage and enable everyone to enter the "abled" classes if at all possible. Don't give anyone special treatment, but remove obstacles wherever possible.

Many in wheelchairs can handle a horse in a halter class, but may worry that the judges will not pay serious attention. Let it be known that they are encouraged to enter and that their horse will not be penalized.

The hearing-impaired may have difficulty hearing instructions or announcements, but if the ring steward is aware, they can keep an eye on them (and I'm not suggesting the already over-burdened stewards go to extra efforts...just look out for those who appear disoriented -- as I'm sure they need to with many able-bodied individuals!)

A well-lit arena makes an enormous difference for the vision-impaired like myself. Some arenas are the equivalent of deep twilight for me.

Splitting driving classes when possible would make many like myself feel comfortable driving. In normal "traffic" my vision doesn't really enter into the picture, but my lack of peripheral vision would make a crowded class a nightmare.

What we need is a little creative thinking and a lot of questions to make certain those with marginal disabilities or limitations feel comfortable entering the regular classes. True, it may not stop those so desperate for ribbons that they would cheat to get one, but that is hardly limited to PMC classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This issue hits kinda close to home for me as I had a friend with a daughter that for sure qualified for PMC and I encouraged her to enter those classes. Unfortunately because her issues are not immediately apparent just by looking at her - many questioned why she was in the classes. To me that is just not right. I would never question anyone that enters a PMC class. That is not for me to decide. And yes we also encouraged her to enter open and youth classes. Because I would never want to limit anyone because of their issues.

It just always shocked me how many people questioned her participation and knew nothing about her. You cannot just look at someone from a distance and make that judgement call (that they are or are not PMC)

Remember PMC classes are not available at all shows! There were only 2 shows that year that she could even enter them.

I understand all about disabilities that cannot be seen, I have one. I would not question those in a PMC class, and I understand the reasoning to avoid litigation or potential lawsuits, I agree wholeheartedly with Susanne's comments encouraging people to enter the open classes, and in that way help ensure the PMC classes actually meet the intended objective.

I am not sure, maybe Michelle or Greg will chime in on why this has been changed. But - I would think most people think pretty clearly and won't abuse this.
I would like to say that this is true, but unfortunately it is not! We have several PMC exhibitors in our barn who work EXTREMELY hard - one of them was beaten by an exhibitor who told her "I have an eating disorder, so I can show PMC". I will give credit to my exhibitors who struggle to walk, hold the lead and get in the ring - they will ALWAYS be winners in our barn.

I do want to add that the ADA definition is very complex, yet is good at defining what a disability is. I think that the rules BEFORE the change were very vague and needed to be ammended. However, I would encourage people to evaluate themselves and if THEY think it's appropriate to be in the class because they have a DISABILITY or whether they saw a low number of entries and figured they could place.

Back