New paint colt!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialk

Reaction score
I'm so excited I finally am getting a paint. He arrives tomorrow. He turns 1 in June. Registered and from some good bloodlines. Trying to decide if I am going to geld him. If I am, I want it done right away. If not, I would bred him to my mare. Needs opinions...good match for the mare. She has excellent confirmation and beautiful movement. What color of offspring should I expect? I would love a silver paint. Pics of mare in next reply.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My mare. Both are registered. The mare has been shown quite a bit by previous owner in dressage and cde.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just to give you a heads up, the mini is considered a pinto. Paint is a registry and pertains to full size horses.

The two minis are cute. If you google color calculator, it gives you color options for both sire and dam. It than calculates the possible color of offsprings.

I can't tell anything about the pintos conformation from the photos sorry. I can't really tell anything about the mares either so i can't say either way

I love his markings. If you plan to breed them, you might want to look into lethal white overo foals and consider having both tested. I'm not much of a pinto person, but I'd suspect both could carry overo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mares lovely
default_smile.png

Yes, I think she may be a silver black dapple. Mine that also carry the cream gene are much, much lighter - more evenly tan and mane/tails different, too. But the only way to really know/tell would be to color test. Following the Silver Equine FB page, there is A LOT of variance in shades when the silver and cream gene are on the same horses.

As to colors - the sky is the limit! It really depends on what they carry for their black base (EE for homozygous black or Ee for heterozygous black). The only color you wouldn't get is bay or buckskin since neither is bay. I don't know much about the pinto markings he's got, since it looks like he's got something other than just Tobiano going on.

Depending on what he's got, you could end up with a lot of possibilities. Don't think you can guarantee a paint or a silver paint or even a solid silver...
default_smile.png
What are the colors of his sire and dam and her sire and dam? That's a good starting place, if they are accurate... Not perfect though.

I like the mare and he's very cute - nice looking head. I really can't tell much other than that from the pics of him. From the look of his head/eye, I'm feeling that if you work with him and he remains a stallion that he will retain his nice personality.

I'm waiting to see if I get chestnut, bay or silver bay on two foals that are coming... Both mares are heterozgyous black as is the stallion. But he's homozygous for bay, so if the foals are black based they will show the bay coloring (if they are chestnut, they will carry/pass on a bay gene). They have a 50/50 chance of being silver. Both foals will be tobiano - because they will both get that from him (100% - homozygous for tobiano), but the one could get a tobiano gene from it's dam as well. A 3rd foal is coming from a different pairing. I don't know if the stallion is hetero or homo for black or tobiano, but the mare is cremello. Not only is the stud bay (1 gene from his dam), but the mare carries a bay gene as well - so could get a palomino or a buckskin. Don't know on spots... The stud is going to be gelded now that he's back at our place. Don't have plans to have him color tested, but did have her color tested.

Latest posts

Back