New mum...what colour foal>>>>

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodie

Reaction score
My one and only little mini horse has been positively tested in foal...she is due Christmas/New Year
default_laugh.png

HopeviewCharismaticCharmame.jpg

this is Charm ( the mum)

IMG_2143.jpg

Arabella Dancing Flame (the dad)

Can any Appaloosa breeders (or colour boffins) give me an idea of my chance of spots (don't really mind as long as foal is healthy, but would be nice)

Charm is 8 generations of spotted on her mothers side,(her dam is chestnut varnish) her sire is black with mottling on nose and eyes only (no spots on coat), but on his sire's dams side is spotted for 4 generations. I know there is a colour calculator for most colours...but not spots...lol
default_wacko.png

dancer.jpg

Minielf Paper Dancer (Flame's sire)

Flame's sire is rose grey (grey with lots of chestnut hairs) and dam is black with a spots on her dams side.

My little girl has gone out with my friends broodmares for a few months and she has kindly loaned me her ex show stallion, who has been gelded....so we will not be ponyless for the shows
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish there was a way to determine chances of spots but it's impossible.. Appaloosas have SOOOOOO many different variations and trying to guess the pattern is a crapshoot..

Well, I just wanted to share that even though I wanted an appaloosa foal, I thought the chances were pretty slim with my bay mare who has no app background (as far as I know) bred to my chestnut appaloosa stallion. But I was still hoping for a spot or two. This is the resulting foal born last Saturday:

AppaloosaColt8e.jpg

AppaloosaColt9e.jpg

AppaloosaColt2e.jpg

So there is hope!
default_saludando.gif

Good Luck!!

Spots or no spots?? That's what I like about breeding appaloosas. You just NEVER can quite predict what you will get.
Last year, I bred a full bay leopard mare to a full bay leopard stallion, and got a SOLID bay colt.

Then had a solid silver bay mare with no appaloosa traits (like mottling, striped hooves, etc, and no appaloosa in her pedigree), that produced a full leopard colt.

~~Diane

Beautiful foal, BTW
There's a difference between appaloosa (Lp) and the genes that control pattern expression (PATN) I think PATN 1 is leopard complex (fewspot, snowflake, leopard) and PATN 2 is blanket (snowcap, blanket) Varnish is (I think) Lp/ but no PATN.

So it's possible for a horse to not be spotty (no Lp/) but to have some PATN. There's just nothing for PATN to act on so it's like silver on a chestnut...just hanging out with nothing to do. But they can pass on the PATN to their foals, and if their foals also inherit Lp/ from the other parent, spotty body!

Unless you're saying the mare produced a full leopard with another not-spotty? The Appaloosa project peeps would love to see that!

Last edited by a moderator:
You just never do know and that's part of the fun!

I've had these two born so far this year, all from spotted parents. Not sure if the filly will spot out, but I can only hope!

The first one, Crystalbank Touch of Diamond is out of an Extensive bay based snowflake and by a fewspot stallion.

Ponies080509075.jpg

The second one is out of a near leapord spot mare and a spotted stallion. I have no idea on the stallion as I took this poor mare in after going through a huge market called Appleby horse fair in the UK. She came with a leopard colt at foot and in foal again. The filly below is this years foal. If anyone has any idea what colour she may be then do let me know.

Lottie10thMay09013.jpg

Appys are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. Just when you think you have it figured out, they will surprise you with something else. My friend that breeds full sized appy horses does swear that out of his leopard stallion his solid mares produce leopard offspring more often than his appy mares. He has been breeding more than 30 years. Not fool proof of course, they are appys after all.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back