New Mini owner :-) Having fun but have questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QHPkaren

Reaction score
New guy is said to be 2 years old and i think he is cute as cute can be but i am not 100% sure how to handle the 'little' guys. We have always had full size horses and this little begger is small and quick. Would love some ideas about general handling such as leading - it is a bit different to lead him than my full size. I want to get the right start with him so i am looking for any help i can get. Suggestions of up to date books or videos are welcomed too.

We have been going for 'walks' around the property but its a little like I'm walking and he is wandering :) hard to explain. He will walk nicely along beside and then get bored and circle around me or try to walk off in the other direction. We don't do many straight lines ! With my full size he responds to my body and hand movements - easier to view at his height. I'm just not sure about the little guy. I have tried using the same hand/body techniques sometimes it works and sometimes not. So i guess a question would be - am i on the right track ? just need to keep going? doing as i would with my full size horses.

Also i am working with just a regular halter and lead - is that ok ? or do you train with a lead chain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Karen

He is still a horse, so yes, treat him as you would any other horse you've worked with. Sometimes due to their small size, we do have to make minor adjustments in our cues to keep them on track. I work with just a regular halter and lead, even with my stallions (I only make one minor adjustment with the stallions, I use a different halter for breeding than I do for "regular" work, it seems to help a little bit). [i do own mostly B-size minis, so that does help a little bit, as they are little taller. My newest stallion is learning to read me and he's getting it, but it took him awhile (he's 35" tall). He's starting to get; walk when I walk, stop when I stop, back up when I back up, etc. He's smart as a whip, just not excessively handled before I got him.]

How long have you had him? If its not been very long, perhaps he just needs a little more time to settle in.

Not knowing the history on your mini it could be that he just hasn't been handled that much. If he came from a larger farm they often don't get a lot of one on one time. Sounds like he's still pretty "green" with leading on a halter. I think you're on the right track he might just need more time. He's young and mini's are smart...they get bored easily! Try going over some obstacles on your walks and keep it fresh for him. Above all...he is a horse! Expect the same respect of space from him that you do with the big horses. Have fun!

Karen, where in Michigan are you? We're in southwest lower Michigan, near Battle Creek. We have a 4-H club just for miniature horses that - if you're close by - you might want to look into. Let me know!

I agree with others that it just takes time. Remember, even though they're little, they're still horses! Most of the same training methods that you've used with your big horses will work with your little ones. Just never forget that they are horses and need to be treated as such. Behavior needs to be rewarded or redirected (and sometime reprimanded!) as you would with a big horse - just dial down the strength or pressure you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have been going for 'walks' around the property but its a little like I'm walking and he is wandering :) hard to explain. He will walk nicely along beside and then get bored and circle around me or try to walk off in the other direction. We don't do many straight lines !

I would say hold the lead with your right hand and don't give him so much slack to wander off from your side. Hold the rest of the lead with your left hand and if he tries to walk out in front just swing the lead rope around in front of him with your left hand like an airplane propeller (or lasso), so he will stay back behind the spinning lead rope. He will quickly learn to stay by your side and not step out in front and try to circle you.

He is still a horse, so yes, treat him as you would any other horse you've worked with. Sometimes due to their small size, we do have to make minor adjustments in our cues to keep them on track. I work with just a regular halter and lead, even with my stallions (I only make one minor adjustment with the stallions, I use a different halter for breeding than I do for "regular" work, it seems to help a little bit). [i do own mostly B-size minis, so that does help a little bit, as they are little taller. My newest stallion is learning to read me and he's getting it, but it took him awhile (he's 35" tall). He's starting to get; walk when I walk, stop when I stop, back up when I back up, etc. He's smart as a whip, just not excessively handled before I got him.]

How long have you had him? If its not been very long, perhaps he just needs a little more time to settle in.
I think that is probably most of our problem - he was at a boarding facility - some younger kids - i'm sure some didn't really enforce the 'rules' ! I will just keep spending the time with him and doing what i am used to doing with my full sized, just a little 'lower' .

Karen, where in Michigan are you? We're in southwest lower Michigan, near Battle Creek. We have a 4-H club just for miniature horses that - if you're close by - you might want to look into. Let me know!

I agree with others that it just takes time. Remember, even though they're little, they're still horses! Most of the same training methods that you've used with your big horses will work with your little ones. Just never forget that they are horses and need to be treated as such. Behavior needs to be rewarded or redirected (and sometime reprimanded!) as you would with a big horse - just dial down the strength or pressure you use.
That sounds great - but i'm a lil old for 4h :) I actually live closer to Jackson. But it might be educational for me !!! Do you have what i would call ' ring meets' or 'practice " ?

I'm not sure i'm using the Reply correctly on here either :)

Welcome to the forum Karen!
default_saludando.gif

That sounds great - but i'm a lil old for 4h :) I actually live closer to Jackson. But it might be educational for me !!! Do you have what i would call ' ring meets' or 'practice " ?

I'm not sure i'm using the Reply correctly on here either :)
Hah! I'm too old for 4-H, too! But yes, our club does have hands on 'work outs' starting in the spring (usually in April) every other week, then every week just before the Calhoun County Fair in August. PM me and we can talk!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also in SW Michigan, organized a clinic this year and hope to work with a trainer or judge to do another next spring. Several of us planning to show at some local shows as a group next year.

I am also in SW Michigan, organized a clinic this year and hope to work with a trainer or judge to do another next spring. Several of us planning to show at some local shows as a group next year.

That sounds very interesting !!

Hah! I'm too old for 4-H, too! But yes, our club does have hands on 'work outs' starting in the spring (usually in April) every other week, then every week just before the Calhoun County Fair in August. PM me and we can talk!

ok - i think i did the Message right - still learning this Forum.

Back