New horses arrive on Sunday!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
So my 2 new minis, Red and Rascal, will arrive on Sunday!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
Stalls are done, just need mats and bedding! I am so excited, we've been waiting for 2 months for Rascal to get weaned and for a break in Pam and Scott (Coventry Lane) show schedule so they can deliver them and now the day is just about here!

I just want to get everyone's opinions on our introduction plan for these 2 and Goldi:

The way the barn is set up, Goldi always has access to her stall when she is turned out. Red's (the new mare) stall is directly behind Goldi's and they can touch nose to nose, but Red can also go to the other end of her stall to be away from Goldi if she wants. Rascal's (the weanling colt) stall is behind Red and they can touch nose to nose, but Rascal won't be able to contact Goldi at all.

I was thinking that we would let Goldi out during the day, with access to her stall and have Red and Rascal stalled during the day. Then when we get home from work, we can switch and stall Goldi and let Red and Rascal out to run until bedtime. Then at night they will all be stalled.

Eventually (after a week or so, maybe?), I am hoping to be able to introduce Red and Goldi when they are turned out and let then figure out their relationship and then add Rascal to the mix. Since Rascal and Red are familiar with each other, I was thinking that Red would probably protect him a bit. Both the new horses are significantly smaller than Goldi, which is why I plan on being extra careful with introductions.

Does that sound like it will be the best plan to start with? Any other advice from personal experiences?

Also, what types of behaviors are normal in introductions, what should I just allow to happen and what should I step in and stop? I know with our potbellied pigs, we kept them seperated by fence, but even after several weeks, when we turned them loose together they still had to have a few battles to work out their heirarchy. We would only seperate if it got too bad. With horses that doesn't seem to be the case, right? I feel like any argument should be grounds for seperation for a little while.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Jen

Congratulations on your new minis. Is Rascal a gelding or will he be? If just a pet(not quality, but as in not being used for breeding), and he will be gelded, then it would be best if he had ther company of the mares, as a weanling, he especially would enjoy the company of others. I take it Red and Rascal are not mother and son?? With so few horses, and if they are in a reasbaly sized area, I would go ahead and put them all together to work it out right off the bat. It doesn;t matter when or how you do it, they will have to work it out, and since there is only one other horse to worry about, that would be best. Or at least that is what would work for me. Good Luck! HAVE FUN with those new "kids"!

Yes, Rascal will be gelded once the weather cools down a bit.

Red and Rascal are not mother and son, but have been turned out together, so they will be okay...shouldn't have any issues.

Do you think keeping Goldi on a lead the first time we turn them out is a good idea or just let them free together?

I just typed out a long answer and my computer lost it
default_gaah.gif

Here's the jist of it. IMO it would be better to introduce the 2 mares first so the weanling didn't get caught by any kicks thrown by the mature horses at each other. Also I always isolate newcomers for at least 2 weeks (prefer3) in case they are incubating anything (even horses fromthe BEST farms can get sick and I don't want my whole herd to get it) I also worm withing 24 hours of their arrival as a precaution. Once they are cleared health wise I will house them in an adjoining pen for a few days to a week and then intro them to the herd. Of course I have plenty of space and extra pens to do this and I am aware not every one does.

Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly, it is always so exciting to be getting new horses.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back