New Horse and New (horse) Shoes!! (finally)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
So I figured it was time to introduce my new mare...got in December, but just haven't found the time to post pics and stuff. Plus, today I got some new shoes to try on Fascination...we'll see how they work.

Introducing....Tanglewoods PeekaBoo Streak! Bay pinto, 9 yr old mare, green broke to drive when young, so I will basically be restarting her in summer when I get back home. Moves a lot like Fascination, and is fairly hot. I could do without the wild markings (I hate keeping white clean, LOL)...but hey, I can deal when the movement is there! She's a sociable creature and sensitive. Right now she is living with Dan at home, so she has a few months before she has to start work--I hope to have her going well enough to do a couple of shows this summer/fall. She has two blue eyes, half a white face, half a white ear(literally splits down the middle on the back part), and half a white mane and tail. LOL Can't wait to see whats under that hair in summer...

Pardon for the poor pictures, but I didn't get to spend much time with her.

eae7aea2.jpg

eae7ae95.jpg

eae7ae90.jpg

She has a fair bit of knee action (bit more than Fascination) but can still cover the ground.

eae7ae9c.jpg

And for the second part of the post....Fascination's new shoes! These are EponaShoes; I don't know how well they will work, but I figured I would try. We are currently working in a rather gravelly area(other than the dressage court), so she needs more protection than even the glue itself can give her. So today I trimmed her hooves, glued the shoes on, let her play in the roundpen, and ground drove her (working on dressage).

Thought this was cute...the shoes look absurdly small except when placed on the feet.

eae7ae8d.jpg

I think I will be getting the next size up next time, as she has wider heels than the shoe is made for(the measurements of length and width match her foot, but she has wide heels that call for a bigger shoe).

eae7ae8a.jpg

Let her run loose in the roundpen to see her move.

eae7ae88.jpg

La de da trotting along.

eae7ae84.jpg

Canter...I was pleased when I clipped her out last week to see that she still has some muscling...means we don't have too much conditioning to do for Ram Tap.

eae7ae80.jpg

Trotting again. :lol:

eae7ae83.jpg

I will drive her on a good drive tomorrow and see how they hold up. Look good so far...
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that mare!! She is so cute and I love the color. Can't wait to see her with the cart. I hate alot of white too, it is such a pain to keep them clean:)

Pretty new mare, but I have to say that Fascination is all that and 10 bags of chips. What a gorgeous mare she is!!! You could send her on up here any old time. LOL

Can't wait to see the tandem pair!

I didn't know that Epona puts out a mini shoe, that is very interesting. Have you ever experimented with hoof boots?

Pretty new mare, but I have to say that Fascination is all that and 10 bags of chips. What a gorgeous mare she is!!! You could send her on up here any old time. LOL

Can't wait to see the tandem pair!

I didn't know that Epona puts out a mini shoe, that is very interesting. Have you ever experimented with hoof boots?

I've used the easy care epics nd the old mac boots on my big horses and they work great!! I'm thinking about buying the boots for my mini !!

Wow,,you are not kidding....your new mare has massive amounts of chrome!

That is an interesting shoe. Does the company you bought it from have a web site. One of the down sides last sumer is Maggie was starting to need shoes there for awhile. Let us know how they work out for the long term.

Of course now you are going to have to give us updates on all the types of shoes you've tried, explain why you aren't using boots, tell us about the cost and the manufacturers and how long they last and how they are put on and this and that and the other thing! LOL. Kody could use shoes for gravel and such but I don't want to nail anything on as I still do breed shows and need to remain un-hole-y. :new_all_coholic: Plus in all seriousness I think my farrier would disown me if I suggested shoeing the little guy. He considers it enough of a pain just to trim him.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I do like the new mare, she's awfully pretty and you can see how sensitive and open she is to bonding with you. I think I'll stick with my geldings though! It will be a real kick to see you pit Peekabo (is that her barn name?) and Fascination against our northwest team KC and Willy someday. Uw, the CDE drama. :lol: :bgrin

Leia

MiniHGal said:
I think I will be getting the next size up next time, as she has wider heels than the shoe is made for(the measurements of length and width match her foot, but she has wide heels that call for a bigger shoe).
eae7ae8a.jpg
Had to add- am I the only one who thinks this picture bears a remarkable resemblence to a Clydesdale hoof? :new_rofl:

Really nice- where are the PIPPIN pictures????????

I suggest a LARGE bottle of black hair dye and a quiet weekend being artistic- who will ever care????

Oh my...I am awestruck by BOTH mares! I am in love........*gasp*

I'd like to know more about that shoe too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new mare!! :aktion033: If you have even half as much with her as you do with Fascination, you are going to have a ball I'm sure.
default_yes.gif
:

Beatiful pics of gorgeous horses!
default_wub.png
:

:aktion033: I love both mares. The first mare has a cute markings on her face.
default_wub.png
: We love pintos.

enjoy them both.

Good luck with your girls.

melissa

Wow!! What a lovely mare pair!
default_wub.png
: They both look like they would love a long term holiday in New Zealand. :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

Thanks guys....I really love Fascination and I think Peekaboo will also find her way into my heart too. Both are horses I could spend all day watching them move and never get tired of it. :lol:

Yep, I borrowed a friend's pair for a while...they didn't really do the job for me though. Too clunky, would occasionally lose them, and took time to put on and take off. Plus she would wear through those too and that gets expensive. Her movement was also altered a bit.

Of course now you are going to have to give us updates on all the types of shoes you've tried, explain why you aren't using boots, tell us about the cost and the manufacturers and how long they last and how they are put on and this and that and the other thing!
Well we haven't used that much...but I don't want to try custom metal shoes b/c of holes, cost, and having to have a farrier out(there is NO way I am going to shoe, esp not a mini). We have used the Vettec SuperFast glue for quite a while now, and it is pretty nice. A little pricey but oh well. We just literally make a shoe out of the glue on her foot. Cons: glue wears moderately fast, doesn't stay as well in winter, and uses a lot of glue for one shoe. Pros: hold up way way better than her hooves, very customizeable(change angle etc), stick pretty well when dry weather, and we can do it ourselves.

The EponaShoes(do a google search and they come right up), seem like they probably will last about the same amount of time (but can be reset if not too worn), aren't bad for the price (under 20 for a pair...just the shoes, no glue or anything). I don't know how well they will hold up...I haven't gotten a chance to do a serious drive yet. They don't change her movement and she seems comfortable in them. Since I already had the glue I figured why not.

So we will see! I am very hopeful. I am just very glad I can do her feet myself, or this would be impossible(what farrier wants to dink around with new ideas, on a mini, and come out multiple times to reglue stuff??). It also means I get to be directly responsible for any problems she has with her feet. *sigh* No firing the farrier and getting a better one, LOL
default_wink.png
:

Ah Jane, Pippin is a little fuzzy ball right now....besides I'm not a home so I can't just wander out and get pictures. But come summer, don't worry! I like the dye idea...hhmmm I don't think there is any ADS rules against use of dye. hehe
default_wacko.png
:

And Leia, I love Fas's feathers too--so cute! She's only a few sizes too small to be a clyde! :bgrin

I'll be excited to see how they look as a tandem, and I will of course try them as a pair--first time I've had two horses about the same size! BTW, Peekaboo and Fascination have similar bloodlines, which is not surprising.
default_yes.gif
:

OH MY! Congrats on your new girl -both are just gorgeous! I loooooove your Fascination - you should make a video - their movement even in still shots is fantastic!!
default_wub.png
:

When you do reset, do you just pop them off and clean them up or trim them off? I always wanted to do the vettec glue shoes but just got Blue under harness and haven't had the opportunity to really work him much yet. Gorgeous new mini by the way, simply stunning!

Last edited:
Beautiful mare! What a great looking pair too!

Have to agree, does look like a clyd foot! :lol:

I had better write the name of those shoes down... with the ways things are right now.. I will just forget.

Do want to try them out on Maggie this summer.

Latest posts

Back