New here :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapeze

Reaction score
Hi there!

I acquired two miniature mares back in August from a starving/malnourished situation. Loved them dearly and now a close friend has one of the mares. I kept the other as she tugs at my heart strings, she's a 2010 mare, unbelievably sweet and friendly and is leggy enough that I'm hoping she'll be a nice little leadline or w/t pony for my niece when she's old enough! She is 37.75"

She does have temporary papers that I'm working to get transferred over to permanent before the end of the month, it's been a bit of a pain to retrieve those papers and signature to go with it. To add to it all, she is pregnant and due this summer, so I'm definitely getting thrown head first into the mini world!

I own a 16 hand jumper gelding so all of this is new to me! So I hope you all can forgive me for the million questions I'll likely have.

Is it possible to have her registered with the ASPC too?

What methods do you use for working a mini in-hand? She has basic handling and we are working on disengaging the hind end and front when cued. But she's a bold little begger and I have yet to see her spook at anything. She'll walk on trail bridges, tarps, kiddie pools, etc. without batting an eye.

I'm hoping to do some showing with her, see where she goes with that! She was apparently bred for driving too so hopefully I will be able to send her out for training too (likely after the baby)

I don't know much about the ASPC registration process, but I have shown in many halter obstacle classes. So you need to teach her about stepping over rails on the ground, turns on the forehand and pivots on the back end. Also, you are presenting your horse which means smooth transitions between obstacles either walking or trotting. If you have not done it, go to You Tube and type in "miniature horse halter obstacle" and learn about the different obstacles you may face. It sounds like you have a great horse to do these classes with! This class is the one I like the best and I have 2 little guys who do really well and, like your mare, are unfazed by anything.

Congratulations to you for saving this beautiful mare from her fate. I really admire you.

Congrtas on your new mare! They are SOOO much fun!

For your questions:

No, you can't register her ASPC if she doesn't have Shetland papers. It's a closed registry.

For groundwork, treat her just like a big horse. Same thing that works with them, works with Minis!

Thanks! I'll definitely be looking at youtube videos to try and get some ideas.

When I work my big gelding in-hand I often use a dressage whip as an extension of my hand to help encourage movement and motion - do any of you use any items like that or more off your body?

She is a very sweet mare and our biggest thing to work on is just standing still. Coming from the situation with her buddy, she's dealing with a lot of herdbound issues but she's overcoming them quite well! I took her to one fall fair and she was very well behaved, just a little wiggly in line ups or waiting
default_smile.png

I have a little transformation picture from the middle of August to the middle of October. We're still working on setting her up! When she first came you could count her ribs, her neck was scrawny/upside down and her hips were sticking out.

1467309_10152060542984711_2072145843_n.jpg

And I just recently got christmas pictures of her and she's quite the chunky monkey!

1525726_10152094192129711_754860423_n.jpg

She's a chestnut sabino, but has mottling on her nose and around her eyes. The stallion she had been bred to is a smokey buckskin homozygous tobiano so hopefully there'll be an interesting colour next summer!

Reactions: Tab
I love the snow photo of her! She looks adorable! WELCOME to the forum!!!
default_yes.gif

She is so pretty. I love the snow photo. I am so glad you rescue her.

Post photos of her foal congrats

WOW!! She has certainly changed somewhat in the time you have had her - well done you, she's a lucky girl!
default_yes.gif

As she is in foal I would advise against any type of 'work' with her from now on, especially as she is still young and had such a bad start. By all means work on her general manners and continue with her introduction to different obstacles - no jumping of course! As she gets nearer to foaling do please come and join us here on the Mare and Foal forum - we love 'watching' these pregnant girls and welcoming the new babies into the world. Do you have an approx foaling date for her?

Oooooop's sorry, forgot to say welcome!!

Welcome and good luck with her!!!!

Thanks guys! Hopefully you guys don't get too annoyed with all my questions - I'll have a lot! I'm so new to this all, I'm just trying to figure out what is wanted in the ring, mannerisms and stances for minis. Minis are so addicting!

Thanks AnnaC for the tip, right now with it being winter she's just relaxing and stuffing her face. Hopefully after she's weaned her baby I'll send her out to get some driving training, she's apparently bred for it and has a lovely trot (when she wants to lol). I absolutely adore her and honestly I'm okay with doing some fun shows and eventually have her being a leadline pony for my little niece.

I've looked into AMHA - that is the larger shows is it not? Is it worth it to just wait to see if she's even really show quality before registering her with them? If she's quality I'd LOVE to do lots of shows with her but I really need to see what she sheds out looking as now she's put weight on. I'm okay if she's not
default_smile.png

She's due sometime in July, not sure when so I'll be watching her like a hawk for the entire month!

I have another question - what is the most successful way to teach a mini to stand still and to stand in "show stance"? (Not sure if it has a specific name)

Awww...love the snow picture! Welcome to the board!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums
default_smile.png
You have a very pretty little girl. Can I offer you some unsolicited advice? If there is a mini club anywhere near you it might be worth your while to join. You might find people there who can mentor you while you learn what is different about minis than their full sized counterparts. It is always easier to answer questions like "is she show quality?" when you can see the horse in person and it is a good way to locate trainers in your area, but most of all you will find people who share the fun of owning a miniature.

Welcome to the forum. I came back after a 6 year sabatical. I had questions and was amazed at how much help i received. The people here are wonderful and very forthcoming. Enjoy. You have a very pretty mare.

Thanks so much guys
default_smile.png

I've played a lot on youtube today and did lots of searching/lurking through old topics here to get some ideas/answers. So much to learn!

To add to my questions:

On Trapeze's papers it has her listed as a sorrel roan. Her dam as grey, her sire as white. Now I know for a fact her dam is actually maximum sorrel sabino, and her sire is maximum black splash.

Where does the mottled skin come from? The picture I have of each (dam and sire) is too small/distant to see if they have mottling too. But if you look closely in the before picture I posted, she has freckles all over her face, around her eyes/nose but as well as on her neck and shoulders on her skin (doesn't show on coat). Is that part of the sabino?

Here's some more pictures of her
default_smile.png

1185793_10151813014699711_1032718146_n.jpg

11527_10151889130084711_1332084642_n.jpg

1375115_10151901326239711_2125327629_n.jpg

I've looked into AMHA - that is the larger shows is it not? Is it worth it to just wait to see if she's even really show quality before registering her with them? If she's quality I'd LOVE to do lots of shows with her but I really need to see what she sheds out looking as now she's put weight on. I'm okay if she's not
default_smile.png
Unfortunately, since she's over 34" she cannot be registered AMHA. Bummer. She MAY be able to be registered PInto, though, with all her white.

Try this for making her stand:

http://www.starsminiatures.com/newwhoa.html

More great links: http://www.starsminiatures.com/videos.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back