New Here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bays

Reaction score
I recently found this forum and joined about a week ago. Im not a frequent poster but I enjoy reading everyones posts and seeing all the photos. There are so many beautiful ponies and minis here, I just have to say I am in awe!! Im a new pony owner, although I have had regular sized horses for many years. I got my first pony about a month ago, Im not sure he's actually a mini, but he is 36" high at the withers and has more pony features than mini features so Im calling him a pony. He's a bay Shetland type, 5 years old and although I was told he is trained to drive, I'm not taking thir word for it until I actually have him in harness and working. First attempts at bridling him were a disaster, with rearing up and fighting all the way. Hoping its just a tooth issue and not a training issue, as he is easy to handle otherwise and hasnt given me trouble with anything except the bridle. The vet is coming out next week to do spring shots so the teeth will be examined then. At any rate, I have an Easy Entry cart and pleasure harness waiting for him when he's given the all clear. Currently, I also have 2 Standardbreds that I ride and pleasure drive.

Looking forward to sharing experiences and learning from other pony/mini fanciers here!
default_saludando.gif

Welcome to the board. If you got pics you can share, please do. At 36", he would be a mini; AMHR registers upto 38" tall minis, AMHA registers upto 34" minis. [Oh, and minis are measured at the last hairs of the mane, so he might be a little shorter than you measured, at least when measured as minis are.]

Just like a full-size horses, there are all sorts of reasons for bridling to be an issue; and the teeth are a good place to start, then you can look into training/handling issues. Perhaps he's just testing you, these little guys can be too smart for their own good.

Welcome to the forum! Would love to see pics of your boy.

There's also a driving forum here you may like.
default_yes.gif

Welcome from Pennsylvania. We love new members and look forward to getting to know you and your horses.
default_saludando.gif

Welcome from Nebraska! I hope to be driving someday, too. Would love to see pics of your horses and I think Standardbreds are lovely to watch in harness. Hope you continue posting.
default_smile.png

Thank you all for the nice welcome. I will post pics as soon as my little yak loses some of that fuzz and I get him clipped up and presentable. I've only had him 3 wks so I havent really done a whole lot of grooming other than daily stuff. Im looking forward to working with him once I get the bitting/teeth issue solved. I think he's going to be a whole lot of fun and a nice little pony!

Latest posts

Back