new foal not sucking--help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamarack

Reaction score
My new colt born this morning is not trying to find the teat, but just sucks the mares leg. I have milked her and fed the milk to him with a syringe. I don't know how much or how often to feed him. Also, how can I encourage him to find 'the right spot'? thanks in advance. Tamarack

Feed him OFTEN. Like Kay said 4 times isnt enough. He hasnt gotton all the colostrum that he needs!

I take it that over 6 hours have passed since birth? (That's the absolute prime time for a foal to receive his "passive immunity transfer" via colostrum.) He can still receive some benefit after that, but it diminishes. I believe his stomach will be totally closed up to it by the time he's 24 hours old.

I would be feeding him every 1 to 2 hours -- whatever he will take....hopefully at least 20cc's each.

I would also recommend HIGHLY that you have your vet do an IgG test on him.

At some point he WILL locate the teat. For some reason we've noticed that it's the BOYS that are slower, which is odd.
default_biggrin.png

Since you're probably not sure how much colostrum he's received in his first few hours, I'd suggest being extra vigilant about sanitizing around him.......extra navel dips, washing your hands, even dipping his hooves in iodine.......until you know.......

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back