New Foal & color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernB

Reaction score
My Chestnut pinto mare foaled a tiny Black looking filly. She was bred to my Silver bay stud then came back into heat and I bred her to my bay stud. Her due date from the silver stud would have been April 3rd. her due date from my bay stud is April 19th She foaled April 10th. The foal has Silver or cream. She looks like a smokey black. Is it possible that non cream parents can have a smokey black? What makes me wonder this is that I have a smokey black mare that neither parent shows the cream but they have lots of cream in their lines. My bay stallion is sired by a buckskin and both sides of his pedigree has lots of cream. Any body know a good place that I can get Sire and filly DNA tested?
073950.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]She could just be black... black foals are not usually born coal black but having brownish or silvery undercoats. Congratulations on your new baby. I think this is one of the reasons to wait 45 days before putting to a different stallion.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Except that you can't always tell on a black horse, if a horse has the creme gene, it SHOWS. They can't hide that gene. A bay with creme WILL be buckskin, a chestnut with creme WILL be palomino (then if they have two creme genes, perlino and cremello).

As for testing, I got my filly tested through http://www.petdnaservicesaz.com/ (tested my dun to see if she is also buckskin, which she is... also tested a gelding to try to figure out his color... I"ve always thought him to be silver dapple, friend thought liver chestnut... but he is NOT chesnut and NOT bay, so I think I"m right! His tests say he should be black, minus other modifiers... so I think it's the silver gene that changed him to not look black).

Jessi

She's not just a plain black. Here's a picture of her. She's even more creamy looking today. Are their any tests I can do to find out for sure who her sire is? My bay stallion has yellow hais in his ears and down his legs he has white hairs and under his belly he has white hair and he has blue eyes. I'm not a color expert so I don't know if it would be possible that he could hide the cream. Doesn't sound like it though.
87284x1.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]If you DNA filly, mom and both dads they can parent qualify her with one of the stallions. She looks black to me, rather that she will go black. No silvering there.[/SIZE]

Lyn

The answer to your question is NO she cant carry the creme gene her parents colors wouldnt allow it to hide, it would show up on the chestnut, silver bay as well as the bay so you can take that out of the equation. she appears black to me

The creme gene must be present in order to throw it. The only way to know for sure a black is a smokey black is if one parent is a cremello or perlino or smokey cream or to get it tested but again in this case there is no way your adorable foal can be a smokey black

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back