New Filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I had a little filly born last night
default_smile.png

I am curious as to her color, Her dam is a bay roan, sire is black ( doesnt fade in summer, Jet black)

We do not know if the stallion is EE or Ee, but because he has thrown all black based foals, and because her is so black we suspected he is EE. Until last night when we got this little girl
default_smile.png

She Looks Chestnut. Very red when wet and as she dried she became much lighter.

She has 4 white hooves, and her legs are light, we cant distinguish in person where the white on her legs go. I had a blur roan filly born once looking like a strawberry roan, turned black mane and tail as it grew out. But this filly doesnt appear to have roaning at birth. Can she develop it?

If she IS chestnut, should she have pink lips? Ive never had a red based foal before. This girl has black lips, but her mane and tail are deeper red than her body which seems to have a buff/ gold color to it.

Pics :

111211930pm030.jpg

11131110am003.jpg

I am no good with colours but I just wanted to say congratulations cos she is adorable.

Cute foal! Congratulations!!

She looks like a very typical chestnut. The black lips are typical of chestnut, and her 'white' hoofs will probably darken up with time, unless she does actually have some white on her lower legs. Many chestnuts have very light legs--they may or may not darken up as she gets older.

Looks like you now can know that the stallion is Ee.
default_biggrin.png

I think she is red. The light pigment on her eye rims is typical of red based foals, and will darken to black soon. Also, even though the hooves are white now, they too can turn black as they grow out. I do not see white socks on any of the legs in the newborn (wet) photo, although I can't see her legs right down to all hooves. Once dry, they take on a cream color, thus giving the illusion of them being white socks.

Just wanted to say congratulations - she is beautiful!
default_wub.png

Liz N.

default_wub.png
:wub shes so pretty and no doubt about it shes a chestnut
default_wub.png
:wub

this was my lil colt

n1667744376_229939_7867754.jpg

not the best picture in the world but this is how he looked as a yearling..dark lips and pale legs/hooves ..his mane and tail were also very dark at birth but look what happened !!

27863_1394362353577_1667744376_974250_1104634_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The old timers would call her sorrel. I would call her chestnut. (same thing)

Back