New filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tami

Reaction score
My mare D'Armond American Diva, foaled a gorgeous perlino ( I think...lol) filly yesterday, my question....would you say she has a dorsal stripe? Her sire is a dunskin, so it is possible.....in the photo it looks like she does....

24954_1432743464427_1408128629_31158069_3385657_n.jpg

It doesn't look like a dorsal stripe to me, it looks like normal foal countershading. If you clipped it you would know for sure, as it would have a very defined stripe.

I agree she looks perlino though!

Very pretty, congratulations!

Andrea

Tami, that does look like a dorsal stripe to me
wub.gif
Plus, the shoulders look darker, ears look edged, forehead looks darker... so hard to tell on a double dilute, but my eyes are seeing indications of dun factor
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be a dorsal, but I don;t think it is due to dun. Buckskin can also have dorsals and darker points. This is my filly from last year...perlino, darker points and dorsal stripe. (no dun)

cremedorsal.jpg

It may be a dorsal, but I don;t think it is due to dun. Buckskin can also have dorsals and darker points. This is my filly from last year...perlino, darker points and dorsal stripe. (no dun)

cremedorsal.jpg

But when a buckskin have Dorsals and darker points doesn't that make them a Dun??? Maybe not but thats what I always thought

cremedorsal.jpg

But when a buckskin have Dorsals and darker points doesn't that make them a Dun??? Maybe not but thats what I always thought

First of all congrats on a gorgeous baby!!! It could be a dorsal or like Andrea said it could just be countershading, its really hard to tell with a photo especially when the horse isnt clipped. As for dun characteristics, the way I understand it is when it is a buckskin with a dorsal that makes it a buckskin dun because if there is a dorsal stripe it just means that they carry the dun gene, a true dun should also have at least some shoulder barring and preferably leg bars too. Just how I understood it, may not be right but its my take on it, maybe one of the genetic gurus on here will say more!
smile.gif

cremedorsal.jpg

First of all congrats on a gorgeous baby!!! It could be a dorsal or like Andrea said it could just be countershading, its really hard to tell with a photo especially when the horse isnt clipped. As for dun characteristics, the way I understand it is when it is a buckskin with a dorsal that makes it a buckskin dun because if there is a dorsal stripe it just means that they carry the dun gene, a true dun should also have at least some shoulder barring and preferably leg bars too. Just how I understood it, may not be right but its my take on it, maybe one of the genetic gurus on here will say more!
smile.gif
In the Quarter Horse world, if it has a strip down its back it is considered a dun. But in reality, the strip could be from the smutty gene. If one of the parents is not a dun, they can not produce a dun. I have a buckskin with a strip down his back, but he is a smutty buckskin and neither parent is a dun.

Thanks all. My fillies stripe is no wheres near as dark as Mona's. But her sire is a dunskin, buckskin with dun factor, not just a dorsal, he has shoulder bars and while his legs are dark way up, he has produced a colt that did have leg bars out of a non dun mare.

Latest posts

Back