New Filly Not Nursing HELP!! Picture Added page 4

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am praying for your filly. We had one in 2008 who presented as dismature, and the vet did have to tube her (and we had to have her get two plasma transfusions -- I hope your vet did an IgG test?).

Once our filly started nursing on her own, which really did happen rapidly, she got so much better so fast. I hope that will be the same with your filly. Ours is now 2yo and has been so full of herself since after the first week, she is borderline obnoxious.

It's not easy to get firm with vets, but if your vet is treating horses at your farm and you have minis, you kind of need to get on him or her about stocking some miniature basics, and tubing surely fits (inexpensively) into that category. I would have a fit if one of our vets showed up w/o a very basic item when tending to a newborn foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your filly is in my prayers. Our red bag filly displayed the same passing out symptoms as your girlie. The cause was a low level of colostum. She didn't not received a high enough level of immunity and developed an infection that caused her to be weak. She would be up nursing and then out. Please have your vet do an IgG test and check her level. Keep us all updated, we're praying she is a fighter.

Just a note while fainting foals are very scary assuming all else is well they do grow out of it very quickly

Hope your foal is doing better? And ditto what everyone else here said that that this is extremely urgent that she have these things. Also ditto on the vet showing up to treat a horse that they knew couldn't nurse and didnt have tools to work with!!!!!!!!!!!

Good News, she is now nursing on her own.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Vet took her IGg test, she is borderline. Will be getting plasma tomorrow. She still shows some signs of being premmie. But she does not look like a preemie. Tall , straight legs, already has attitude.

Trying to post pic, gave up. I am so blessed!

A huge thank you to everyone
default_saludando.gif

That is such GREAT new's.
default_aktion033.gif
I'm so HAPPY for you and the foal.
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Picture added for RC Farm

This pic was taken today. 3 days old.

She is gorgious... so glad everything has turned out OK
default_wub.png

lbgirl.jpg