New Filly Has Bad Front Legs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swd

Reaction score
2007filly.jpg

This little filly was born last night. Just wondering if we should splint or leave alone and hope they will straighten on their own. Her little knees just bend the wrong way and do not lock in the correct position. She is able to walk (but lies down mostly) and nurses for short intervals.

I remember someone posting a picture of a foal with legs like this on the forum several years back. The foal's legs eventually straightened but I can not remember if anything was done for them or not. Would appreciate it if anyone has any advice as to what I should do for her. We have considered splinting but then she would not be able to lie down, and if she did lie down, she wouldn't be able to get back up to nurse. That would be miserable for her.

Please, any advice is appreciated.

A vet will probably have you keep her in a confined area and can give a shot of some stuff (I can't remember what but Tetracycline pops into my mind...not sure though) that will help. I would not go without getting a hold of a vet, myself. She is a very cute little girl but definitely needs some help.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry for your darling filly! :no: Do you have access to a vet that is experienced with minis? One who has maybe seen something like this before? I don't know from experience, but I'm wondering if a compromise between no splint and a hard splint. What about medical bandages to give some light support, but may still allow the foal to lay down and stand up? Just a thought. Don't know that it would work.

Wishing you the best.

Please contact a vet!! My guess is that the foal will need confined until her legs get stronger, but I am NOT a vet.

I had a really wind swept filly like that about 17 years ago. we had her legs xrayed etc. We decided to let her out with her mom in a small fenced enclosure. That filly did straighten out and was sold to NY and there she became a supreme halter horse I was told . She is still there with Linda Pringle. Maybe some of you New Yorkers remember Spring Hill Mighty Little Miss?? Her foals have also been shown up there. These look terrible but often times they do straighten out when the tendons tighten.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
what a cutie.

I hope she does well. keep us posted.Bless her little heart. we will be praying for her.

Email Tony at Little America miniatures. He has had experience with this sort of thing. cjmm

tetracycline is to relax the tendons with contracted tendons..so i am guessing that is probably not a good idea for this lil girl. she's so darned cute! I would say perhaps see about getting a Vite E/Selenium shot....might help.

Thank you everyone for your response. You have all been very helpful. Thank you too to those that personally e-mailed me with advice. I really, really appreciate it. She and mom are in a small area where mom can not go too far from her but the filly can get some exercise for her legs also. Hopefully she will show great improvement by morning.

I still would like to hear from others that have experienced this leg problem and what the outcome was.

You really do have a situation. I know it is better to leave them un-splinted in most situations because then the muscles get worked and tighten up on their own. When they are splinted the muscles get weaker because they don't have to work. Sometimes if they are really loose, something has to be done. I liked the idea of some passive support, maybe an ace bandage or vet wrap for part of the day just to make sure the little gal can get up and eat enough? My vet wouldn't let me do anything for at least 2 weeks as she wanted to give the muscles every chance to strengthen on their own. She also had me confine the mare and foal to a stall for that whole time. It was amazing how quickly they straightened up! Best wishes

bow%20san%20antonio.jpg

This mare was almost as bad when she was born, you can see that she straightened up pretty well
default_smile.png

I have a picture of her as a newborn that I keep with my foaling supplies to remind me every year that things aren't usually as bad as they look.
default_smile.png

I would sure run it by your vet and see what they recommend for her, she's a pretty filly.

Jan

My mare, Lailah, had that problem, though not quite that severe.

My vet came to look and said to let her out with her dam to run. She was 100% better with no intervention in 36 hours' time. None of her foals have had that issue.

Liz M.

I had a filly like this- every bit as bad.

I will tell you what my Vet said to me at the time (It was not my mare so I did call a Vet)

Leave it alone!!!

Under no circumstances allow the Vet to splint her.

Do what you are doing, confined area, nice quiet place.

I did put on soft splints- just some artificial Gamgee held on with half a tail bandage- and I took them off at night.

She was six weeks premature and, as the Vet said, by the time she reached her due date I could not tell anything was wrong.

Hang in there, keep the Faith, she will be fine.

With one that bad, I personally would look at splinting. Why? Because they don't all do well when left alone & turned out for exercise. I have a friend who had a filly born like that 2 years ago--actually I'm not sure the filly was even as bad as this one--and initially she just left her alone. After all, that's usually the best way, right? The filly actually got worse, not better, just because she tried to move around too much with her mom. My friend ended up splinting (casting?) one leg--the worst one--she now wishes wholeheartedly that she had done both legs. The one she splinted came just about normal; the other one never did. It's not terribly crooked now, but it is crooked, and the filly does have arthritis in her knees. At two years old she is lame off & on. My friends says that if she could do it over, she would splint both legs, and right from the start--she wouldn't leave them alone for the first week or more.

Tetracycline is given to relax tendons... NOT the problem here.

How many days was this filly? Is she premature? She looks small. Is it possible she is early? If so, need to confine here to a small area, like 12x12, so that she doesn't run.

I say this because if she is premie, the bones are not hardened yet and exercise can "compress" the bones in the knee and do permanent damage. Had a premie 3 years ago, and she did very well, after 2 weeks of confinement and a little special care.

My "feeling" would be to splint several hours a day, with a soft splint, but a vet needs to be called and consulted.

I am also thinking that she might benefit from a shot of selenium.

I've had a foal or two born like that and the best treatment is CONFINEMENT until those legs strengthen and the tendons and ligaments tighten. Also, vitamins A, D & E are very helpful either by injection or orally. Good luck and I think she will be just fine!

I totally agree with Becky. I keep a bottle of AD&E in the fridge--very inexpensive from the vet. On any horse with problem legs or even a weakness, I give a shot (according to my vet) then another in a week if necessary. Also, minimum exercise.

Rita

I too remember Tony posting pictures of a foal even worse than this one, and am pretty sure they did nothing but give it time to straghten out on their own. I think that what you are doing so far, should work...and wouldn't splint them either.

Latest posts

Back