New Dye For Manes and Tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I tried this new dye and had to share. I only wish had discovered this sooner. I always like to dye my sun bleached manes and tails going into winter so we can still look our best in nasty weather. Heaven forbid we go into the holidays with a sunbleached mane or tail.

I found this in Walmart. There was a video on the end of the isle in the beauty department so I stopped to watch, then bought it. This is called FAT FOAM. I loved using this product because you don't mess around with a lot of liquid and its very neat to use. No more potato wrappers. You take the liquid and the bottle of powder and shake it up in the shaker container provided and it turns into foam, like shaving creme or whipped creme and apply like shampoo.

I divided the manes into only four wide sections, applied the foam and rolled it up to the top of the mane and attached with a hair claw. Tail and forelock the same way. I left it in for 45 minutes to develop because my black manes had a lot of reddish streaks. It rinses out fast and easy and covers leaving no bloches. The colors offered are not many, just very basic. It sells for $8.88 and it took only one to do a complete horse, mane, tail, and forelock. Yes I went back for more and this time I and tried it on me too. It has withstood about 20 washings to date and its still in there holding up well.

I found this video review about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHYdPuystVQ

Marty - I just love you!
saludando.gif

First, you are the ONLY horse owner I have ever heard of who gives dye jobs to her horses just so they will look pretty through the winter. You are awesome!
wub.gif

Second, I LOVE the sound of this product! I have always been too scared to try dying manes and tails as I was sure I would end up with a horse that was striped like a zebra. But since I now have a buckskin with a mane and tail that are more red than black from sun fading, it was something I was going to have to look into. And this sounds like something even I could do! I will be making a note of this for next show season!

Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sounds nice and easy thank you so much. My red bays keep their color in the manes and tails but the dark bays get very sunbleached. I am going to pick some up the next time I am at Walmart and give it a shot

Thanks so much for the great tip!

Thanks Marty!! Sounds awesome! I'll go see if they have a chocolaty/ashy color for Turbo's mane.

Leia

I always like to dye my sun bleached manes and tails going into winter so we can still look our best in nasty weather. Heaven forbid we go into the holidays with a sunbleached mane or tail.
By the way Marty this is why I picked you on another thread a few days ago as the best buyer for my horses
default_laugh.png
Sure a couple would not be happy with scrunchies but.. give them a few jellybeans every day and they would quickly be ok with anything you wanted to do to their hair

I am so glad you posted this product. Going to Wal-Mart! Our local shows start this month. How would you keep it off the white part of your horse(when rinsing)?

Thank You

Thanks Marty!! Sounds awesome! I'll go see if they have a chocolaty/ashy color for Turbo's mane.

Leia, They do. Its in my head!

Leese: awwwwww shucks

Charles Fam; Hey, They have to look good for the Great Pumpkin in a few short weeks you know. Then we have to look wonderful for Turkey Day. Then there is no way Santa is coming to my barn to find unkept messy looking Prancers! And lets not forget the Easter Bunny.

RC: I suppose you can cut a black trash bag and wrap it around them but I didn't. I just rinsed the stuff out and it dripped all over them while rinsing and out it went on the ground easy and fast.

Latest posts

Back