New developments!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Bonnys udder has been going up and down and she has been laying down alot this past few days. This *i think* is what has been putting pressure on her udder and causing her to have tiny fluid drops form.

I have been checking her fluid and today she was able to give me enough to test!

milk sample:

4-3-093pm019.jpg

Test results:

4-3-093pm025.jpg

Normal test strip:

4-3-093pmnts005.jpg

Todays afternoon pics:

4-3-093pm012.jpg

4-3-093pm017.jpg

4-3-093pm014.jpg

What do yall think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have something to compare your strip to for the readings? Is the milk sticky right away like syrup? I definitely think she is within a day or three of foaling. For sure. On the web site for Scott Creek, they say the fact that there is milk at all in a maiden is what they go by. That definitely was true with Flirt. She FINALLY gave me more than a drop or two, I tested her and she tested READY, and she foaled within 90 minutes.

7-10 days, but maybe 1-3???
default_wink.png

The fact that you got any fluid out of a maiden mare, I would say she is close. The nipples will probably not be erect till she foals.

But...when the apple is ripe...it will fall.
default_laugh.png

That is what my mother always told me when I was waiting for my first daughter to be born. She was 11 days late.

Holly,

Her milk looks just like Pixie's... it's runny and not sticky at all! Also their udders are the same so I guess it's a race now!!!

I really hope Bonny goes first for you as you've been waiting for sooooo LONG!
default_yes.gif

Do you have something to compare your strip to for the readings? Is the milk sticky right away like syrup? I definitely think she is within a day or three of foaling. For sure. On the web site for Scott Creek, they say the fact that there is milk at all in a maiden is what they go by. That definitely was true with Flirt. She FINALLY gave me more than a drop or two, I tested her and she tested READY, and she foaled within 90 minutes.
her milk is not sticky right away it almost feels oily.

Today was the first day I was able to get enough to test.

like you said usually struggle to get 5 drops, just enough to look at.lol then today it was easy to get enough.

This is what the bottle looks like: ( to compare) ( besides that the strips are usually bright green)

2-21-09630pm017.jpg

and the strip color:

4-3-093pmnts005.jpg

The woman who sent me the tests said to test again tonight, that the time the third square turns pink quickly, you usually have 24 hrs and if the 4th square turns quickly less.

you read the results in 1 minute after dipping the strip.

JUST AN FYI!!! My NON-maiden mare's milk looked like that and not sticky, tested NOT READY the night before she foaled. When I took her out to the pasture mid-morning the following day, I felt her milk and it was very sticky. I thought to myself "TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!!!" Didn't have to wait long, she foaled just a short time later, out in the grass paddock. This is not the time to take your eyes off your mares!

Edited to add: I never did get a "READY" reading on that mare's milk strips, she changed very quickly when she went. She was still clearly "NOT READY" when I tested her the night before. She had her foal about 1 p.m., and I had tested her around 9 p.m. the evening before. 16 hours. Don't count fully on those milk strips!

Bonny hasnt wanted out of her area all day. I had to convince her to go out this am and then she wanted back in by 2pm. I did convince her to go back out again but I can see her she is out there wanting in again, I am going to go let her in and keep the cam on (as usual lol)

Well IMO all 4 boxes have a pink look to them...the first two mostly but the last two do also, so I would think you are within that 24 hr. period!!!!!
default_yes.gif

JUST AN FYI!!! My NON-maiden mare's milk looked like that and not sticky, tested NOT READY the night before she foaled. When I took her out to the pasture mid-morning the following day, I felt her milk and it was very sticky. I thought to myself "TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!!!" Didn't have to wait long, she foaled just a short time later, out in the grass paddock. This is not the time to take your eyes off your mares!
Thanks for the info!!! I am not going to sleep much tonight...Holly probably won't either!!!Just waiting-watching-waiting
default_whistling.gif

Well she was so ready to go back in her stall area.

Shelly I will be up all night. Glad you will be too.lol, Lets hope they BOTH go soon!
default_wink.png

You are so close Holly I would not close my eyes until that baby is on the ground. A maiden with milk that colour just has to go soon. My experienced brood mare did not make it to the opaque white colour this year, she foaled with sticky yellow liquid and didn't get white until after. ENJOy your night of mare staring.

10 pm update

Of course I forgot to *feel* the milk! DUHH!
default_rolleyes.gif

But I did get of the milk and the test result is even better!

Test results read within 24hrs....I sure hope so!!!

4-3-099pmnts008.jpg

4-3-099pmnts023.jpg

Nada yet lol.

Her behavior was typical for her last night. lay down and sleep. hehehe.

However this am she looks way more ready.

her udder say Ok Now its time.

she is def getting stickier on the milk,it feels thicker this am.

4-4-098am003.jpg

4-4-098am005.jpg

4-4-098am012.jpg

Latest posts

Back