New Colt for Phish Mountain Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_1857272.gif
Your vet should be spanked!!!!!

default_pray.gif
Praying for your adorable little guy. He's so sweet!

Your vet must be part of the group of vets here in Reno. I had a mare retain her placenta and there was not one vet that would come out when they found out my mare was a mini. Next time I need a vet, the word Mini will not come out of my mouth.

Our vet wouldn't even come do an IGG test cause he said it would be a waste of his time and that the foal is gonna die. Note to self....LOOKING FOR NEW VET!! Talk about frustrating.
OMG.
no.gif
What a horrible vet! My vet would never do that....but if he did, I'd let him have it. We had a foal last year that no one thought was gonna make it. Well, guess what? He made it against all odd and turned out to be a beautiful healthy colt. Best of luck. Sending lots of prayers your way.

You commented that you thought he might be a dwarf but now you dont think so. I have had 2 dwarfs that looked normal at birth other than leg problems. And as they age they look more and mores dwarfy. I hope for you sake he isnt because I know the pain and cost of owning one. But by his picture he looks it to me. I dont wish a dwarf on anyone and I certainly dont breed for them. In the 6 years ive been breeding I have gotten 2 dwarfs from 2 differant stallions and 2 differant mares. Good Luck!

Any updates and PLEASE share more pictures of your precious little one
default_wub.png

He's SO cute! I'm thinking that he may not really be dysmature (premature) since I've had foals born earlier than that with no problem. I just had our first foal of the year at 315 days gestation and though her legs are "sretchy", she got on her feet within half an hour. The dam has gone as long as 340 days in the past, or as short a time as 307. I did have problems with a foal born at 291 days in the past, (he made it but did need lots of help) but then that same mare foaled next time at 297 days and the foal was quite strong. I guess you never really know...

I really wish that your vet wasn't such an idiot, you could really use some help with your darling foal. Good luck!

He looks very sweet, but I too had a first thought that said dwarf. I am not very experienced though, so I hope that he just needs a little time to straighten out! Good luck! And I agree, your vet is awful to refuse to come out. That is what he gets paid for for goodness sake. I hope you find someone else who is better!!

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, he is doing really well. We revamped our splints for him and came up with a new and better design that offers more support. You can actually feel his tendons starting to tighten in his front legs. His hind legs tho are gonna take a while. I couldn't find a vet that would come out as they either are not taking new clients or I am too far away so I am gonna have to try to get the "idiot" to come out at some point some how. The little guy I am 100% sure he is not a dwarf. The confirmation of a horse should fit in a box, meaning legs and body. Everything there is proportionate and that bulbed forehead of his is starting to go down. Babies heads are soft and mold to the birth canal but then as they grow the head changes shape and thank god his is looking much better. He has been even bucking a little, lol. Its too funny. Unfortunately we still have 2 feet of snow and mud in the snow blown areas so they have had to stay inside this whole time. We were suppose to get 12 inches of snow lastnight but vermont got it instead. I will work on getting some more photos this next week to share as my schedule with work and taking care of him is just crazy. Also, someone suggested maybe he wasn't a premature foal. I did some research and I'm sure he is. His ears were floppy, fine coat, lax tendons, lack of control of body heat, and his eyes weren't open for the first 4 hours. Those were some of the things listed as a premature foal unless a full term baby can have signs like that. But anyways, thanks for all the kind words and encouragement and I will keep everyone updated on his progress. THANKS!!

Oh forgot to mention, his registered name is "PMM Champs Xander Roo". Barn name is Petrie, like the little flying dinosaur on the kids cartoon movie "The Land Before Time". My brother insisted that we had to call him that, lol.

The confirmation of a horse should fit in a box, meaning legs and body.
A dwarf can fit in that "box" as well. They do not all have short stumpy legs - there are differents kinds of dwarfs and the synptoms are expressed in different ways. If he seems somewhat proportionate but looks "dense" or "thick" for want of a better word - that is another way to tell. How is his bite? And his neck? I love the name Petrie... and that character from Land Before Time.

All that aside, I am glad to hear that he is doing so much better!! Looking forward to seeing pictures of him up on his feet and running around...
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

His bite is perfect, his neck seems lean and of a proportionate length. He doesn't look thick anywheres. I would be interested to see a dwarf with long legs. Don't ever think I have seen one with perfect legs. My friend had a very minimal dwarf and his bite and neck wher great. Even stood straight on all fur feet but his upper leg was too short, which made him fit in a rectangle, not a square. Little begger was cute tho. I guess we will have to wait and see what he grows into. Both dam and sire have no history of dwarfs, and I know that doesn't mean anything but I'm sure he isn't. We have had many babies and he looks like the rest of them just really tiny and weak. But who knows.....

Congratulations! Great to hear that he is doing better already!
default_aktion033.gif

Congrats on your lil guy... I hope he continues to get better and stronger...

Latest posts

Back