New colt Born @ 4:30 am

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
We had a colt born this morning! Textbook delivery( I love those
wub.gif
)

Anyway, I am curious on the color, I am wondering if the mare or stallion is carrying silver possibly.

His dam is registered Cremello, although I believe her to be Perlino, She has not been tested but is definatley a double dilute. Sire is Palomino Pinto, he is lab-tested homozygous, but never went into depth to test for anything else.

These two produced a very similiar filly in 2008.

I want to say he looks silver pinto, I think his full sister was registered as a brown pinto, but with a dilute parent I just am thinking there is more to it....I know the only way to be sure is to test, but I just am curious to you color experts out there!

Here he is at around 6 hours old...still unfolding...and he is a tall one ...23" birth height!

4-27-10foals%20002%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

4-27-10foals%20018%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

Here is the filly they had in 2008

IMG_3265%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

Nice boy, but colours aren't my thing.

I had a filly yesterday about the same colour and members said Silver Black.

Congrats
aktion033.gif

Well, I am not sure here, but, if that foal were mine, (and I have to tell you that I wish it were!) I would test for Cream and Brown.

I am not all that savvy yet on visually recognising Brown, but I would guess Smoky Brown, before Silver.

Whatever the colour, that is a lovely foal, congratulations!
default_yes.gif

Very pretty boy congrats
default_wub.png
Colourwise as the mare is a double dilute then he is definately a smokey somthing and I would have said black but still learning myself so the only way to go is test

Congratulations on that nice colt!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah I'm definately not a color expert!! Sure looks silver in the pics but doesn't sound like the parent's have the silver gene. So my next guess would be smokey black. He's pretty whatever he is!! I'd get him tested to see!

Michele

Congrats on another beautiful baby! Hotdog sure is making you proud this year. Your mares are gorgeous and I can't wait to see how your 2010 foaling season turn outs. Good luck!

I get a lot of smokey blacks and they look just like that when they are born.

Since the dam is a double dilute (and a perlino) you can get only a dilute. He is not a palomino or a buckskin, so all that is left is smokey black. Many people mistake smokey black for liver chestnut or brown.

Congratulations on your new foal. I don't see Silver, but I suppose it could be a possibility. I suspect he will darken up with age. Black and Smokey Black can be that color at birth, and since his mother is a double Cream Dilute, he has to be Smokey Black.

Latest posts

Back