New Carriage Driving Hats!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myrna, I found some self stick foam strip insulation at the hardware store. You just cut a couple strips the right length for your hat, peel the backing off and stick it to the inside of your hat. It is comfortable and holds your hat on nicely.
Lori,

Great tip!!! I am off to the hardware store. Some of the people I sell hats to have smaller heads and I was at a loss to how to fix that.
The guy at the local Western store taught me to do that with my nice, shaped Western hats for Showmanship and such back when I was little. It's worked great on my carriage hats as well!

Leia

Great thread, thanks.

I just LOVE
default_wub.png
hats. Thanks for showing yours.

I drive in pleasure classes and love to wear hats. My hubby (who is English) went to England last year and hunted all over for hats for me. In England, you are not dressed unless you wear a hat to weddings and funerals! There are even hat rental stores where you rent a hat for an occasion.

My husband came back with a box full of fancy hats. The customs agent thought he was a cross-dresser...

Thanks to everyone for sharing their pictures. I have to get a hat for this year, I haven't found THE ONE yet. It's hard because I am one of those that do not look good in hats but I like them. So we shall see. I definitely got some good ideas from this thread.

My hubby (who is English) went to England last year and hunted all over for hats for me. In England, you are not dressed unless you wear a hat to weddings and funerals! There are even hat rental stores where you rent a hat for an occasion.
I bet that is why we wear hats for carriage driving. It is steeped in English/European tradition. Hence also why we drive on the right side and the passenger is on the left (if you have two seats on the vehicle!).

My husband came back with a box full of fancy hats. The customs agent thought he was a cross-dresser...

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I certainly do not know what is or what is not appropriate for a particular event or class, but I just wanted to post to tell you that I absolutely love this hat. Very classy!
I agree with you about Breanna's hat, it should be in a magazine. Thanks for the compliment on the beige hat. I have worn it in a Pinto pleasure driving class, and I am sure it would be very appropriate in the CDE dressage ring.

Here is the sister brown hat. It is a little different. I have been wanting to use a peacock feather so bad, this is how it ended up.

hats011.jpg

I still need to see pics of the cross dresser fancy hats from England!!!
default_biggrin.png

Ok, so now I have too many hats to store effectively. My mom got me a triple hat can from Driving Essentials for Christmas a couple of years ago, but I have too many hats to go in it! And the brims on some are too big to fit in their anyway.

What do you all use to store your hats?

Myrna

Ok, so now I have too many hats to store effectively. My mom got me a triple hat can from Driving Essentials for Christmas a couple of years ago, but I have too many hats to go in it! And the brims on some are too big to fit in their anyway.
What do you all use to store your hats?

Myrna
Oh! Myrna! Are you sure you want to know MY answer to this. It can create another obsession!....
default_risa8.gif
....Wait for it....
default_risa8.gif
....Wait for it....
default_risa8.gif
....HAT BOXES!!!!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
You can find the most incredible round hat boxes! They can be beautiful or if they aren't you can recover them with wall paper or whatever your imagination can come up with. They stack beautifully in the closet.

hats013.jpg

This is not the most beautiful one I have found, but the most recent. I may be a candidate for recovering.

You can find the most incredible round hat boxes! They can be beautiful or if they aren't you can recover them with wall paper or whatever your imagination can come up with. They stack beautifully in the closet.
So where do you find something like that? I have seen them, but not for sale! I was thinking of getting some sort of plastic bin, but I want something that will hold the hat off the brim. BTW, I like that peacock feather!

Kathy, your hats are beautiful! I especially like the gray and cream ones!

Myrna

So where do you find something like that? I have seen them, but not for sale! I was thinking of getting some sort of plastic bin, but I want something that will hold the hat off the brim. BTW, I like that peacock feather!
Kathy, your hats are beautiful! I especially like the gray and cream ones!

Myrna
I am not sure which stores east of the Rockies, but out here, TJ Max, Ross Dress for Less, antique shops, Goodwill. I look everywhere I go!

Kathy, I love your hats also!!!! You have good taste!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the complements I have the good fortune of living by Sherry Lower, she likes the smaller hats for people who show minis. The first hat is one of hers and it doesn't look it in the picture but its black and the last one is chocolate brown one of hers I got when she has he 50 % off clearance. She is so nice you can just bring her what you have and she helps you put stuff together.

Here are some pictures of the whole outfits....

Latest posts

Back