New Bennington Miniature Horse Carriage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minichick

Reaction score
default_smile.png
Just thought I would share with everyone that Bennington Carriages, (in conjunction with the European Miniature Horse Association - members have been doing the test driving), is about the launch a new miniature horse cart.

It's lightweight, (86lbs), easy to balance and adjustable. It looks really good too. Bennington already make a mini 2 wheeler but it's more suited to the bigger ponies. This one is perfectly proportioned for the refined miniature horse.
default_aktion033.gif

It will be officially launched at a driving seminar/try driving day at Long Bennington on 16th May - I will post pics from the day when I get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful news! That is really light! I can't wait to see it.
default_smile.png
Looking forward to the pics.

Sounds wonderful!! Can't wait to see pictures. I have seen a larger Bennington carriage that came apart really easily and looked very nice.

Oh, wow! I can't wait to see and hear all about it!

Margo

Oh, what a tease!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Now I want pictures before I go investing in the new lightweight Bellcrown model that's being released!
default_new_shocked.gif

Sounds like the vendors are really listening to us, which is fantastic.
default_aktion033.gif
Can't wait to see all the new stuff!

Leia

Oops! Didn't mean to tease. Sorry Leia.
default_biggrin.png

I think you will really like this cart. It looks perfect with a lady driver and yet one of the test drivers was a 6 foot fella and his knees were nowhere near under his chin!

We're really looking forward to the driving day. A lady called Amanda Saville is coming down from Scotland to give one to one lessons. Take a quick peek at her website when you have the time. As well as horses and ponies she drives a cow and a pair of sheep
default_new_shocked.gif
. (i'm not kidding).

Here's a link - http://www.chariots.org.uk/index.html

Just a quick update re the new Bennington mini carriages. The carriages were officialy launched at Bennington Carriage's fabulous new facility. We had a brilliant time. Team Bennington, (Micheal, Margaret, Sue and Wendy Mart), really pulled out all the stops to make a fun and informative day for us. We had a timed harnessing competition, rein handling demos, Long-reining demos, one-to-one lessons with Amanda Saville, (HDT, scurry & stunt driver!), timed cones challenge, driven display with the new miniature carriages. Fabulous day!
default_biggrin.png

Back to the carriages -

(the carriages are named after the 'test pilot'. The beautiful stallion Scott Creek Mystical Magnum).

Bennington Mini Magnum - size range 30-38". Option of moving seat or axle. 23" polyurethane tyres (no flats!). traditional parabolic semi elliptic springs. black vinyl upholstery. whip holder, powder coated in either black, deep coach green, midnight blue, victoria maroon, red or yellow. Weighs less than expected at 77lb/35kg. It's gorgeous.

Bennington Mini Magnum GL - is the posh version of the Mini Magnum. Same as above but with black leather dash board and mudguards. upholstery is in beige bedford cord with a black leather strap with brass buckle, coach painted seat board, wheels are coach lined in a choice of colours. Weighs a little more at 84lb/38kg. It's stunning.
default_wub.png

Bennington Mini Magnum 4 - size range 30-38", four 15.5" wheels with pneumatic tyres. steel tube dash board. black vinyl upholstery. whip holder. centre bolt system. Would be good for training. weighs 99lb/45kg.

pics to follow.

Oh, please, PICS ASAP! I've been waiting with bated breath for this; checking the Bennington website, etc....the descriptions sound GREAT! Thanks, minichick, SO much, for supplying us with this information!!

Margo

Here you go. (I felt real bad keeping you in suspense Margo).

Introducing the Mini Magnum GL

MiniMagnum2-3.jpg

MiniMagnum2-Portrait-1.jpg

Mini Magnum 4

MiniMagnum4-1.jpg

Lovely!!!! Now, how much$$$$ ? And when will they be available in the U.S.? 100lbs for the 4wheel?? Wow! Let's get some solid wheels and do CDE!!

Yippee! Now I have some questions....the new cart looks very similar in design to the original, but I can't really tell about the shafts-their shape and how/where they attach? The one pictured is the 'deluxe' version, right?

The small, 'motorcycle-like' tires will be an issue for over here, at least, above Training level, as far as I know? Can't use pneumatics on ANY vehicle in CDE's above Training level, right? I suspect it might be an issue to try to change out that kind of a wheel, with its hub depth, with any sort of metal w/ solid rubber tire I know of---what do others think? Still, because of the oft-stated 'superior ride' of a 4 wheeler, this could still be very useful, even if not able to be used over here in CDE's, I'd think! Especially if it can be used w/ a single horse....

Any details about how they managed to bring the weight down so much? Aluminum? Other aspects?

And yes, very important....cost??

Thanks again, minichick!!

Margo

I don't know if you can get a better idea of the shafts etc by this (hopefully!) bigger picture. My friend took some pics of the carriages whilst they were in the showroom and you may get a better idea from them. I'll ask if she minds me posting them.

MiniMagnum2-2.jpg

This is the posh one.

The rep for Bennington in the US is Jean Kinsella. I'm sure she can fill you in with prices etc. Her contact details are http://www.benningtoncarriages.co.uk/?i=37468

I'm sure the guys at Bennington will be able to help you with the spec. re weight etc. I sat in the two wheeler whilst Michael held the shafts with one finger - very easy to balance.

The website addy is - http://www.benningtoncarriages.co.uk/

Yay, photos!!
default_aktion033.gif
It looks like a nice cart although it doesn't seem to have footman's loops for breeching or tug stops to keep the shafts from slipping forwards, which surprises me on a British cart. Do you know if that's going to be standard?
default_unsure.png
Is there drainage built into that enclosed lower boot? The horse and driver are both lovely, if we could get his traces up and out of the way I bet it would be a very smooth picture.

They certainly managed to fit a lot of nice stuff into a very light-weight cart!
default_thumbup.gif
I'm impressed.

Leia

The lack of footman's loops surprises me too; I thought they'd be standard on any vehicle in the UK?

Does it have a singletree, or are there just hooks to attach the traces to? It's hard to tell from that photo.

default_yes.gif
Yes, the finished carriage will have metal tug stops fitted as standard. Breeching dees (footmans loops) come in either brass or chrome option. It does have a swingle tree and comes with curly hooks or loops.

The driver in the pics is Sue Mart who is a HDT advanced single pony driver. So i'm sure that this is something very different for her. The horse is Scott Creek Mystical Magnum. He was very well behaved considering it was a windy day and there were lots of mares about and he couldn't resist shouting his phone number to them.
default_laugh.png

This new carriage is very exciting for us as there is nothing else like it available for the minis. (over here anyway). It's also legal for British Driving Society classes so we can go compete alongside the biggies.

Oops, nearly forgot, Leia, yes there are drainage holes in the foot well. (would of made a pretty good 'foot spa' otherwise).

The only drawback I see outright with this lovely looking little cart is that it isn't really suitable to a breastcollar's horizontal draft. I would prefer to see the horse in either a Freedom collar with its adaptable style or a full collar. Is there any reason they dropped the singletree so low?

One other question, are the springs mounted right to the axle? I would have preferred to see them mounted separately on the carriage itself to improve the ride but then maybe it rides smoothly as is?

On their website it seems that the tug stops will be incorporated in the cart's own material and footman loops are chrome or brass options. I wondered about a singletree too but it is there apparently with curly hooks or loops.

i like it, but i do prefer the bell crown as it ....looks.... more nimble hence shows the horse over better imo

and the bellcrown has fantastic swan neck shafts which come in and out to fit the horses sides,

and it comes apart to fit into the boot of a estate car,

does this cart come apart?

it will be hard to beat a bellcrown in britain imo....

plus it also has the hard rubber tyres which is great for the showing aspect too,

but its good to see someone concentrating on minis

Minichick said:
The driver in the pics is Sue Mart who is a HDT advanced single pony driver. So i'm sure that this is something very different for her. The horse is Scott Creek Mystical Magnum. He was very well behaved considering it was a windy day and there were lots of mares about and he couldn't resist shouting his phone number to them.
default_laugh.png

This new carriage is very exciting for us as there is nothing else like it available for the minis. (over here anyway). It's also legal for British Driving Society classes so we can go compete alongside the biggies.
Yes, the driver looks very professional! So does Magnum although I was equally surprised to see a sidecheck and martingale on a British horse. I know they use them in the AMHA style classes over there but I thought, given the prevailing feeling about checks, that they would have come off for more BDS style events and turnouts.
default_smile.png

I'm going to disagree with MiLo a little bit about the suspension. The nice thing about torsion axles like the Bellcrown has is that they smooth the ride for both horse and driver. Springs that are mounted above the level of the axle leave the horse rattling along while the driver gets all the suspension. I don't know about anyone else, but personally my horse objects to that!
default_laugh.png

I do like this cart, especially at the weight, but I'm told it's $3850 including shipping to Connecticut with shipping to another state costing additional. That's well over $4000 for a mini cart!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
I think I'll stick with the new 92lb Bellcrown Aerocrown for $1,795.

Leia

I also think the Bellcrown Aerocrown looks absolutely MADE for Combined Driving competition, which I believe it will excel in. I am really interested in that cart, and can't wait to see one in real life. The Bennington is a beautiful cart, but looks more "Pleasure Driving" show style.

Latest posts

Back