New Baby at W W Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwminis

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Blue Eyed Boy
default_smile.png
Can we say legs!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Need help with the color![/SIZE]

Dam is a Dunskin and sire is a True Grey! So, where did the blue eyes come from?
default_rolleyes.gif

Bill

MiniPearls09colt014.jpg

MiniPearls09colt010.jpg

MiniPearls09colt004.jpg

MiniPearls09colt003.jpg

MiniPearls09colt001.jpg

Congratulations on your cute boy!! I think a lot depends on what color the sire was before he turned gray - he could be anything! Our "gray" mare is a silver bay frame overo with one blue eye, just as an example.

Congrats on your little one. It looks like your mare also carries silver. The foal looks to be a red dun, may also carry silver, with that said, I have also seen silver bay duns look like that at birth. At any rate, you are blessed with a healthy foal, thats always first and foremost.

Can't help you on the color, but he sure is a handsome little fella!

Ooooh I never knew what a "dunskin" was before now! I love MOM!!!!!!! And what a cute baby
default_biggrin.png
Congrats!

default_saludando.gif
ooooooooohhhhhhh! Bill he is just a cutie for sure. I am not much good at color but, looks like he could be same a Momma to me. Just a doll and legs, you bet!

Have several here who carry creme and silver. I've noticed that they very often have blue/grey or somewhat hazel eyes at birth but, change in about 3-4 wks. Even have an adult who was registered as "blue eyed" and is not but, feel it was the birth color thing. These guys often mature with a very light brown eye, obviously lighter than the brown/black usual. Does the mare have the lighter eyes?

Assuming Quicksilver is the proud dad and he's black based.

Whatever the end result, he's a nice little guy!!
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png

He is a very sweet colt but I do have to say he does not look as if he has blue eyes...and yes, Bill, I do know you know what blue eyes are
default_wink.png
but what sort of blue????

He is a Red Dun at the moment, with that depth of coat it is very possible he will go Grey, but it is harder to tell with the Red base animals than it appears with the Black base ones.

It does not matter what colour s foal is born to tell what colour it's eyes will be, the only colour that affects eyes is the double dilutes.

It is the pattern that affects eyes, a Splash or a Frame will cause blue eyes.

As has been mentioned both Dun and Silver, which are also dilutes, will turn the eyes temporarily blueish or hazel, ie, lighten up the colour of the eyes for up to six weeks, so it could be that he carries Silver or it could just be the Dun factor.

Nice foal, whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=18pt]Thanks for all the replies on the color and eyes! He's now 6 days old and his eyes are more blue than they were when he was born!
default_smile.png
I guess time will tell weather the eyes stay blue or change to a light brown!
default_rolleyes.gif
[/SIZE]

Bill

Back