New and investigating

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... I wouldn't have even THOUGHT to take a mini to PetSmart. LOL, I bet you got lots of socialization opportunities!

We do that with our puppies (once they are past high vulnerability to disease).

One thought occurs to me - what about the 'need to relieve' in a place like that (or nursing home)? Can't say I've ever housebroken a horse.

Wow... I wouldn't have even THOUGHT to take a mini to PetSmart. LOL, I bet you got lots of socialization opportunities!

We do that with our puppies (once they are past high vulnerability to disease).

One thought occurs to me - what about the 'need to relieve' in a place like that (or nursing home)? Can't say I've ever housebroken a horse.
Well, I have cleaned up after a few of them, but I got pretty good at watching. You know when they are going to poop if they start lifting their tail and they will usually stretch out when they are planning to pee. We head for the nearest door when that starts to happen. My 15 yr old gelding, however, will not mess anywhere except the trailer or stall if he is away from home. I never taught him that, but I think he learned because he has been going places since he was about 2 or 3 months old. I have a few others that didn't go unless in the trailer either. Another thing to remember is that they work on an "in one end out the other" system like we all do. If we are going somewhere in the morning, they don't get morning feeding--they get it when we get home. If we are going somewhere in the afternoon or evening, they get a little in the morning to make them feel they aren't starving and then regular ration after the job. This is one reason I learned not to feed on a regular time schedule. My horses all know they will get fed...sometime. They don't get upset when it is later because I usually feed at varied times within a 2 hour window. This helps with shows also since it isn't always possible for my help to get here to feed at an exact time. The horses are just glad to see us anytime.

My little mare won't go if she is not in her own stable or padock either. She definetly let's us know when she needs to go she does a little potty dance like a two year old. We just got her and I know her old owners never thought her this. Even when she is in the yard grazing for two hours she waits. But as soon as I take her in watch out.

Well, we have decided on a pair of very nice bays from an EXCELLENT, first rate breeder. The breeders have everything we would look for in quality dog breeders, which I think transfers pretty straight to the horse world. Every one of their horses is well socialized, tolerates hoof handling from reasonably well to "oh I don't care what you do", and they all look great.

I will be honest... I had to force myself to detach from one of their stallions. He and I just had a connection. But I don't see how a stallion would work with our situation and what we want to do, and I cannot feel good about buying a quality stallion and gelding him right off. This beautiful boy needs to spread his bloodline and temperament around! I still am sad about that though.

But we spent time with a very nice mare (2 yr. old) with driving (and quality) in her bloodline and great conformation, she accepted my leadership (after testing a bit) and was very willing. Nice mover. We also spent time with a yearling colt who is nice but not perfect, who is small and sweet (son of the stallion above) and should do great in therapy work. He and she were playing in the round pen, and I think should get along very well. He is spirited but mannered even being a yearling. These are just well settled horses, already habituated to dogs, and socialized.

Audrey:

Audrey-6-22-12a-cr.jpg

Lucky (bigger now):

Luke-7-7-12-b.jpg

They will board them until we get the barn and paddock built.

Do I love making work for myself or WHAT??!? LOL.

Congrats on your leap into the miniature horse world! Beautiful mini's! Keep us updated.

Congrats on your new "kids". They're lovely
default_smile.png

Thanks, still need to arrange for a prepurchase vet eval. Our local vet is a really good equine vet as well, but it is an hour away from her. Will chat with her this afternoon. They also provided vet names (not their own vet, for conflict of interest reasons).

Just continue to be impressed with the quality of the breeders and all the time they spent with us. I look forward to getting to know them better, maybe some mentoring, etc.!

So... I went by our vet's and she can do a prepurchase exam on both, tomorrow. However, my education began with her when she advised me to...

NEVER ever ever EVER name a horse, 'Lucky', 'Lucky' is a name for a three legged cat with half a tail and no teeth. I am just enough Celt to take her advice seriously.
default_yes.gif
default_giveup.gif
default_whistling.gif
default_pray.gif

The boy shall be Luke... LOL

They are beautiful horses. Just remember what you name them they become. Lol , my mare was called Diva when we got her and she is definaly a DIVA..... Lol

OK, here's a question...

I am reading conflicting information on limited access to hay vs. free feeding (grass hay, or 80/20 alfalfa at most). It makes sense to me to free feed, which would emulate grazing through the day, maybe with a hay net or some other means to slow eating. It would keep the gut working at a constant rate.

On the other hand, minis get fat easily!

Maybe there should be a poll to see how many do which, and with what results? I do think I want to supplement Luke to up his protein.

We have lousy Colorado mountain pasture, knowing that might affect your advice.

They look great in your picture so I would talk to the seller about what they are being fed now and how much. You won't want to make any really sudden changes to that anyway so it is important to find out that info. I do not free feed my adult horses, they are fed from hay nets to make the 2% of their body weight in hay last longer so they don't go long stretches with out food in their stomachs, but yours are just babies so I would give them free choice (nets will still help them not waste too much if nothing else) good clean grass hay along with something to boost the protein (here that is alfalfa and/or a ration balancer) If they seems to be getting to heavy you can decrease their grass hay.

Hay nets seem to be a good idea. My vet is against free feeding for minis; she has seen a lot of overweight ones around here. She does think Luke will need some extra protein but doesn't see much in the way of problems with him. She suggested additional worming for him, and without my bringing it up to the seller he started him on it. The breeder is a great guy, we really like him. Good mentor too.

Along those lines, some things I saw with the mare that bothered me (nothing major but still bothered me for my purposes... yeah, I'm pretty finicky) were confirmed in the vet prepurchase and she thought, though very slight, they would not correct with farrier work.

I struggled with what to do for a bit. I started rethinking my thinking process and mentally went back to the stallion who grabbed me on the first visit, but that I ruled out because... well, he is a stallion. But the connection was instant and mutual and that boy is beautiful and a responsive gentleman even with mares around. We went back up to really revisit our decision, and came to the unanimous conclusion that the stallion plus Luke, gelded, would be a very good choice. Without asking, the breeder has been turning Luke out with him - observed - and they sorted out the pecking order in seconds flat, and seem to enjoy each others' company.

The stallion is a remarkable gentleman, and quite settled and willing even around dogs, mares, traffic... he is just a very settled horse. More so than the two year old mare, by a long shot. Excellent temperament. I noticed when walking down the road with him, his slow trot and fast trot and canter are uber smooth, more so than the mare who had a smooth pace and a not so smooth pace. I'm excited to say the least.

All that remains is *another* vet prepurchase exam... ack.

Legend-Worlds-2011-2a.jpg

One of these days I will know to go with my heart. Certainly worked out in my marriage... ;-)

Nice video of his movement. I think he will make a great driving horse and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see why the stallion caught your heart.

Sometime you just know when a horse is for you.

I am so glad that you found each other and have such a fun adventure ahead of you.

Lovely stallion! I would enjoy looking out the window at him in my pasture every day. Good choice
default_smile.png

On the subject of hay nets, just to clarify, I of course was referring to slow feed hay nets that have holes small enough that mini feet can't fit thro. In the case of a youngster you might have to wait until his feet grow a bit depending on the size of the netting and his hooves.

Yep I also thought of making a hay feeder with vertical bars... similar idea. Of course with a barn to build I already have plenty of stuff to keep me busy...
default_whistling.gif
default_giveup.gif

Latest posts

Back