Neverending Saga: Fall House Cleaning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
It's that time again; time for fall cleaning. Its at times like this when I can identify with Lily Munster, mistress of the mansion except she likes her cobwebs! Alas, tis no mansion at all, but rather a small, quaint, rickety old mountain home that leaves much to be desired in constant repair and upkeep. These very old homes that were built with whatever was handy at the time back in the days of slavery, have many hidden places where attrocities can settle in and take up housekeeping much easier than a newer home. This place is such a money pit. It will never get fixed up right at the rate we are going so I often fantasize about having a volcano erupt wiping this stupid house off the map. One thing I hate about this big cleaning ceremony of mine is that no matter how hard I work, you can’t tell I cleaned anything, unlike a new home where everything bounces right back all shinny and new. Then I come back down to earth and realize there are people out there with no homes and loosing their homes every day so I had better count my blessings and stop complaining and start cleaning. I'm not a total slob and I do dust, mop floors etc. but with fall cleaning, I'm talking about the big stuff, the full monty; the dangerous stuff.

Twice a year I do a major cleaning in my house, spring and fall. It's the kind of cleaning that no one really likes to do or even think about, but it's inevitable. If there is any grease, grime, or yukky nasties hiding, they are about to be exposed and meet my wrath. This is the super deep cleaning of all the things that are either let go during the course of regular daily clean ups, or just gone over with a light wipe up. This is going to be so bad it calls for rubber gloves. The oven will be taken apart, the refrigerator scrubbed out like new. I'll either paint the bathroom or use explosive devices in there, but one way or the other it will be a nice place to seat your tushy when I get done in there. That reminds me, I have to buy a new toilet seat, again. I don’t know of anyone else that breaks toilet seats on a regular basis like we do.
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

We all know we have cooties in our homes lurking about and we also know where they are and where the real dirt is hiding. I get in complete denial and choose to avoid this gruesome task for as long as possible, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and face the evils that lie within. If any dust gremlins or creatures have taken up residence inside my piano they are toast. I'll be cleaning room by room, moving big furniture like a linebacker for the Rams in record time. I’ll stand back armed with my can of Fabreeze in one hand, can of Raid in the other, silver bullets strapped to my chest and a vampire stake tucked into my jeans. I'm incognito. They'll never know what hit them.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Closets are involved, every closet, and that usually provides for some very scary measures. I’ll have everything pulled out of every closet in the house. Not to worry, I have a cross, and an exorcism in place for those closet beasties. Whatever I been hoarding this time in those closets is about to come forward and identify itself. My hidden dust bunnies are about to start hopping down the bunny trail to my vacuum. My curtains will be down and washing while I will scrub windows inside and out. I hope they don’t fall apart. Things that broke will be fixed and things that need mending will be mended. I am about to have the biggest mess you have ever seen. It never ceases to amaze me that I have to make such a mess just to clean up a mess. Go figure. I just can’t wait to wash the living room walls down. That should be very special. Oh no, I just remembered I have to clean the cabinets out too and defrost the big freezer. :arg! :arg! :arg!

This cleaning ritual is a prelude to welcome fall into our home. Soon, our fall decorations will be coming out of storage and it would be a major sin to decorate a house that has not been properly prepared to receive them. To me, it's like people who put up outdoor Christmas lights when their yard is full of junk and the kids toys. So that's the method to my madness; to start with a really clean pallet.
default_yes.gif

After the cleaning is done, out will come the fall decorations, Halloween decor, and then the Thanksgiving decorations, followed by the big one....Christmas. To me, these decorations are like old friends that I haven't seen in a year's time and I get excited unwrapping them out of tissue and placing them all around. They are more than "things." These decorations are part of our history as a family and hold memories, so they are special. There will be some things handed down from my mom, and of course plenty of things the boys made which are priceless. I know I’ll fall apart and have a good cry, as I unravel them from the safety of their Rubbermaid containers and miles of bubblewrap.
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif

The rooms will be warmed up with throw rugs, pillows, scented candles, and Afghans draped across the couch to cover up with on chilly autumn night. The big crock pot will be plunked on my kitchen counter and the cookie jar filled with seasonal offerings, most likely compliments of Mrs. Pillsbury. Dan will no doubt be making cookies to look like pumpkins. That kid eats a pie a day so an assortment of pies will be baking in the oven daily thanks to Sara Lee. Ok, so I'm a cheater in the cooking department sometimes, but there is no mistaking my home made soups and stews. The music man will come to tune the piano which means I had better allot some time for practicing new pieces and brush up on the good old family requests. Come winter, I do play more than any other time of year since I'm stuck inside a lot.
default_blush.png

This is the weekend of our Mountaineer Harvest Festival. This is the weekend where everyone will be getting out their hay bales and decorating them with scarecrows and pumpkins and mums. So I guess I had better get cracking around here so I can get my stuff out eventually.I figure I should be done with the entire frazzle in a week or so, then I can finally go forth and conquer and bring out the fall decorations if there is anything left of me. Maybe I’ll just post pone this until next week……….
default_please.gif

Happy Fall Yalls from the Mountain.

Marty, I'm doing much the same, but mine is more decluttering so I can GET to the dirt I can't see~LOL My whole family has been subjected to me walking around muttering "I am NOT a maid, why do these people think I should pick up after them!" :DOH! Zac's room is in the works. He's co-slept and we (and he) are about ready for him to have his own, big boy room. Steve has given up his Tonka Mecca in our spare bedroom and has moved his office (and beloved Tonkas) to the room off of the master bedroom.

We've been recycling a TON of toys, clothes and household items through freecycle.org. You can go on and find your local group (will be organized through a YAHOO group). You can offer unneeded items or ask for and very often find things you DO need. It's all free and keeps unwanted items out of landfills. You'd be surprised that things that have no value to you can be so needed by others
default_wub.png
I recently gave away a HUGE pile of clothes, toys, a twin mattress, cookware and various stuff I cleaned out of closets and cupboards...people NEED this stuff! I've also received toys, clothes for Zac and even exercise equipment through freecycle! Don't forget craigslist.com too for selling those items you can't afford to give away, but that you don't need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really dislike housework but it's a necessary evil.
default_thumbdown.gif
I too must have everything cleaned before getting out the seasonal decorations. There's safety in numbers ladies ........at least we know we're not in this alone!
default_wacko.png

I really dislike housework but it's a necessary evil.
default_thumbdown.gif
I too must have everything cleaned before getting out the seasonal decorations. There's safety in numbers ladies ........at least we know we're not in this alone!
default_wacko.png
LOL, I could have used back up in the mud room a little while ago~yikes!!!

Boy do I feel better - I thought I was all alone in this...lol.

I give a lot of stuff to the blind organization where I live. The only problem is they don't come as far as my home - so, I have to lug (is that a word..lol) all my stuff to my mothers house she is closer to Springfield, MO.

Laura ..thank for the tips..how do I get on the yahoo group that does NEED things?

I am not familiar with Craigs list, but I have been hearing a lot about it.

E-bay is just too complicated for me. I don't know why I can't figure that stuff out..lol

I told myself I would never have another garage sale - but, if something doesn't happen I will have to box everything up and do one next spring again. I didn't this year - I LOVE going to garage sales - I just don't like putting on a garage sell...LOL

Well I'm not a pack rat and there is nothing really left to get rid of. It's lack of storage around here and tiny closets that are over flowed. All the shelves in the world don't even help. We just have a lot of "stuff"! aukkkkkkkkkk

Boy do I feel better - I thought I was all alone in this...lol.
I give a lot of stuff to the blind organization where I live. The only problem is they don't come as far as my home - so, I have to lug (is that a word..lol) all my stuff to my mothers house she is closer to Springfield, MO.

Laura ..thank for the tips..how do I get on the yahoo group that does NEED things?

I am not familiar with Craigs list, but I have been hearing a lot about it.

E-bay is just too complicated for me. I don't know why I can't figure that stuff out..lol

I told myself I would never have another garage sale - but, if something doesn't happen I will have to box everything up and do one next spring again. I didn't this year - I LOVE going to garage sales - I just don't like putting on a garage sell...LOL
Lisa, Just click this link to find a group near you
default_smile.png
Freecycle

Marty,

When you are finished with you house, would you like to fly up to the Pac NW and do my house for me?......
default_aktion033.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I would even teach you how to make my decorated glass blocks......
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

Marty, How would you like a working PAID "Vacation"???
default_laugh.png
After you've visited with Valerie, I'll hire you to come to MY house in scenic Central Oregon!
default_wink.png

Hey Marty, on your way back from MA's in Oregon, you can stop off in NM for another paid "working" vacation here in NM! Just think of all the neat places you could visit while "working"!

Absolutely! Send tickets! I'm there in a heart beat. I'd come visit you guys and clean for you in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

Can I bring Dan? :love

He won't help and probably make a mess but I'd miss him!

default_aktion033.gif
Yep I'd hire both of you!
default_aktion033.gif
Dan can help Steve get the motor home ready to come down and visit you all.

When do you want to stop in Iowa, after NM?

Latest posts

Back