never trust your dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry that happened!!!

It's hard to ever predict how an animal will act. With the exception of one dog, a black shih-Tzu who could barely hurt a fly, we have raised each of our dogs around horses. HOWEVER, though they've all been with us since puppies, there is one that I wouldn't trust. She is a mixed breed who is now 9yo and smart as a heck... but even though she's grown up around little horses and little goats, I don't think she can be trusted.

The flip side, though, in case this can help anyone else, is you may also not be able to trust some horses around dogs, especially little ones. I know a lot of people allow their dogs in and out with the horses, but we don't. Not even the big dogs unless we are supervising. I can just picture a kick or a stomp... We do have LGD's that "should" do well with horses w/o supervision, but I just picture a kick to a hip or leg... and our other dogs are shih-Tzu's, who only think they are tough.

So sorry for what you and your mare.

Thanks for being brave and humble enough to post this warning. We have all made mistakes with our horses, I bet you helped save a horses life with this post. It's important for people to remember that deep down a dog is still a predatory animal. That goes for Chihuahua to Danes.

wow that is horrible I hope that heals soon
default_sad.png

I never let my dogs (terrier and lab) out into a field with the horses or even a stall or tack up area, mainly because the horses would run them down and I was afraid they would get trampled to death and they were very docile so their first instict would be to run away from the horses. So I taught them when I would go into the field they stayed right at the fence line.. Took a while since my lab was very clingy but in the long run it saved for unneccessary vet bills

Back