Never saw this type cart before,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't make the link work. But, I think I know what carts you are talking about. There is one shaft that comes up over the horse and it attaches to the saddle gig. They are supposed to be easier on the horse. I don't know. I doubt I would ever use one. Besides the cart looks like it would be hard for a fat old person like myself to get into.

adding the pic for you

dorsalhitchharness.jpg

Where is the point of draft???

I'm not sure this would be a feasible "new and better" design. With the shaft style carts, the weight of the shafts rests on the horse's back and the horse pulls into the collar.

With this thing, does the weight rest on the horse's back AND they pull from their back??? It would be okay if the horse didn't have to PULL... but doesn't look like a good idea to me...

Andrea

I would have the same worries as Andrea. Maybe if someone worked with the idea and did some more adapting.....

Hmm..where does it leave the driver IF this horse decides to rear??
default_unsure.png
:
default_unsure.png
:

Hee hee hee Littlesteppers... I I know of several horses that like to spin while ground driving to turn and see you! Where does THAT leave the driver if THAT happens??? :eek:

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some people who scooter or bike behind their dogs. They typically use a harness like sled dogs and hook a line to it.

Some other people suggest a cart like thing similiar to this. Dogs cannot take weight on their back, so the traditional shaft arrangement isn't deemed workable. This seems like a further use of this idea. Doesn't make much sense to me for a horse.

It is hard to say without seeing more pictures or even better this in use in person however to me from the picture shown it really doesnt look at all like the weight is on the horses back it is a smaller horse and he really doesnt look to mind it is there or be "pulling" or struggling at all but again it is just one picture. I have seen dogs pulling something simular to this so being that a dog is MUCH smaller then a mini and they seem to do it with no issues I would think a mini could? but who knows

This type of cart was tried about 35 years ago with the Standardbred Racing industry and was called a single shaft cart.It was supposed to be the hottest thing out, but it isn't around today so obviously it didn't work real well. I don't recall what the pitfalls were.

I think it's a gooseneck..........

and the horse can do 360's around in it :new_shocked:

I think more then any weight on the horses back I would be more concerned that if a heavy person (and I am not a tiny one) got in it could lift a little horse right off the ground :new_shocked:

That's what I was thinking too Lisa, if it were a heavy driver & he/she leaned back a bit too far, the little horse would be hoisted up off the ground!!

I've only ever seen a cart like this once before, or at least it was very similar, and that was made for a pony of about 13.2 hands. The harness had sort of a ball hitch on it & the cart fastened down onto that ball. I really don't know what the benefits were supposed to be, nor did I put much though into the negative aspects. I do know that the fellow that had the cart I saw did high school dressage with his pony--both in long lines & hitched to that cart--and the set up of the cart didn't seem to hinder the pony's ability to perform at all.

For myself I just do not like the look & it's not something I would even consider buying.

the cart I saw was low where the driver sat. You would have to get a crane to lift me in and out. Besides, I think if the horse went nuts it could kick you in the teeth :new_shocked:

Does anyone else remeber Fred's fancy "circus" cart from AMHA Nationals a few years ago?
default_smile.png

fred.jpg

fred2.jpg

Yes, OK if you want to do tricks, I suppose- otherwise yet another useless gimmick!!

I'm sitting here looking at both pics posted and especially the one from Nationals...the Circus cart.....I can't figure out the mechanics on how that cart would work without putting quite a bit of pressure on the horse's back? Seems to me that's the only thing holding it up ...balancing it.

Looks like it would be very agile for trail driving.

Latest posts

Back