Never saw this type cart before,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since spousal unit came in second to Al and his Circus Cart at that Nationals I'll put in my 2 cents. This is not a new gimmick, This type harness has been around for centuries. The Russian Troika has some similarities.

However, Al's particular harness was designed specifically to allow the horse to perform circus tricks; rearing, kneeling, pivoting around, etc. The cart is balanced, just as any two wheel cart and puts no more pressure on the horse than a customary harness.

It will never replace the collar an hame for draft work nor the breast band fine harness. It is a novelty.

default_smile.png

default_rolleyes.gif
: I have to say I don't care for it..for one thing I AM a hefty (prefer the term "Zoftig") :bgrin and agree it would be a disaster!

I only came across it and thought it unusual and wondered about it, hence the post..I think SHammy agrees we'll stick to what works.

Thanks for all that input! Proves this forum works eh?

Maxine

:lol:

I think more then any weight on the horses back I would be more concerned that if a heavy person (and I am not a tiny one) got in it could lift a little horse right off the ground :new_shocked:
:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin That's funny...
Lisa..you might be up to a new exercise routine...RUNNING in place..kinda like a threadmill!! :lol: BTW..mine would prob float too :new_shocked:
default_yes.gif
:

Al B said:
This is not a new gimmick, This type harness has been around for centuries. The Russian Troika has some similarities.
However, Al's particular harness was designed specifically to allow the horse to perform circus tricks; rearing, kneeling, pivoting around, etc. The cart is balanced, just as any two wheel cart and puts no more pressure on the horse than a customary harness.

It will never replace the collar an hame for draft work nor the breast band fine harness. It is a novelty.

default_smile.png
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Exactly. It's no worse and no better than a regular cart as far as putting weight on the back or lifting the horse up off the ground and was designed to allow them freedom to turn and perform maneuvers that are impossible when restricted by shafts. It's a show-off cart. Yes, there are safety concerns with them. I gather they tended to flip over on the banked trotting tracks and non-race drivers do have problems with an insufficiently trained horse spinning around to face the driver. Dogs (who have no reins to tangle by spinning) use dorsal hitches regularly and enjoy them.

The only thing I disagree with in this post is the troika thing.
default_wink.png
: That harness has a "duga" or arch that goes above the withers/neck area but uses regular draft arrangements.

Leia

Indeed the dorsal hitch, as it has been referred to, is thousands of years old. It has ALWAYS been applied to large animals.

When the hitch was outlawed due to significant safety issues, (something the mfr. is very careful to never address), new markets were sought for the rig and it was miniaturized for dogs. The rig was brought to market with no harness design at all. Furthermore, the mfr. had ZERO knowledge of dogs or dog structure and proceeded, with the help of schills, to alienate and treat as idiots some of the most knowledgeable people in the world.

It was left to one of the schills to struggle for many months to come up with a workable harness. Now the mini market is and has been courted by Mr. Walsh.

My experience has been that, whenever any failings are brought up about any aspect of the design, you will be flamed and attacked without mercy irrespective of how correct you are and that the salient points of your arguments will be ignored in favor of the attack.

Just my experience,

Bb

My previous post was perhaps one side of the coin

The other side of the coin is that through hard work and diligence they have brought a unique and inovative cart to market that seems to perform nicely.

Apologies,

Bb

Latest posts

Back