Need your help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginia

Reaction score
I have a Champagne and cream stallion that has amber eyes and appears almost white. Sorta looks like a cremello but with different colored eyes. He was bred to a pinto who is either gray or blue roan (very little color and all of it on her lower sides)and who has blue eyes. Splash, tobiano?

Now they had a little filly with blue eye, pink skin and looks white (no color at all just like her sire)

My question is, I'm sending in some hair to Animal Genics and want to know if she should be tested for Tobiano? Sabino? LWO? She will be tested for the creme gene. I'm just no good when it comes to figuring this out.

HELP!!!!!

Ginny StP

She has black tips on her ears (MOM) the other side looks like this one.

Zenbi11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to say what pinto genes are involved without pictures. Do you have any to share? Otherwise, I would say to go ahead and test her for all 3 of those pinto genes you mentioned. It sure couldn't hurt anything (except your bank account I guess).

Ok, posted a picture of dam and filly

Is the sire a pinto or is his white from the champagne/cream combo? Does he have any white markings? I think the dam (beautiful mare by the way) has at least sabino and tobiano. When you get so much white it can be hard to distinguish specific patterns. The blue eyes would have to come from somewhere to though, so she must have splash and/or frame as well. As far as the filly, it is hard to say on her since she doesn't seem to have any distinguishable markings.

The Sire is solid white? Creme? Champagne? NO PINTO

I thought Tobiano's didn't have any face white? Also thought that Tobiano's spots were smooth edges...... Pinto colors baffle me!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I would test for frame and sabino for sure. The blue eyes come from one of those (don't they?)

I would guess that your mare is at least a Tovero. But she really thinks she needs to move to NM with me.
default_yes.gif
:

ginny does the dam have blue eyes?? I think the dam is a black and white tovero. the sabino gene is causing her to look "roaned" If the foal has black tips in the ears she could be a maximum expression overo or max sabino? with cremello as her base. I would test for LWO and tobiano and cream
default_smile.png
For sure the mare is splash and sabino but you cant test for those (or at least not yet)

but the filly could be a solid cremello. very hard to tell.

beautiful filly!!!

Actually, you can test for Sabino1 now. It is only one gene that produces the pattern we call sabino.

The filly Snow White Zenbi, is pure white, no color on her at all. I'm trying to find out if she is a maximum pinto or possibly a cremello but I don't think her dam has any creme genes.

Zenbi1.jpg

Zenbi8.jpg

She does have bright blue eyes.

ginny you probably know that to get a double dilute (cremello) both parents have to carry cream. I must be brain dead because I didnt think of that LOL. So cremello is out of the question since the mare isnt carrying cream. I misunderstood and thought you meant that the FOAL had black tips. Have you looked inside her ears? Chief is a max white overo and has black spots inside his ears.

My guess then now that i took longer to think is shes probably a max splash. But I would still test her for LW or test the mare for LW. If the mare carries LW then the foal could be carrying all pinto genes making her a max overo. For compariosn heres chief max white overo

kylechiefshowgreat-304x220.jpg

Ginny...I have no earthly idea but that is probably the best filly you've made! Absolutely exquisite! :aktion033: :new_shocked: Bet she's a keeper!

Thanks Deb...I think so too
default_wub.png
: She is Ridgehavens White Cloud first ever foal. I put her on my web site and she was sold the next day. Then his 2nd foal arrived...Champagne Appoloosa!!! He's as handsome as she is gorgeous. White Cloud done good.
default_wub.png
:

Now I just have to find out what she is??? LOL

Well....what color is the dam's parents? If one of them is a cream carrier, then it's possible that she could be a "Smoky Black" Sabino & carry the cream gene...which would mean the filly could very well be a Cremello.

She could also be a Max White Sabino!
default_yes.gif
: Even if the sire is not a pinto....he could have lots of Sabino roaning, but it wouldn't show with his very light coloring.

I would have her tested for Cream, Sabino & LWO.

Regardless of what she is genetically.....she is quite stunning! :aktion033:

I thought Tobiano's didn't have any face white? Also thought that Tobiano's spots were smooth edges...... Pinto colors baffle me!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I would test for frame and sabino for sure. The blue eyes come from one of those (don't they?)

I would guess that your mare is at least a Tovero. But she really thinks she needs to move to NM with me.
default_yes.gif
:

Tobianos DON'T have any facial white....UNLESS there is another pinto pattern involved. A horse that is ONLY Tobiano (with no other pinto patterns) would not have any face white. Same goes for the spots with smooth edges.

When a Tobiano also carries an Overo pattern such as Sabino or Frame (like this mare does) ....the edges will be jagged and/or lacy. Sabino, Frame & Splash will all put facial white on a Tobiano as well. The blue eyes come from either Splash or Frame. Altho, occassionally you will see a Sabino with blue eyes.

Any tobiano that carries an overo pattern as well, is a Tovero, and won't have the "typical" Tobiano patterns. They will have a combination of Tobiano & Overo.
default_yes.gif
:

First of all, let me say that she is gorgeous! Secondly, my "guess" would be that she is Maximum Pinto (probably a combination of patterns).

I agree, testing for Tobiano, LWO, and Cream can tell you a lot. Testing for Sabino may or may not tell you much.

Dona beat me to everything else I wanted to say. Smart girl.

Well, after careful consideration of all your varied and insightful comments and suggestions, I have decided to GET ALL THE TESTS DONE. Geez I'll never gt this color thing down :new_shocked:

Thank you all.

Ginny StP

Unfortunately for you there is NO reason why she cannot be Maximum Splash, DD + Champagne!!!!

I am going to throw my hat into the ring and say the mare looks (Smoky)Silver Black Splash + Sabino + Tobiano and obviously you should test for Frame.

Is there Silver behind her to make that possible and do you actually have pictures of the mare- I have trawled through your website to no avail
default_smile.png

Now I know for sure I'll never get this color thing down.

Got the results back:

LWO Neg.

Tobiano Neg

Dilute Neg

Sabino1 Double Pos, she is Homozygeous Sabino!!!

Geez she's solid white and her sire is solid Ivory Champagne, mom must be a Sabino and Dad too!

I'll post pictures on another thread late tonight when I get home of all three! Now I have to get White Cloud tested to see what he is besides Sabino. Can he carry the creme gene and NOT pass it to his offspring?

Ginny, still very puzzled
default_wacko.png
:

i kinda thought she was like chief and homozygous for something just couldnt figure out what lol. Ill warn you these solid white horses get tons of looks and questions. everywhere we take chief people ask us how we got a solid white horse lol. shes so beautiful doesnt matter what color she is
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back