Need to re home my Falabella Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
I guess the credit crunch is really taking a hold as nothing seems to be selling over here in the UK right now. I have a 4 year old 100% pure Falabella Stallion who really is a gem and is lovely looking. He produced a lovely spotted foal last year (the one in my avatar) who also has an excellent temperament.

I cannot keep him as it's my goal to breed British Spotted minis and I already have a spotted stallion and a colt, who no doubt will start to feel his little trotter soon!

My question is this: Should I continue trying to re home him as a Stallion or should I geld and break for ride or drive (he's a tall Falabella and is nearly 11hh).

Do you guys have any advice for me, such as a very different advert etc?

Here's a picture of him. He is Vladamir of Mallards and is fully registered.

Storm004.jpg

Is that the photo you are using to advertise the horse? I'll be perfectly honest and say that if it is, he could be the best Falabella around, but I probably wouldn't give him a second glance from that photo in an ad. I would get some awesome pictures, write up a catchy description, start training him to ride and drive as a stud, plus offer a gelding incentive of some sort, then you could appeal to several sorts of buyers (especially if he's priced reasonably).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Mininik it is the photo I'm using. I can get an up to date one, but he'll be in winter woolies - will that be ok?

Also, I have no idea on price..............and I'm not greedy. Could any of you suggest a reasonable price, considering the credit crunch?

It may be hard for a lot of us to say, because most of us are more familiar with pricing on this side of the pond and also as to what is in style over here, vs. over there.

To me, he looks more like a driving gelding candidate than a breeding stallion, but that is how I'd view him here, vs. there.

As to winter shots, can you head and neck clip him then pose him for pictures? That may help.

Good luck!

Honestly??

He's a black pony.

OK that is harsh, but so is the financial climate and if you look at Horse Deals you will see that there are plenty of good animals going for peanuts or not selling.

Yes, the photo is not a brilliant one but at his height I doubt very much if you will find anyone that wants to use him to breed Minis or Falabellas...everyone will be going for the under 34" animals.

If gelding and harness training is an option I would go for that, it is what I have done with Bertie (even though he is only 32") as it gives him a job, and if he does not sell, and I am in no hurry there, he can babysit the colts this summer and teach them some wisdom!!!

Once he is gelded he is no longer a problem and you can relax.

As a stallion black ponies are ten a penny, as a harness horse, they are smart and well liked!!!

And taking new photos in winter woollies will not help...if you are wanting to sell him now he will need to be clipped out and in show condition for anyone that comes to see him anyway.

I would say gelding is the best way to go as then you will have time to think.

And even in spotted ponies it is the under 34" ones that are "fashionable" anyway.

thanks all for your honest opinions - it really does help.

I have clippers and I had already thought about breaking for drive and gelding - so, that's the plan! He's a lovely chap and very easy to work with so I guess he really would be ideal for driving or first ridden.

Will start doing some road work with him as he happily accepts a bit and bridle, then I'll build up to long reining and get him clipped.

I'll try and keep you updated, although it will be hard taking pics when he's out and about, just me and him.
default_laugh.png

It may be hard for a lot of us to say, because most of us are more familiar with pricing on this side of the pond and also as to what is in style over here, vs. over there.
To me, he looks more like a driving gelding candidate than a breeding stallion, but that is how I'd view him here, vs. there.

As to winter shots, can you head and neck clip him then pose him for pictures? That may help.

Good luck!
I really agree with Jill. Jill and I are both gelding fans, so I agree 100% that gelding him would be the way to go!
default_biggrin.png
I'm not saying he's poor quality, but that he'd make a great gelding!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back