Need some tips please!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShashwatAcres

Reaction score
What do I need to look for when looking at horses for possible show prospects? I have a general Idea but would like some feedback as to what one would look for in a show prospect.

Thanks

Becky

default_saludando.gif
thats hard to say when typeing and not looking at a horse

something with good comformation nice straight legs

and just nicely put together horse

and a horse that just make YOU go WOW thats stunning

good luck on finding you show horse

I like a long, high set neck, small head, big eye, nice / long legs, good hip, highset tail
default_wub.png

It's very possible for a horse to have correct conformation but not be the right "type" to show. I think a horse has the best shot of showing well if he or she is not only correct, but also typy. When I first started showing minis, I always did well at open shows against quarter horses, and it took me awhile to understand that it's about more than just correct conformaiton when it comes to registry shows (though that's the foundation for sure -- you have to also factor in type).

Are you able to attend some registry shows? You can learn a lot by watching the halter classes and following what the judges favor.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
When purchasing a show prospect, here are the things I look for........

•  
  • a well balanced horse with a nice expression
  • long uppity neck
  • big hip
  • pretty head
  • straight legs
  • good bite
  • good attitude

and if they don't have these.........I keep looking.

Honestly besides good conformation you have too look for what you like. Do you like the arabian type or the quarter horse type? If you want to do halter try to find something exotic looking, more like an arabian type. One that is refined, leggy, long necked, dishy head. Or if you want the quarter horse look sometimes they can do well in halter but not always. I like this look as I am more into performance. Something that has build to it, always look for a nice big hip for this style, and nice shaped head with good size jowel, wouldn't necessary want a dishy head on a qh built.

Another thing too look at is the color of the horse. If you want to do halter I highly recommend something thats a solid. Pinto or app can really make or break you, depending on their patterns. For a driver something thats flashy and really make a judge notice you on the rail.

Other then that I recommend going to some breed shows and just see whats out there. Its hard looking thru magazines and thru the internet its defintelly different seeing it in person especially at Nationals and Worlds.

Well thats just is I really want to find a horse that could end up being an all around horse, as I want to show in halter and driving and jumping well you get the point lol. Whats bad is I like both the arabian looking and the quarter horse looking as I was raised with both the arabians later in life but I still like the look. I really like the Bays I have a thing for a bay horse lol but I do like the pintos as well for alittle color factor so I just really dont know what I would like or need ugh its so confusing lol

I would just find something that has a nice built to it but is also more I guess you can say more feminine looking. Not sure if your wanting to show in AMHR or AMHA, but in AMHR the horses just have more bone to them, I think the perfect example is look at the AMHR/ASPC ponys. If you want to do AMHA they really go for more of the arabian refined look in halter especially at Worlds.

Hahaaaa I think Diane is right, just buy 2. We all start out thinking about 1 but more just seem to appear in the pasture. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Becky,

Santa and I always like to have shiny noses on our little ones, you may have heard, the shiny noses come in rather handy in snow storms. We also like to have them be able to do alittle flying, even if its just over your house and perhaps your neighbors. Santa doesnt like them to have any fear of heights but he prefers to "finish' them his way. I hope this helps you a little. Well I must run along as I am baking 4 dozen yule logs this evening and still haveto add the faces to my ginger bread men. Please dont forget to let Santa know ASAP if you are still wanting a bay horse because those went very quickly last season.

Happy Holidays To You and your Family

Mrs. Claus

Last edited:
I agree the judges seem to prefer the arabian "feminine" type, but sometimes it gives the "classic" style no chance- which I tend to LOVE! I really like the ones that are more quarter horse style. I think the Arabian style is beautiful, but look a little fragile, it seems they are being so bred to look like that, that their necks are starting to look like a giraffe and they are so thin, they won't be able to do anything but halter. Not ALL breeders are doing this, just some I have seen almost went to far. I would love for the thicker more athletic style to come back around in the halter. Just my opinion.
default_wink.png

Right I understand Im a quarter horse fan myself did the whole rodeo scene back in high school and after i graduated i got introduced into the arabians so thus I really like them as well. Its just so difficult to know exactly what I want or would like since Im torn between the 2

Latest posts

Back