Need some opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnRs Lilnickers

Reaction score
Last year one of the foals born here had diahrrea on and off but nothing to bad and it cleared up with alittle pepto. I sold her and have kept in contact with her new owner, she has had problems with diahrrea, she has wormed her several times, had the vet out he thought it might be a bad case of worms that weren't affected by the wormer, he gave her something and it worked for awhile. She just sent me an email that she now has it again, she thinks it might be from putting her out on grass now, she is afraid maybe she can't have grass ever...... Has anyone else had problems like this and what did you do? I just thought I would ask and see what kind of answers I get. Thanks in advance.

I haven't had this problem, so don't know first hand, however...

Any chance the filly is going to town on a salt block? I've read here that foals sometimes really go after a salt block and get diarrhea from that; don't know if it happens to old horses, but I suppose it could.

What about sand ingestion, I've heard diarrhea is sometimes a symptom of sand in the gut. [looks like Eagles Ring posted about the same time as me.]

We have had this happen with one horse. It about drove me crazy. We did find that she does better on alfalfa hay then grass and ultimately has no problems at all if we keep her on complete feed and just a bit of hay. My vet was also stumped but I know I talked with another breeder that also went thru it and for some of them you just never know why they do it.

A farmer here told me that the different cuts of grass will make the horse drink more or less water depending on the sugar or something in the make up of the hay. One dry grass gave my horse diarrhea, and he said because it was making the horse drink more water , Oh I remember him saying it was the salt content , not sugar. Anyway said give a different hay. I gave a coconut cookie to stop it and changed the grass. everything was fine after that. Hope this info helps

We had a filly awhile back who was prone to diarrhea, never knew completely what caused it (stress was a factor) but BioSponge was the only thing we found that actually cleared it up.

Jan

Latest posts

Back