Need opinion on halter colour and type for my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on which colour and style would suit my miniature horse mare, Penny, Raylee Park Classic Touch,

looking to show her a little this year in halter and maybe jumping (still not sure yet)

I have picked out two halters that I like but I can't decide on colour or style... so your help would be appreciated.

she is 36" Chestnut Sabino, with Blue eyes and a big white face, pics below... I have had her only a year and she has taken a bit of work to get into condition, the first pics are from January this year, last pics are from March... she is in winter coat at the moment so I can't show you how she looks at present, but you can get a glimpse of her colouring and such...

2712113.jpg

2712112.jpg

580725_10150970764874027_767189026_13123152_1276926342_n.jpg

576976_10151096274814027_767189026_13307676_2054152339_n.jpg

the halters I am thinking are below...

15-2030__13453_zoom.jpg I'm liking this one.... don't think purple will suit her though but not sure... it does come in gold, turquoise, blue and green...

15-2035__32530_zoom.jpg not sure about this one. it also comes in the same colours as above besides gold

any opinions on her are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Cassie

Bar halter for sure over beaded and in gold or green or blue. You already know from the foaling threads my vote is for green
default_wink.png

Definitively choose the 1st one and I think she can pull off any of those colors IMO. You have to have a really nice head to pull off the cable halters like the 2nd one, her head doesn't look bad but the white doesn't help.

First halter in green or purple! I think green would look great on her face!

I also much prefer the first halter, I own three of them in purple, gold and turquoise and they are all very pretty halters. Green is always classy on chestnuts, as is blue in my opinion
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Bar halter for sure over beaded and in gold or green or blue. You already know from the foaling threads my vote is for green
default_wink.png
Thanks Bree
default_smile.png
yeah I'm probably going to go green, I just wanted to get some more opinions, as they aren't cheap (as you know hehe) and I want to get the right colour for her.

you know how much I value your opinion
default_smile.png

ok thank you for your advice, I know she isn't the most brilliant of miniature horses and I know she won't ever get far, but I just want to have a bit of fun with her and just see how she goes.

First halter in green or purple! I think green would look great on her face!
I also much prefer the first halter, I own three of them in purple, gold and turquoise and they are all very pretty halters. Green is always classy on chestnuts, as is blue in my opinion
default_yes.gif
thank you both
default_smile.png
I personally love the colour purple hehe but as you all say I think green would suit her best, thank you so much for you help and opinions. might go ahead and order it now hehe.

thanks again
default_smile.png

I also like the first halter, but I wonder about blue or turquoise if that will bring out the blue in her eyes?

I also like the first halter, but I wonder about blue or turquoise if that will bring out the blue in her eyes?
hmmm good thought, I hadn't thought of that... I really wish I could get a look at a turquoise or green one to see what colour green or turqoise they are... but the place where I will buy them from don't have the other colours on display for me to see... lol makes it hard.

For jumping I use a plain black leather "barn" halter, with a chain under the chin if the horse is used to it. Pinto rules specify it has to be a plain leather halter - no silver or "bling". If your rules allow it, I would just use a nice nylon barn halter for jumping, but not a nice dainty show halter.

They've described the green as 'kelly green' so give that a google. Thankfully all greens work on chestnut!

I personally think turqouise looks good on any horse... but I'm biased because it's one of my stud colours
default_new_rofl.gif
but it does suit some horses more then others. If I was going for a blue colour on penny I'd pick navy, royal or a nice sky blue.

You could contact the place and see if they would be willing to describe or take a pic of the other colours you're thinking of. Never hurts to ask
default_smile.png

For jumping I use a plain black leather "barn" halter, with a chain under the chin if the horse is used to it. Pinto rules specify it has to be a plain leather halter - no silver or "bling". If your rules allow it, I would just use a nice nylon barn halter for jumping, but not a nice dainty show halter.
Over here in Australia we can't have chains on for jumping or buckles on the nose. We can use rope halters or a barn halter (either nylon or leather) as long as it meets those rules. Some places won't even allow a metal clip on the lead and you have to use the tie on ones.

Thanks, oh I didn't thing of that, will google that colour now
default_smile.png

lol now I dn't know which colours again LOL
default_frusty.gif
hehe.

I emailed them and asked them for the colours but they said they didn't have any pics of the colours at the moment
default_thud.gif

Over here in Australia we can't have chains on for jumping or buckles on the nose. We can use rope halters or a barn halter (either nylon or leather) as long as it meets those rules. Some places won't even allow a metal clip on the lead and you have to use the tie on ones.
where do you get your jumping halters from Bree?

ok Kelly green is quite a nice colour... lol but so is turquoise LOL ahhh,

Derby's current one is from someone I show with, I'll tag you on FB on one of her ads.

Spesh's leather one I found at the local tack store oddly enough!

I vote for the purple one
default_yes.gif
Your girl looks a bit like my bay boy and he looks great in purple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you
default_smile.png
your boy is nice
default_smile.png
cute little head.

considering she has blue eyes... would you all still decide on green? I was thinking maybe blue... to bring her eyes out more and blue still looks good on Chestnuts...

I have spoken to the pple I will get them frm and she said if the colour doesn't suit I can take it back and swap for another colour
default_smile.png
so thats good to know

Thanks for all your help everyone
default_smile.png

I'd use a halter with a wider nose band and think she'd look pretty with gold hardware and burgundy color strip.

Latest posts

Back