Need info on Banamine(sp?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

Reaction score
A while back, I had a horse that was possibly collicing. Rolling and so forth. Called the vet, he told me to come get some banamine from him and try that and see if things got better in a couple hours. Horse got better, so guess it was a tummy ache.

Here's the question.....the tube the vet gave me says "Flunixin Meglumine". I decided I should have some around, just in case. This tube is almost outdated, so I was gonna buy some from Jeffers. I can't find it. I can't find banamine either.

What's up? What is this stuff and how and where can I get some?

I get it from the vet along with gastoguard to prevent uclers from using banamine.

Banamine is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It's a very commonly used analgesic that's used to relieve pain and inflammation for a variety of injuries and ailments. Banamine is a trade name; the drug is actually called -as you found out- flunixin meglumine. It shouldn't be hard to find. It's only, however, sold/given through a vet -here in Canada, at least.

My understanding is it can only be bought with a prescription from a vet or directly from the vet. Not something to be used without the advice of a vet. Has anyone heard of a vet prescribing banamine that is normally injected, to be given by mouth?

We buy the liquid version through our vet, as you can give the liquid either orally or via injection. Either way, the dosage is the same -- 1cc per 100lbs. If you buy from a catalog, you'll still need a vet's perscription.

MA

You must have been writing at the same time as I...well I received my answer!
default_yes.gif
: Didn't know if it were a common way to give it or not.

We buy the liquid version through our vet, as you can give the liquid either orally or via injection. Either way, the dosage is the same -- 1cc per 100lbs. If you buy from a catalog, you'll still need a vet's perscription.

MA

My understanding is it can only be bought with a prescription from a vet or directly from the vet. Not something to be used without the advice of a vet. Has anyone heard of a vet prescribing banamine that is normally injected, to be given by mouth?
Yes I do this all the time and according to all the vets I have asked it works much faster this way then the paste which can take hours to really work I have heard?

I wont do it if the horse needs subsequent doses unless given with Gastro guard as it can be very hard on the tummy not to mention it tastes HORRIBLY BITTER

I'm curious, why do you give it orally? I had read on here of other people doing that too and I asked my vet about it and was told not to give it orally, only to inject it. Injected it won't tear up the tummy and it works faster. I don't understand why you would administer it orally.

Candace,

Frankly either way you are dealing with a potential problem, depending on the horse. Orally - if you are only giving it a couple of doses there's no problem under normal conditions. But if the horse needs to be given it over time, then something like gastroguard is definitely recommended. Injected -- also has its set of problems with reactions at the shot site, plus how the horse responds (jumping, etc.)

We personally like the liquid because it gives us the option of how to administer it -- depending on the horse and depending on the situation it's needed for.

I've noticed that vets will release the paste to most people first...until they are comfortable with the client and feel they are knowledgable and responsible enough to administer the liquid.........We are fortunate to have a long-term working relationship with our vet, and are developing a relationship with a second one.

MA

Actually banamine given by injection can still cause ulcers. We had a filly on banamine 2x a day for 5 days and that was the maximum the vet would allow because of the risk of ulcers--fortunately that was all our little girl needed. I was giving it by IM injection.

I do generally give banamine IM, and the vets here do the same. I commented on it to one of them and she'd never known anyone that gives it orally. Likewise she's never had a client have a horse get a clostridial infection/abcess at the injection site--that's a problem that (so far) doesn't seem to be an issue around here.

Clostridium is the reason many people give banamine liquid orally. It's meant to be given IV, though the directions do say IV or IM. When given IM there is the risk of clostridium causing an abcess at the injection site (banamine changes the ph balance in the muscle and that can lead to favorable conditions for clostridium to multiply & cause an abcess--which is a very nasty thing.

Thankyou, I was just curious about that. I didn't even know it came in a paste. (Knock on wood) I've been fortunate and have only needed it a couple of times. I also don't administer any meds like that without talking to Doc first.

NEVER give Banamine via IM. If you're going to give it as a shot, it must be done IV. Otherwise you're taking a HUGE risk on your horse's neck abscessing. If you've never seen a neck that has abcessed, do a search on Google. Not pretty, and not easy to treat either. If you can't give a shot via IV (the vet showed me how, when our Appy mare had gotten injured. It was really hard to find her vein, so he had me practice on some easier ones, until I knew, without a doubt, what I was doing.

If you can't give a shot via IV, or you're not comfortable doing so, the next best thing is to just squirt it in their mouths. You just draw up the needed amount, remove the needle, then squirt it in.

It's not hard to give a shot via IV. I have CTS, so I can't feel very well with my fingers, which complicates things. I found it easier to shave the hair, so I could actually see the vein (when you hold a finger on it, to stop it from flowing).

If you have horses, you should always have Banamine (or equivalent) on hand. I get it in the biggest bottle I can (we have 6 large horses along with 2 minis and a Shetland). If you only have a couple horses, your vet should be willing to sell you just a few syringes full.

Sharon,

this is the info that was given to me from Dr. Pam - hope she doesn't mind me quoting her on this -"I prefer using the injectable as an oral medication over using the paste, because I find it easier to dose correctly. I give it at 1 cc per 100 pounds body weight--but banamine is not for long term use. I would go 5-7 days straight as the MAX length. It can cause liver and bone marrow problems."

I always give banamine orally to my horses ever since she told me this, I add molasses to in (mixing the banamine and a bit of molasses in a shot glass) to help with the bitter taste. I just use a syringe and put it in the corner of their mouth. I also give probiotics with the banamine.

Nope, I don't mind at all :bgrin . I gave Banamine IM for years until I saw my first abscess--what a mess. I (unfortunately) got to spend a lot of time at ISU Vet School when we were in Iowa (a run of bad juju :no: ). They are the ones that got me going with the oral dosing of the injectable, and it works great. Oral administration is no more likely to cause gastric problems than injecting it.

I might add, too, that any injection can abscess. I had a nasty abscess on a horse from a routine rhino/flu vaccination in his hip a couple of years ago. Ugh!

Thanks to Dr Pam, I have been giving the injectable Banamine orally since I read her post some years back. I sure prefer to do it that way instead of sticking a horse with needles. I'm sure the horses appreciate not being stuck with needles either!

Last edited by a moderator:
so odd all these different vet opinions. my illinois vet did give me injectable banamine and said just put it in the mouth. I was told by ISU that this is a very bad thing to do. Number one the taste is terrible so they probably are trying to spit it out and they said it would not be nearly as effective as paste as paste is meant to go orally.

I have done it liquid by mouth, paste by mouth and shots. The paste takes a little longer to work but to me is much less stress on me and the horse then trying to give a horse in pain a shot.

I guess they all just have different thoughts.

We use injectable banamine by mouth if it tastes ugly just make sure it is far enough back to just get swallowed and not spit out. We have never given it in a shot but have used the paste but didn't think it worked as fast as the liquid...we had a stallion with an injured leg and shortly after the vet giving banamine he fell over and had convulsions that was a scarey first.

Well - I have NEVER had a vet say not to give Banamine IM - I have done it both IM and orally.

Going the IM route - I have never ever had an abcess occur - but that is possible with ANY injection... and I always use minis' butts for an IM.

Squirting the dose down them orally is far less stressful for some horses than a shot.

I would strongly discourage anyone who has not done IVs extensively to suddenly start trying to do them now.... or to be recommended to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe me - banamine is very, very bitter.
default_yes.gif
: I got a taste of it one day and yuck!! :new_shocked: No wonder the horses don't like it - that is why I use molasses mixed with it, seems to make a big difference - at least I want to think it does.
default_unsure.png
:

Latest posts

Back