Need Help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirenFarms

Reaction score
My horse got into the feed room last night. we walked him for 4 hours and he was acting normal, never really showed any signs of colic but we walked him just to be sure. he is still acting pretty normal, he wants to eat but our vet told us not to let him. and we did put about a pint of mineral oil down him. but he still has not gone to the bathroom, but he is acting completly normal. he is breathing fine and isnt showing any signs! Ahh.

Yikes, I hope he will be ok!! Keep us updated, all right? *fingers crossed*

You should be okay. Usually a colic from carb loading happens pretty quickly. Most horses can eat a lot without a problem. Was it pellets or sweet feed ?

Keep tabs on his hoofs, and be sure they're not hot. They can founder from too much grain. We've never had one get into the feed room but a friend did once and she had to ice the feet and dose banamine. Good luck!!!

When I suspect colic I give banamine, and a probiotic. Personally, I would not feed him tonight. Is he drinking?

we called the vet and he told us to let him graze a bit, that he may not have eaten much of the grain and might not have much to poop out so we let him graze a bit and now we are waiting. He has been drinking and he is very interested in eating. but we shall see.

thanks everyone!

Do you know what he ate, or might have eaten? Oats? Pellets? Sweet feed? Hopefully whatever it was it wasn't too much and won't cause him any problems. However, I would keep an eye on him for awhile yet. It's been known to happen that people have thought their horse was okay, given the amount of time that had passed, and they quit watching the horse, only to have the horse come down sick some time after that. In fact I think it was someone on this board, quite some time ago, that had a couple horses get into the feed room. One became ill while the other seemed to be okay. They took the ill horse to the vet, and while they were gone the other one became sick & I think died--can't remember though what it was they ate. The horse that went to the vet was saved, but the owner was very upset that she had lost the other one because she had assumed it was okay, since it didn't get sick at the time the other one did.

Latest posts

Back