Need help with naming a puppy...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breeding chis is a very risky and expensive "buisness". Our friend just had to spend $2000.00 in vet bills on a litter of two. That's a very common occurance. Plus it is my opinion that right now chihuahuas have become too popular for their own good. They are being bred left right and centre by people who don't know enough about it and the breed as well as are breeding very poor examples of the breed. Thus they're wrecking the breed and bringing more lives into the world when there is already a huge surplus of them. It's also my opinion that because chi's can have so many health problems that only registered and health certified chi's should be bred. I may have felt differently if there wasn't such a discusting overload of them being bred but unfortunetly "freaks" are being born. And don't even get me started on the *insert bad word here* people who are marketing their chi's as "teacup" or "pocketsize". There is NO such thing as that and anyone who tries to tell you that there is run fast and far away from them! Wow...sorry it turned into a bit of a rant!

I'm not sure if I like the name tika...it reminds me of the dish "Chicken Tika".

actually there are some pocket size chihuahua's..... go to Mexico and look really hard, you will find them, My neighbors were from Mexico and they are the ones who broght my little chi to me, and they told me for $3000.00 they could get one that weighs less than a pound and a half!

I actually didnt think there were to many people breeding chihuahua's. Its not a breed I would see everday!

My little girl wont be bred, and its not worth it to me!

Gage

~Palomino~ --- Although they may fit into your pocket they should never be called pocketsized...it's an insult to the breed. Many of those small chihuahuas have major health problems and I had a friend that rescued one and she ended up with about $10,000 in vet bills and the little girl only lived for two years. That is a common occurance with these very tiny Chihuahuas. Anyone who claims their chihuahua is a teacup chi or a pocketsized chi or whatever is not only not knowledgeable about Chis but especially if its a breed do not buy from them. The AKC, UKC, CKC and Chi Club of America all say anyone that markets their chihuahuas as teacup pocketsize etc should not be considered reputable breeders nor affiliated with the above mentions KC's. This link from the Chihuahua Club of America gives a bit more info on the teacup/pocketsize scam. http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/teacup.htm

I may of missed somthing, but why is it an insult to the breed? I think there is a big diference between a 3 lb chihuahua and a 6 lb chihuahua, and they should have a breed name for them, there's teacup poodles, teacup pomerianians(SP) there's alot of breeds who have diferent sizes, what wrong with calling them teacup to identify that they are smaller than the regular breed?

oh well, we all have our own opinions, and I dont want any harsh feelings, so I am going to stop:)

Its not worth making eminies over a diference in opinions to me:)

Gage

haha oh no I have no bad feeling I'm just have a good convo about it.

It's an insult to the breed because it is a "made up" term used by unscrupulous breeders to sell members of their litter which are simply runts of the litter. All it is is a gimmick, a scam to get you to buy the smaller puppy.

There actually is no such thing as a teacup pom. Atleast not according to any of the KC's..infact if a pom is under 3lbs it is considered objectionable.

There's also no such thing as teacup poodles, there is however such thing as a toy poodle.

I don't understand why you think there should be a different breed name for them when they are the same breed just one or two lbs different?

Tigeresss- Great point! We have the same issues brought up with Yorkshire terriers!

The AKC guidelines say 3-7 lb and people are always asking about teacup, pocket sized, tiny etc.

I wish people would research a breed before looking to buy!

Palomino

my litle chihuahua toped in a 3 lbs at the vet the other day, and she is almost two
The picture of your chi reminded me of the one I had years ago. Chantilly Lace was four pounds when she matured and marked like yours except she was a dark chocolate where yours is black.

bonloubri said:
Palomino
my litle chihuahua toped in a 3 lbs at the vet the other day, and she is almost two
The picture of your chi reminded me of the one I had years ago. Chantilly Lace was four pounds when she matured and marked like yours except she was a dark chocolate where yours is black.

524618[/snapback]

Do you have any pictures? I would LOVE to see them
yes.gif

Gage

I've GOT IT!!! [SIZE=14pt]BAUBETTE[/SIZE] Who lives near Baudette,MN
biggrin.gif
(pronounced baw-bet)

Actually, heard the name Baubette in some t.v. jingle advertisement and thought it was kinda a cool name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Mona.......Whatzitgonabeeeeee????????

rolleyes.gif
MA

I was wondering the same thing! Have you picked a name yet???
aktion033.gif

Liz R.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm kind of leaning towards Tika or Trinket at this point. I know neither have anything to do with only "one", but it seems none of those names seem to fit her. I really like Trinket, but I am guessing this girl will top out at between 5 and 6 pounds, so won't be small enough for "Trinket"...will have to save that name for a "tiny".

As for the other debates on here, yes, I am well aware of the fact that "tea-cups" do not exist, except in name only, and also aware of the costs etc. of raising Chis. I raised and showed Chihuahuas for about 10 years prior to my getting into the horses, so am very experienced with it all. However, that said, this time I am breeding basically for pets. I know the expenses will be almost as high anyways, but it is what I have chosen to do. Some may be registered, others won't be, but that is my prerogative.

Back