Is this a Scam?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StacyRz

Reaction score
I have been looking for a long time for a male Saint Bernard pup, and I am pretty particular about what I'm looking for. I have been looking in classifieds around the internet, and found one that seemed promising so sent an email titled "Male Saint Bernard Pup" and asked if he was still available, a bit about the parents, how much they were asking for him and if they could send some pictures. I received an email back and it didn't include any pictures, nor any answers to ANY of my questions. The emailer didn't give me any name or contact info either.

Am I being paranoid, or does something smell fishy? This is the email I received:

Greetings,

Thanks so much for the mail and your interest in regards to my puppies I

have three beautiful puppies ,a male and two female available now they are 10

weeks old, they have very good temperament with kids and other house hold

pets.They are health guaranteed and AKC registered.they are update in all

shots and they will be coming along side with their health papers and

vet record as well as their feeding hand book.I am not giving them out for

sale,but all you will need to pay, is just for the adoption and the delivery fee,

that is if you are not closer to me. First i which to let you know

that, it is unfortunate that I can't look after the puppies any longer

due to the mobile nature of my new Job so

i can't cope in taking care of the puppies any longer that is the

meant reason for given these puppies out. The litter of these puppies

were 6 but i have already given three of the puppies out and now there

are just three remaining, please kindly Provide answers to the

following questions if you are really serious about adopting these

beautiful puppies..........

-which breed are you interested in adopting?

-Have your ever own this breed of puppy before?

-Why are you interested on this breed?

-Do you want to adopt one or both?

-what sex are you interested in taking?

-how soon do you want it,

-Were are you located,

-Can I have your numbers?

-please get back to me as soon as possible

Also the picture on the ad featured a very cute pup, but seemed, I don't know... generic?

Not sure it does seem a little fishy. Proceed with caution.
unsure.gif

Stacy. Run - don't walk, away from this person. Scammers selling animals, often say they are for 'adoption' only and almost always show pics of someone else's dogs/horses etc.

Responsible breeders in any breed, test their breeding stock for the genetic diseases found in the breed. SBs have unfortunately, many genetic problems. ie. CHD, gastric torsion, entropion, ectropion, distichiasis, elbow dysplasia, osteosarcoma, OCD, diabetes, heart conditions, cardiomyopathy and pyotraumatic dermatitis. If you purchase a pup, demand to see the health testing reports from the appropriate authorities on the following: hip, elbow, cardiac and eye. Not just a local vet or the breeder saying their breeding dogs or puppies are 'healthy'.

Remember, many genetic problems don't show up in young dogs. Only the testing of parents can give you somewhat of an idea of that which might be in the particular line.

Most responsible breeders will not advertise on Craigslist or on all-breed websites. They will probably have a website, be able to tell you everything about their dogs, their health history, their show ring and working titles and at least know a 5 generation pedigree. For many years when I was showing my own dogs, I travelled with a friend and her SBs. Wonderful breed but watch for temperament problems.

I suggest you go to..

http://www.saintbernardclub.org/index.asp

and if you have not already, learn all you can about the breed. There is plenty of info their on all the health problems to watch for.

Good luck in your search and do keep us posted on your new dog.

Lizzie

Thank you! I thought it was just weird. I'm almost tempted to make up a fake dog breed name and see if they say they still have "one male and two females available"
default_laugh.png

Thanks for posting the info Lizzie! I have owned one Saint Bernard a few years back and miss him SO much. I had actually contacted his breeder, but she stopped breeding a few years back. His temperament was just AWESOME!

I think I may have found "the one" but I'm waiting on an email back about the parents as well as a few more pictures.

I have gone back to his picture several times and get butterflies everytime I see him.
default_wub.png

I'll definitely make an announcement and share pictures if he's the right one

Thanks Mona, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being paranoid...

Lizzie, Rough coat. I don't know why I want to give myself all that extra work though LOL I guess I just love the feel of the cuddly coat better
default_wub.png
:wub

I have had people respond to my ads in generic forms. I have had them call the puppies "it". I respond telling them that they are puppies. Not "it's". With this kind of an email I tell them I only take pay pal (they pay the extra 4%) or U.S. Postal Money Orders. I tell them if they want to send a shipper to pick up the puppy, they have to pay them in advance. I won't pay for a shipper they send.

I do advertise on an all breed site. I always answer ALL questions someone might have. I have not been breeding Chins long enough to have a web site. I have however, been breeding Yorkies since 1980. I no longer breed Yorkies as I opted for a lower maintenance dog.

I think that ad you are talking about is a scam.

I have heard about the scams you are talking about where breeders were getting taken by scammers. I didn't realize that the scammers had started with potential buyers as well
default_unsure.png

Calling a puppy "it" wouldn't sit well with me either!

It's a scam. I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist this past weekend looking for a Dachshund puppy. I got two very similar emails to yours. Asking me all the questions instead of me asking them! Weird. I didn't respond.

Sure looks and reads like a scam to me!!! Note not only the verbiage but the grammar errors, etc... This reads as typial scam. I agree, run, dont walk away

Don't forget though Becky, that a breeder requiring the perfect home for their dog or pup, will indeed ask the possible buyer, a ton of questions about why they want the dog, the breed, what experience they have had, have they a fenced yard, who will be responsible for the training/feeding etc. When buying, I'm always encouraged when the seller asks me a ton of questions. Shows he/she isn't just trying to dump the animal on first-come, first-served.

Lizzie

Good point Lizzie!

But I found it weird that I specifically wrote "Saint Bernard pup" in the title and they asked me which breed I was interested in... And they said they have three pups and asked if I wanted both puppies. Many reputable breeders strongly discourage getting two puppies at the same time...

I do like when breeders ask me a lot of questions, but those just seemed off to me LOL

Lizzie, I'm sure that's true, but the way the emails were worded, were very suspicious. Poor grammer and almost word for word indentical emails from two supposedly different people. I am sure those were scammers.

It's a scam. I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist this past weekend looking for a Dachshund puppy. I got two very similar emails to yours. Asking me all the questions instead of me asking them! Weird. I didn't respond.
default_aktion033.gif
Congrats again on finding "Fred"

I finally found "Judge" and will post pictures of him when I get him home, hopefully this coming weekend

default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back