Need Help w/ stallion during showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishroots

Reaction score
Hi, My friend has a stallion and she had this problem with him last year and now he is doing the same thing this year. When he gets in a class, halter or driving, he drops his penis. which is as Pink as can be. Even in the driving, he is going at extended trot and it is just swinging back and forth. He is fine outside the ring, but when he gets going and the other horses are trotting around him, he gets very excited and drops. Have tried Vicks in his nose, but it doesn't seem to be just the mares bothering him, it is like it is a challenge, with the other horses going by him in driving. He is a silver bay overo, and it has been determined that he may be deaf, as he can be sound asleep and you can bang and yell, and he just sleeps away. She is at a loss on how to get him to stop this, as he is a very nice horse, but this is not going to help him do well in the show ring. She asked me to write and see if anyone else has had a stallion that may have done this and how to fix it. Thank you for any information. Lesa

A long time breeder and trainer I'm acquainted with told me YEARS ago of a little trick she does for her horses at the beginning of show season.....when they still need a little help in the "tummy tuck" area....... This may also help with your friend's stallion's problem!
default_wink.png

As you are lined up at the gate to enter your class, have someone take some BLUE ICE ointment and smear it along the horse's belly button area.........The horse will feel the COOL air under there - especially when it moves a little, and TUCK UP. (And you can bet your friend's boy will TUCK UP some OTHER things too!)
default_laugh.png

You can also try putting a little bit of Vick's Vapo Rub ointment in his nostrils. That way he is unable to smell the other horses (ESPECIALLY the girls that may be in heat) and will keep his body parts where they belong! I, too, have a stallion who loves to "let it all hang out" at shows. It's very distracting, to say the least!

Hope this helps!
default_yes.gif

Debbi

What a totally great Idea. I have had the same problem in the past with a stallion and Im going to keep that in mind for the Future.

Just a light word of caution to those that will try the Vick's. I tried that at ONE show with my boy last year, because all he wanted to do at EVERY show is scream at the girls....he got a tummy ache and we ended our day early. I thought it might be the Vick's, so at the next show, I left it out of his preparation. He was fine at that show, and we haven't used it again. He is a nervous kind of guy, and not being able to smell his surroundings was too much for him to handle.

Jodi

I use the blue ice (or icy hot..cannot remember atm) and vicks in the nose...works great
default_smile.png

I have a GELDING that i have to do this too ...

Last edited by a moderator:
just before entering the ring "pinch" the corner of his mouth-inside/outside and he will suck it up. i handle my stallions when breeding so they associate my handling with that!

We have used Vicks for years an d never had any problems. Just used it last weekend at a show. I know I had a friend once that used something called Acclimate but I have never seen it

Vicks will also prevent your horse from smelling "bait" if you use it to get him to stretch out.

You could also try working at home by slapping - not whipping but a slap - with the leadstrap under his belly and using a command like "put it away" that you could use in the show ring. Or backing him up with a command also might work.

Good luck

Back