Need help Please my mini has the diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinm

Reaction score
K need some help my mini is 5 months was dewormed aug 5 and sept 5 had the diarrhea off and on for a week next week came back got worse had the vet come up.Temperature is good everything seemed fine.Found him very round said maybe worms still she dewormed him again.Also gave me keopectin(Pepto-Bismol for him twice a day)Still has the runs this was Tuesday the vet came .eating well only hay nothing else same hay that I have always had.I am at a loss what else can it be or can I do.He has a good appetite same character etc...Could it be from being deworned 2 times in a row and now there is no live culters ?...Please help if you have an ideas what I can do.....

1. Is he still nursing?

2. Is August the 1st time you de-wormed him?

3. What de-wormer have you been using?

4. What exactly are you feeding?

He is not nursing he was weaned at 3 months when I got him

He was wormed Sept 5 with exodus and aug 5 with Jeffers ivermectin and the when the vet came the other day panacur

He was eating 1 cup of 18% cubed grain (no molasses) every 3 days stopped that when he got the diarrhea and took the mineral block out to and has only been on straight hay for the last 3 weeks,.

Horses need salt and it would help retain water while he has diarhea. Have you had the vet back out? If it's severe, I would certainly have a vet out to check a few things. Babies are into everything- could be full of sand (friends horse just was) or could have picked up a bug of some kind. Babies crash quickly, I would have the vet out to do some testing.

I had this happen ..... come to find out my filly had ULCERS !! She got dehydrated, her colon was inflammed and she spent 4 days at the vets with a cost of $3600. We almost lost her !!! She is getting better but is still on U-Guard now.

Ask you vet about ulcers ASAP !

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back