Need Help Please! Mare Literally Starving Herself!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pamela

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet Cappy. I pray that God comforts your heart and that you enjoy each moment you have with your sweet girl. Cappy has been blessed to have been loved by such a special person.

Thank goodness she is still with you and trying.

Parmela, I'm really going to suggest that you add Ranitidine and Sucralfate to her Gastroguard. Gastroguard can take as long as a week to show improvement when used by itself.

Ranitidine you can buy OTC at WalMart or any pharmacy (a brand name is Zantac). It works quickly to reduce acid...in as little as 30 minutes, but only lasts 4 or 5 hours so that is the reason to give 3 x day.

sucralfate you can get from your vet as it's RX. It forms a coating over the raw ulcers ... adheres to them...and reduces the pain which the normal digestive acid causes. this and the Ranitidine make the horse more willing to eat.

If you are giving banamine I would for sure recommend using Ranitidine and sucralfate as well as Gastroguard.

Chewing creates more saliva which is basic so helps to neutralize the acid. Grasses and hays (especially alfalfa because of it's calcium content) require quite a bit of chewing.

Cappy and you are in my prayers.

Charlotte

What fighters both you girls are
default_wub.png
I hope Cappy turns around for you

When I was very young, he was actually my first "big" horse, we had the same thing happen. When our vet came out, he opened his mouth, and smelled Red's breath. The vet assumed he had stomach cancer, ran some tests to confirm it, and then Red had to be euthenized. I was so young that I don't remember much of any thing except being upset.

I hate to pass this story along to you, but it may have to be a consideration for your poor girl. Cancer is such a terrible disease and I pray that isn't what you're dealing with.

Keep us posted!

Good News, to hear Cabby is still with you...

God Bless You
default_wub.png

I wonder about a Nuti Cal for horses, being there is a paste for dogs, and cats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parmela, Im so so sorry to hear about poor Cappy! I wish I had some suggestions to help, but being new in the minis I dont have a clue. I am so glad that she is still with you. You are such a good momma!!! I will pray for Cappy to get better and not have to leave you so soon. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry this is happening to you
default_no.gif

My thoughts & prayers are with you both.

{{{{{{Parmela}}}}}} {{{{{{Cappy}}}}}}

We recently had something so similar happen with our old girl (21). Sissy has had a bad hip for years and so we brought her into the barn this winter and she was really doing well, weight was great, coat was thick and shiny, etc. We did hooves about a month ago and she HATES having her hooves and it was a bit of wrestling match to get them done. Following that she seemed a bit depressed and perhaps in a bit of pain, so we gave her some banamine for a couple days but she just slowly went off her feed and wouldn't eat. Wasn't colic because she was pooping just fine while still eating. We started giving her gastrogard thinking perhaps it was an ulcer. Her breath was awful and she started licking the ground alot, particularly where we had put salt down to melt some ice. When she developed ulcers on her mouth we got the vet out and they did blood work etc. Kidneys were OK but something appeared to be wrong with her liver (whatever that means. . . our vet isn't terribly up on minis). Could this be hyperlipidemia?

Anyway, the vet had us give her a shot of some antibiotic and continue with the gastrogard. She seemed a little bit better but still wasnt eating very much. Nose at her hay and she'd drink the "slurry" from us putting water in with her senior food, enough so that the diarreha (sp?) turned green but she just wouldn't snap out of it. Last saturday we couldn't even get her to sit up. We left her stall door open and mid-afternoon, she got up, stumbled out of the barn down to the pasture with the girls she'd spent her life with, whinnied at them one time and laid down and died.

Still don't know what the original problem was and though we wanted to get her through this winter, we were seriously considering not letting her go through another MN winter. Didn't want lose her yet--she was our first mini--but I guess it was her time. I wish I understood hyperlipidemia better . . .

Anyway, sorry to hear about what you going through with your mare. . . It's always hard to say goodbye but I, at least, was comforted by the knowledge that Sissy had a great life. . .

Latest posts

Back