Need help OTTB

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI,Thought I'd add my 2 cents in here.
default_wacko.png
: My sister has 3 OTTB's, 2 mares and a gelding. oldest one is 5. She has to feed an incredible ammount of feed to keep weight on all 3. She feeds Poulin "equipro" I believe it is a 14% protien. The gelding is 17hands, about 1100 lbs. He gets 5 quarts grain 3 times a day and the 2 mare are both 16.2 and around 1000lbs, give or take. They get 3 quarts 3 times a day and hay is 3 times a day-3 flakes each and it is alfalfa at 17% protien. She routinly has bloodwork done, no ulcers and worms are kept at bay with 6 week wormings. Now, the gelding you can always see a couple ribs, not as bad as your girl. the mares look good but no way are they fat. the gelding is not being worked, just turned out and the mares are worked 3-4 times a week for an hour or so. They also drink a lot of water, about 30 gallons a day for each. (I know because I fill thier 5 gallon water buckets and they each have 2). Sometimes they are bone dry, but usually about an inch or 2 of water in each bucket. Seems like a lot to me, LOL. So, I hope this helps, I know my sister laughed at me when I called to double check the feed masurments just now. She always laughs at me cause' my 2 mini's eat a 50lb bag in about 6 weeks. :lol:

Thank you for checking with your sister on what she feeds her OTTB's. I'm going to try adding another meal so she is fed three times a day.....I'm just used to horses who get fat on air.....With my arab and Rachel's pony it's a fight to keep weight off them....My arab has foundered in the past so I have to make sure he gets only first cut grass hay and only a handful of 10% protien grain.....Just enough to make him think he wasn't left out....Same with the pony....My 20 year old appy has always been good about holding his weight...and so has every other horse I've owned...I just can't stand looking at her.....Makes me sad....I see the other three who are pretty much walking barrels and here she is skin and bones and I can't seem to do anything to make her look good long term.....At least now I'm reassured that I'm not failing her or doing something wrong and that I'm not the only one with this problem. I just can't wait until I'm able to look out there and see her without ribs and hips showing....

Latest posts

Back